Need comments on elk/moose gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Need comments on elk/moose gun

Post by Marlin32 »

I am in search of a good elk/moose gun (in lever action of course) I have a BLR in 308, but I feel it is just a bit on the margin as far as "good" elk/moose gun goes.

I like the idea of the Marlin 338ME, but I am not in love with the only bullet it comes with!
Reloading the cartridge so far looks like a loss of velocity from the Hornady ammo, and makes it a bit less attractive at the moment.

But I like the premise, bigger bullet, manageable recoil.

I have been emailing Gary Reeder, (probably tired or my lame questions by now)
I like the 310GNR, I think it would be in the same "class" if you will as the 338ME at least in the philosophy!!

I think the 30GNR would be in the same ball park as the 308 and 307. Excellent deer cartridges, fair elk/moose cartridges.

Thinking about the 356 win too. (in a Marlin) either purchased or converted. But not sure that gains me much. Probably better performance up close, but not getting out there as far as the 338ME would??

Looking for comments from the experts. Would appreciate any and all inputs!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need comments on elk/moose gun

Post by Pete44ru »

[I am in search of a good elk/moose gun (in lever action of course) I have a BLR in 308, but I feel it is just a bit on the margin as far as "good" elk/moose gun goes.]

IMHO, your feelin is unwarranted - IOW, have no fear.

The .308 is a VERY capable Elk/Moose getter, especially given the wide premium bullet selection available today.

I'd be sure there is a low-powered variable scope (say a Leupold or Weaver 1x-3x or 1x-4x) with a prominent reticle mounted, and practice with the ammo of choice.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I agree that the .308 is enough for those critters. But since you ask about getting something new (isn't gret to have a really good reason), I'd suggest 45-70. Since it has with the proper loading taken the largest animals that walk the planet, it's more than enough for elk & moose. With the selection of factory ammo alone, there is bound to be a round that works well in your particular rifle, and is more than sufficient for the task at hand. Add in handloading, and the world is your oyster.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

+1 for the 45-70. 308 will definitely do the job, but it's a good excuse to buy a new gun! :mrgreen:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

With lever guns, I have killed elk with a 32 Win Spec, 30-30, 300 Savage, 308, 45-70 but my vote would be for a 348 Win in a model 71 or the 300 Savage. The only two moose I have killed were with a 338 win mag. Your 308 can get the job done but why not go big! 348!
Last edited by dkmlever on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Off the top of my head I've taken elk with the 25-06, 270, 30-30, .300 H&H, 348, 35 Rem, 358JDJ, 38-55, 44 mag, 444 Marlin, 45-70, 45-90 and 50AE. I'm sure I've forgotten a few calibers. A couple good friends use 308's with just about any ammo they can buy cheapest and I really can't think of any reports of lost elk, and these being the big bodied Roosevelt elk.

I think your 308 will do fine :wink: But if you are looking to just get a new rifle, go buy one! :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

If you like your BLR look for one in .358 win You can get brass or make it easy something I am not sure you will be able to do years down the road with the .338 Marlin.
But I have shot Elk with .375 H&H and 300 win and seen many shot with the .338 Win same for Moose. Too be honest non died any faster than hit with a .270 or my 7x57 or .280.
But sometimes we need a new gun I really like the older BLR's and I am a 99 guy! The biggest Moose I had seen killed was with a get this 6mm! Two fast shots a one inch group behind the shoulder and it piled up on a dead run too.
I would not even think twice about taking my 300 savage on a Elk hunt I know it has worked in the past and will work again Elk/Moose are not bullet proof.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

One of the puzzles I haven't finished putting together is a Winchester Big Bore in .356 Win.

It'll do.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Marlin XLR----.45-70
Browning BLR-----.300 Win Mag(if recoil shy,7MM Rem Mag) With Elk somtimes you do have to shoot 300 or 400 yds and in that case that .300 Win Mag would be about as good as it gets!(though the 7MM will do)also 24" barrels on those!
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... p-firearms
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I was talking to a friend in Colorado Springs about this very subject just last week.

Cay tells me that the 7 mm Remmag seems to be the cartridge of choice among Colorado hunters of his acquaintance. He mentioned that on his last elk hunt there were seven hunters in the camp and five were using 7mm RemMa rifles.

FWIW Cay also uses a marlin M-1895 .45-70 from time to time.

I'm not sure if they chamber the 7mm RemMag in the BLR, but I know they did chamber it in .300 WinMag. Eithere ought to be a good choice if you want something that will reach out a long way and touch an elk real hard. Due to bad experience with a Ruger M-77 MkII Stainless All-Weather Rifle I have no great love of the .300 WinMag, but if your rifle will shoot well it is a great cartridge.

For me, I'd use my .358 Win BLR. unless I could convince myself that I actually needed a new rifle, in which case I'd probably get a marlin M-1895 in .45-70.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 308 Win has been the most popular cartridge used by clients on our moose hunts over the past 8 years. There have been no lost animals and only 2 that were hit twice. Bullets ranged from 165 grain Federal Fusion to 200 grain Round Nose SP. I don't guide a lot of elk hunts but I send a lot of clients with outfitters in my network and we shoot some elk, red stag and similar sized critters pushing 1000 pounds in our high fence. The cartridge that comes to mind for these and would be as good on moose is the 358 Win. The next one is the 348 Win. I don't like the abrupt recoil of the 358 in a BLR and I've never shot a 99 in that cartridge. A 71 will need a special arrangement for optics if you choose to use them. If I have to stick with a levergun, and I am choosing my next rifle for elk and moose I'm getting a 325 Winchester BLR Take-Down with pistol grip and 22" bbl. Good luck with your choice and your hunts!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

35 Whelen just because it's fun to get a new rifle 8)

I can't imagine your .308 with a premium bullet not being just fine.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Nothin wrong with staying with your current BLR. If you are not confident with the 308, get another in 30-06. BLR of course. :lol:

I have never had the opportunity to hunt anything larger than hogs and deer, but it appears that those who have, feel the 308 is capable and competent. My only recommendation is to stick with a cartridge that you can readily buy anywhere (and the componets should you reload).

My entire collection of center fire rifles are all one caliber now (30-06), but it could have easily been 308 or any of the other more common ones. After years of playing around with different brands/calibers, I have come to the same conclusion as many others have - Keep it simple.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

One thing I should add Wile working up North I met lot's of Natives that always wanted to take me hunting or to check out trap lines, as I happen to like doing that sort of thing.
I learned one thing I have not tried yet myself but shoot a Moose through the hump, a bit low not too high he will go down then put another through the chest all this was done with a .303 So they don't make it to water dropped them fast as it's close to the spine or breaks it. The range was always 75yds or less sometimes a bit hard to do where I live in the South. But the .303 has probably killed more Moose than the 06 or 30/30.
So the .308 I have two but non have killed anything bigger than labrador Caribou should stop a Moose? I find the .308 only gives up 100fps with hanloads to the 06 in standard 22/24'' barrels and they are both equel with bullets up to 165gr, only 180 too 200gr does the 06 show any gain. And the 06 does push the 220gr load much faster but who shoots the 220 gr any more?
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I've taken moose and elk with a .308 with no problems. I have also used the 30/06 with similar results. The magnums are fine and have their place, but you don't "need" them. If you want a new gun, get one. I have a good friend who has taken several elk with a .243. He is a good shot and limits his range. My 75 year old uncle who has taken more than 60 elk and several moose swears by the .300 Weatherby. Shoot/buy the gun you have the most confidence in, put a good scope on it and keep the range reasonable for your ability.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

86er, I shot that Red Stag at you place with the BLR 308 using the Federal 180 grain soft point. Ran (staggered) 50 yards and fell over dead.

The 325 win I haven't really thought about and the caliber is right in my wheel house. Will have to think about that one.

Thanks gentelmen for all your comments. I knew I could count on you. Help me, no, I have more choices and options swimming around in my head, but I am confident if I don't do anything, the 308 BLR will do it (with 200gr NP)

I have always wanted a Marlin in 307. No improvement over the 308 obviously, but it is just a true old fashioned lever gun in a great deer cartridge, and maybe a decent elk/moose round at favorable distances.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Get a 444 marlin :twisted:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

How about finding a Browning M-95 in .30-06 (even .30-40 Krag)? That way you have five shots, pointed bullets - such as the Barnes or other premium bullet, and all the power you need. Those are nice handling rifles, well balanced and fast. Otherwise maybe a Winchester reproduction in .405 Winchester.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:35 Whelen just because it's fun to get a new rifle 8)

I can't imagine your .308 with a premium bullet not being just fine.
Many moons ago, a friend built a 35 Whelen on a Mauser action. Douglas barrel, stock from Fajen (sp). Did everything but the bluing himself. Beautiful rifle. Then he took it on a horseback trip for blackbear. Horse thru him then stepped on the rifle. So, he rebuilt it good as new. Never did get a bear. Next bear trip, he broke an ankle. But it sure was a nice looking and shooting rifle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Elk aren't the kevlar bullet proof critter some would have folks think.
Your BLR loaded with a 165 gr bullet is about as good of an allround elk gun as there is.
With that said tho, there's sure nothing wrong with buying a new rifle just because. I'm partial to my 405 winchester.
BLR 308 dead elk 245 yds.

Neighbor kid and a iddy biddy elk he killed with his 30-30, at distance much past the point which most internet experts seem to believe the 30-30 bullet is capable of flying.

405 winchester 151 yds

And just to feed the fire dead elk 243 210 yds.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a reason to by some new guns to me. But then, who needs a reason. I just like getting a new gun when I can. If it can take an elk, then that is a plus.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

If you want, punch,along with accuracy, range, and a rifle that you can put 20+ rounds through and still use your shoulder the next day, get a 338 Marlin Express.

Mine shoots subMOA, as do others. Hunting reports on elk and buffalo at Marlin Owners are excellent. People have put down deer at over 300yds with this and one member whacked a coyote with a neck / head shot at 370 yards
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 765.0.html

Here's a review for you.
http://www.unionsportsmen.org/index.php ... ction_ever

Shooting a 200 gr bullet, this rifle has about 70% of the recoil of a 30-06 shooting a 180 gr bullet, has a nearly identical trajectory, and it hits harder than the '06.
Sound good enough for elk to you?

This link is to a pdf comparing ballistics for levers currently in production. I may have to add the 356 as most people are under the mistaken assumption its a match for the 338MX, but past 200 yards, that's just not true.
http://www.kickinbak.com/posts/Ballisti ... arison.pdf
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Aussie Chris wrote:Get a 444 marlin :twisted:
I agree,get a Marlin 444, its a most useful cartridge.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

If you cant get it done with the .308, quit hunting. Excellent cartridge for all North American big game.

There is something to be said for the well-placed shot. If you miss with a 20mm cannon, you still miss.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:If you cant get it done with the .308, quit hunting. Excellent cartridge for all North American big game.

There is something to be said for the well-placed shot. If you miss with a 20mm cannon, you still miss.
Kinda my thought... Pretty good all around cartridge. Good for Big Game or Zombie Hordes - just pick your platform.

Though I woud still like a good .45-70 double...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

OI wrote;"Good for Big Game or Zombie Hordes". I HATE ZOMBIES............................... :shock: :) .