OT: A potential new technique for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: A potential new technique for hunting

Post by bigbore442001 »

Not too long ago I read an article online about some biologists using a unique method of attracting wild cats to trail cameras for study. I thought to myself if they use this unique substance for study why not for hunting?

It appears that these people have been using Calvin Klien's Obsession for Men as an attractant for mountain lion and other large cats.

I am thinking about making a scent drag and testing it out on a trail camera in the hopes that it works well enough to use it for hunting.

Any opinions?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: A potential new technique for hunting

Post by kimwcook »

If that's true, I suspect there's a pheromone in the mix the cats are picking up on, or catnip. :D Let us know how it works. I'd be interested in taking a cougar or bobcat.
Old Law Dawg
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

kimwcook wrote:If that's true, I suspect there's a pheromone in the mix the cats are picking up on, or catnip. :D Let us know how it works. I'd be interested in taking a cougar or bobcat.
What kind of Cougar are you looking for? :?: :?:
Richard M., of the ranch where Joe takes us near Hondo, has a story of one of his employees being treed by a bull elk during the rut because the employee was wearing a musk aftershave. Animals smell things which we don't and react to them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ people have been using Calvin Klien's "Obsession for Men" as an attractant for mountain lion and other large cats. ]
[I am thinking about making a scent drag and testing it out on a trail camera in the hopes that it works well enough to use it for hunting.]
[Any opinions?[

Go for it.

If a cold-weather hunt is planned (when you'll need a heater), you can always drag along a high-maintainence blonde who uses OBSESSION ! ;) :mrgreen:

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Never heard of that, but if it works, what the heck give it a try.

I'd be afraid of luring in the wrong kind of cougar. :shock: :D
NRA Life Member
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Do they say what type of cats they attract. Male or Female :lol: .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:If a cold-weather hunt is planned (when you'll need a heater), you can always drag along a high-maintainence blonde who uses OBSESSION ! ;) :mrgreen:
Definitely sounds like a GOOD idea... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sounds expensive!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It can be expensive. The real stuff is supposed to run around $35 to $40 for a one ounce bottle. I did confiscate some knock off of Obsession from one of the kids( it has alcohol thus they or someone can drink it. Yes. It happens.) so I am tempted to soak a small rag or cotton wad with it and do a test run.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

About 10yrs or so back a female jogger was attacked and killed as she jogged along a running trail in the foothills near Sacramento, CA. They found the cougar in question as it still had undigested chunks of the victim inside its gut. The "experts" theorized that it was because she was running and triggered the attack response of the cougar. Now I am thinking that she could have been wearing a perfume that covered up her human scent or in some other way triggered the attack. Obsession for men and Obsession for women smell the same to me. Coworkers asked me if I ever worried about cougar attacks while hiking and I said nope, I don't run I walk and I have a gun on me that will take care of most 2 or 4 legged situations i.e., .357, 45 Colt or 45 ACP. I usually smell more like Hoppes No. 9 than Obsession.