Some Riflescope Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Some Riflescope Questions

Post by Bullard4075 »

With the diverse knowledge available on this forum this should only take a minute.

Almost without exception the eye relief on rifle scopes is about 3.5 to 4 inches, give or take a couple tenths.

Is there a mathematical reason (or other) for this?

Another inch (5 inch) of eye relief would be the ticket on my eyebrow-basher but I can't find such a scope.

Just when I relax and really start enjoying myself I crawl the stock a mite and start the blood ............. again.

Years past this has been from my .458, .338, 45-70 (Marlin heavy loads) and now 300 Win Savage 110.

Anyone know where one would get a Scout Scope mount for a Savage 110?

Savage makes a Scout rifle based on (I think) the 110 action but is the action/barrel relationship the same as the basic 110?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Some Riflescope Questions

Post by Cliff »

Some good questions. Some shotgun scopes offer a bit more eye relief, but the paralex(sp?) seems set for 50 yards. I also have a Stevens M-112 in the scout configuration and found it pretty much duplicates the M-110 action. Minor differences. If you look at pre-WWII scopes a bunch of them had a long eye relief. Back then bolts were not formed right to clear scopes, so they increased the eye reliefs, I believe, to allow forward mounting to allow the bolts to avoid the scopes. It would be interesting to see if the better scope makers would redo a scope to give a six or eight inch eye relief. Don't know if it is something simple or not. Just my take on this subject. Good Luck.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BREATHES THERE A MAN,
WITH A HEAD SO DEAD,
WHO NEVER TO HIMSELF HATH SAID,
I GOTTA MOVE THAT SCOPE AHEAD.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

My Leatherwood 3x short Malcolm scope claims 4-1/2" eye relief, but it's much longer, 5-1/2 to 6" - I measured it

Last edited by bdhold on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Almost without exception the eye relief on rifle scopes is about 3.5 to 4 inches, give or take a couple tenths.Is there a mathematical reason (or other) for this?] -
Yes - Eye relief is directly related to the lens configs/specs and the relationship of the distances between them, inside the scope (think: rob Peter to pay Paul).

[Another inch (5 inch) of eye relief would be the ticket on my eyebrow-basher but I can't find such a scope.] -
Long eye relief and high power/variable scopes are mutually exclusive (see reply above), so it's best to seek out what you want in low powered/fixed power scopes. 5" of eye relief is readily available from several scopes, the Simmons 2.5x20 for one. Don't be misled from a scope by prejudice, or by the marketing/labeling gimmickery of tagging a scope as a "shotgun" or "muzzleloader" scope. A scope is a scope is a scope - look at the specs, and buy what fits your needs.

[Just when I relax and really start enjoying myself I crawl the stock a mite and start the blood ............. again.] -
JMO, but it sounds like you need a longer buttstock length on your rifles.

[Anyone know where one would get a Scout Scope mount for a Savage 110?] -
Please refer to reply below

[Savage makes a Scout rifle based on (I think) the 110 action but is the action/barrel relationship the same as the basic 110?] -
Yes, so the Savage scout mount can be fitted to other Savage Model 110/10/112/12/116/16/etc rifles.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

4075, somebody makes a scope with up to 7" eye relief Iwill check my references and get back to you that would allow to use your regular mounts but you could move the scope forward as much as needed. danny

Burris IER scout scope 7 to 14" ER
Last edited by BigSky56 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

FWIW I found a Simmons AETEC for an AR mount several years back JUST for the eye relief. 3.5x10 and eye relief in the 4.5-5" range. It's not a high dollar scope, but it sure does what I need it too and I was able to move it out there a bit for more comfortable mounting.

Like Pete alluded to, length of pull is obviously important and something I struggle with. Most rifles come with 13"-13 1/4" LOP. My most comfortable LOP is about 14 1/2" unless I am wearing very heavy clothing, then the shorter 'standard' LOP works fine.

Throw in aging eyes (that were never very good to begin with) and it's a never ending search to find just the right combination. 8)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have always liked leupolds, because many models have a more forgiving eye relief, but it sounds like you are just mounting your scopes too far back. Move them a little farther forward so that you have to crawl the stock a little more, or get a lighter kicking gun.

Also once you get your gun sighted in, get off of the bench, and stand up and shoot like a man, offhand, and set you scope up for that kind of shooting, then be careful when you go back to the bench or prone, that you don't get in a bad position, but frankly, I have been shooting heavy kickers for years and I have never been hit with a scope yet, but my problem has usually been not being able to get the scope far enough back, to be confortable, but I am not a stock crawler, as my chest is too thick and my neck is too short, and often end up shortening my stocks to get the perfect fit.
NRA Life Member, Patron
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

BREATHES THERE A MAN,
WITH A HEAD SO DEAD,
WHO NEVER TO HIMSELF HATH SAID,
I GOTTA MOVE THAT SCOPE AHEAD.
BURMA SHAVE
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Terry , you ain't as funny as Wes Dakota but that had me snicker going good :lol: