Where to start with .30-30 reloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Markbo

Where to start with .30-30 reloading

Post by Markbo »

I have a couple of threads about .30-30s... I got my first one and so did my step son. I am having mine rebored to AI. I have all the dies & primers. I need bullets and powders. Powders won't be a problem.

Do most of you guys shoot jacketed or cast bullets in the .30-30? which bullets - brand and weight - do you suggest I start with for both rounds? FWIW my new gun is used so I don't know what it liked and my stepson's is his GrandFathers. He has no idea what Pops shot out of it and neither does Pops... his memory is a bit foggy nowdays.... so I am guessing just 150gr & 170gr to start... but are there any clear favorites as far as brand?

Any and all advice appreciated.
Mark
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Where to start with .30-30 reloading

Post by 86er »

I am partial to the Speer FP Hot Core 170 gr.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I load the Speer 150 and Sierra 150 in my 30-30 AI. They both produce similar accuracy with all else equal, but the Speer bullets runs about 50 fps faster than the Sierra. I also shoot very light 170 gr. cast bullet loads with 10 gr. of Unique.

Your best bet is to try a variety of bullets. Your rifle will let you know what it likes.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Federal 170s seem to shoot the best in mine but I do not know what bullet they use.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OS I believe federal uses speer deep curl bullets in the 30-30 loadings. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I load a variety of .30-30 bullets. Several of my rifles (the ones I use most), like the 150s from Sierra. One, that I've used for hunting the most, likes Federal 150s and likes my cast FPGC 150s. It also likes the Sierra 125HPs for coyotes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Remington 170 Core-Lokt or the Speer 170's in front of 31 grains of H4895
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I haven't reloaded anything besides cast 150's for mine, but it also loves the cheap Winchester factory 150's. Shoots pretty darn well with the cheap Federals, too. Come to think of it, it shoots good with everything I've put through it so far. Just find what your gun likes and stick with it. Mine just happens to not be that picky. My buddy's 30-30 is finicky as all get out, and we have trouble finding good loads for it.

My friends like to shoot, but the task of reloading and making their guns shoot well falls on me. I've learned a lot this past year figuring out problems for my friends.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mine didn't shoot cast bullets that well. Now I use copper plated lead for shootin' and Barnes tsx for hunting.

The former you can get at affordablebrassandbullets.com
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Remington Coreloct 170's when I shoot jacketed, and my own cast Lyman 311041 most of the time. I've reloaded for 30-30 a lot over the years. It's a great cast bullet round. I've got a stash of Winchester 170 grain old style Silvertips that I use sparingly out of one of my rifles, too, but these are precious since they are no longer offered as a component bullet. If you are going to shoot cast bullets, you should probably cast your own. Cast can shoot as well as jacketed, and perform as well on game, but for the best accuracy, size can be critical. Each rifle is different, and each will have it's own "sweet spot" when it comes to a cast bullet load. Markbo, you didn't say what make your 30-30 is, or the vintage. There are those who would say that Marlins with microgroove rifling don't shoot cast bullets very well. However, if you go over to the Cast Boolits website, you'll find a whole lot of genuine experts that will tell you that the microgroove issues is mostly gunrag-writer myth. That's been my experience as well--not only with 30-30 but with other Marlin calibers also. Again--bullet diameter with a cast bullet will be a big factor in each rifle. As a gunshop owner I know once said to an ammo salesman who was trying to get him to stock some kind of new 30-30 round, "My 30-30 guys don't buy exotic ammo". You shouldn't need to either. Good luck.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Thanks everyone. FWIW they are both Winchester 94's. Mine is a 70's vintage and the step sons is a 50s vintage. His is really suprisingly clean. I was a little curious about lighter bullets too. Guess I'll just buy 100 ea of 3 or 4 and start working up some loads!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

If you want to try a light bullet load, I load Hornady 86 grainers on top of 9gr Trail Boss. I have to do a LITTLE kentucky windage at 50yds elevation wise out of my 1941 94, but am able to keep it in the X-ring with a little practice. That load comes to about 1500fps. HTH
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

My 1979 model 94 doesn't like to cycle short bullets/short case lengths. I tried some 100 grain lead flat points but they are too short seated normally. Loaded singly, they are very accurate.
I've got some longer 150's on order that should solve the problem.
Don't plan on short cartridges feeding well.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi Mark,

I load the Speer 150 grain FN and IMR 3031 for my wife's M336, and get good results....frequently 1 3/4 inches at a hundred yards with an occasional group you can cover with a quarter.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Hi Mark,

If you want to try a light load that's a nice plinker, try some Lyman 311008 cast bullets intended originally for the 32-20. These should be sized to .309 or .310, then check for a load using Unique in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. The 311008 isn't in there, but the bullet is a non-gascheck version of the 311441 shown in that book, and casts out around 115 grains. I've used this bullet behind 8 grains of Unique, for a pleasant, sodapop can accuracy load at 75 yards or so with no leading and minimal recoil. For much more info on lead bullets, check out the Cast Boolits website. They've got references for all sorts of powder and cast bullet combinations. Also check out the 30-30 section of the Lee Reloading Manual. Your 30-30's should shoot very well with lots of different cast bullets.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I shoot cast exclusively in ALL my 30-30's. The 311041 sized .311 that weighs 180.5grs ready to load. 27grs of 3031 @2000fps makes for a load with a heavy wallop.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, it seems to me that to start hand loading you first need to go make some empties. :lol:

As far as bullets and powder in the 30-30 I have had the best most consistent results with Win 748 and Speer or Sierra 150gr bullets. The Hornadys are good but they are round nose and don't shoot as flat as the others at ranges past 100 yards.
In recent years I've been using the bulk Winchester 150gr PP bullet rather than the much more expensive Speer and Sierra. So far it's working very good.
I've never shot cast bullets from any of my 30-30s ... yet.
Several members here have sent me samples which are loaded and waiting for a range trip.

For factory ammo I've always used the Winchester 150gr PP load. It's always been very accurate and consistent.
I've used a bit of the Remington Cor Locs and some of the Federal ammo but keep coming back to the Winchester.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have had good luck with the IMR 3031 powder and Sierra bullets. It is a good place to start, but be willing to let your rifle tell you what it likes. There are several good powders for the .30-30, and you can get many good recipes from a reloading manual. Hope you have fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost