winny 86

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DAVIDC
Levergunner

winny 86

Post by DAVIDC »

need a good 400gr black powder bullet for a win 86 , 8) 8) 4590
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Is it a vintage rifle, or a new one from Miroku?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Try a Google search and you should find several load sites.

Also, there is a great article on the 1886 .45-90 by Mike Venturino with loads - also on the Internet. I found that and a great deal more when I first bought my 86 in 45-90. Since I do not black powder in mine, I do not remember the loads.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

DavidC, crs posted some good information for smokeless loads in a post probably on the next page or two. In that same post there's an Australian that posted go to the BPCR forum.

I just bought a new Winnie 86 in 45/90 but I don't plan on shooting a lot of black through it. I'll be shooting smokeless.

Good luck.
Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

DavidC, I'm sorry I was wrong that post was on the Leverguns site.

I do suggest going to the BPCR site. They should have more than enough info on shooting black.
Old Law Dawg
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

If it is a vintage black powder era 1886 it probably has the slow twist rifling intended to push a light bullet fast.Lyman 457191 and RCBS 45-300FN molds drop bullets at about 320grn in 20:1 alloy. You might make 1500fps with FFg BP if you can get 85grn in the case, but of course I am not advocating that you try it.

Perry Owens
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Perry mentions the RCBS 45-300 FN bullet, and it's a good one. However, it's a gas check design. If you prefer a plain base bullet, I'd suggest the RCBS 45-325 FN-U. It weighs 340 grains with my 20-1 alloy, and it shoots very well in my three Miroku 86 .45-70's -- two Brownings and a Winchester.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cimarron Red wrote:Perry mentions the RCBS 45-300 FN bullet, and it's a good one. However, it's a gas check design. If you prefer a plain base bullet, I'd suggest the RCBS 45-325 FN-U. It weighs 340 grains with my 20-1 alloy, and it shoots very well in my three Miroku 86 .45-70's -- two Brownings and a Winchester.
That's the bullet I use also. Very good at moderate speeds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!