New Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

New Rifle

Post by Wes »

I got my hands on a Browning Model 71 Carbine. It should be here in time for elk hunting this fall. A friend of mine has had it since it was new and has shot it very little and it's never seen a hunting trip.
I'm so excited about this one. While I was in the Navy I tried to order one of the first run guns and missed out due to a deployment that was a surprise (which shoulda been no surprise). By the time I got back there wasn't one left in the country (at least that I could find). I sure was disappointed. Couldn't afford the real Winchesters I've found since.
I've got the reloading dies, brass, bullets, rifle and all in one swoop.
The last time he was here at the ranch he brought that rifle and we worked some loads up that showed a lot of promise. He did comment about his black and blue shoulder after that range session and so I have been working on him pretty hard about this hard kicking little rifle with open sights (which he doesn't like). Thought it would be just right in my saddle scabbard this fall, calling elk in the dark timber.
I was thinking of a peep sight for this gun, does anyone have some ideas on who/where to get one to fit this rifle? I don't like tang sights by the way.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: New Rifle

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Wes,
You got yourself a fine rifle. Shoot it for awhile, they really don't kick that much. The 250's bark a bit but the 200's and 180's are not much worse than an '06. 200's will be fine for elk. That's what I used for a couple of years but never did connect with that rifle. I have busted a truckload of deer and one elk with the 200 gr. in the 33 Winchester, which is not much different, only a bit slower.

Funny you should ask about a receiver sight. I like tang sights and have no use for the receiver sight which is made for your rifle. Its 100% new and unmounted. I bought it several years ago for my son's Browning 1886 but like his daddy, he wanted a tang sight. You can have it shipped to your door for what I have in it--$60. I believe Midway wants $87 for 'em.---------Your call--------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hey Wes , good find . Will expect pictures of that rifle and all manner of dead biggame with large antlers later on this fall... :mrgreen:
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Congratulations.

Interesting how differently they sold in Australia. They sat on shelves for years down here. I guess most people did not need the power in a lever gun and those that did were put off by the scarcity of cases and high cost of ammo.

I stupidly parted with mine, and of course can not find a replacement now.
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

You lucky lucky dog. Good onya!

Why this rifle and chambering has never been released is quite beyond me. Even rereleasing it in the .450 Alaskan would sell numerous rifles I reckon.

Sometime gun manufactures are so stupid the don't realize when they did something smart.

Man what a score. Lawyer Daggit, I feel your pain mate, I truly do. The only thing I have to sooth me is a near new .375 94BB XTR. I'd still swap it for the '71 though.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Thanks everyone. I have an '86 already and am going after a '95 next year if I get to feeling rich. I like that 348 cartrige just fine and can't wait to put it to use. I did draw an antelope tag and may have to take it out for that too. Hell, I might even shoot a deer this year and I haven't done that in 8 or 9 years.
Sixgun, I'll take you up on that sight. I'll send you a private message for your address and get you some money on that and thanks.