Pass it on Tradition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Pass it on Tradition

Post by 86er »

I met a guy today who confronted me about teaching him to shoot a recurve and kill a deer with it. It seems this bow has been handed off many times since the 1950's in a Pass it on tradition. Basically, you give the bow to someone. That person learns to use it from someone knowledgable about traditional archery and then shoots a deer with it. Once a deer is taken, that person passes the bow on to the next person. If you pass the bow on to someone who already knows about traditional archery their role is slightly different. They take a deer with it and then pass it on to someone that they teach to use it also. That person will then shoot a deer and pass it on. This bow has been passed on about 30 something times that are documented. I guess some folks keep it for a couple of years to accomplish the task. Each person puts their name and date on the bow, some in marker, some in what appears to be model paint or similar. I have been solicited to teach him to use it well enough to take a deer and then to take possession of it myself. I will then have to take a deer and pass the bow to someone (who I will probably have to mentor in shooting it - I can't think of someone local that is experiened that I would pass it on to). Anyway the twist of the story is that this started with a Winchester lever action rifle (caliber unknown). In 1900 this tradition started with one man and the rifle was passed along like the bow. At some point the legalities of passing the rifle became restrictive. The last person to have the rifle sold it and bought the bow with the money to continue the pass it on tradition. To me, this was a real cool tradition and something that I am humbled to be part of now.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Pass it on Tradition

Post by brno602 »

That's a great tradition!
I happen to shoot a 40 year old Browning recurve All I need is my arrows and a knife, No sights, no mechanical trigger,or fancy arrow rest, just point and shoot lol. I don't care much for modern bow hunting my opinion.
Hope you get your Deer and pass on the fun of shooting a bow the way it was ment to be shot.
P.S I am a hipocrate I hide on a hillside with my ultra powered Magnum Rifle waiting for anything to come within 400yds :lol:
But I like to get out and relax and sneek up on game with the old bow.But as to bow hunting I like the recurve.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really neat. Hope it continues a long time.
Old Law Dawg
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Excellent, over 100 years of an unbroken line. What I like about this, is that it evolved, when a problem presented with handing on the rifle, a bow was substituted 8)

regards Jacko
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way Cool 8) Post pics of your part of the bows journey.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Barebow recurve - the only way to go as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to bows.
SS851054 sm.jpg
All takedowns from the late 50s (25-65 lbs in 5 lb increments) except for the bottom two.
Plus I have my modern takedown with 50 & 65 lb limbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

What a great tradition that is. My old recurves still shoot good enough for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What an AWESOME tradition! Just wish it could still be done with the lever-action too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Cool!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

MOST Excellent......... 8)
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

good idea, maybe i will start a new west coast tradition, of a similar twist.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

A pass on tradition could probably be started using a muzzle loading rifle. Not many regulations on sending them around since they are not considered firearms.
UNITE
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Mokwaw wrote:A pass on tradition could probably be started using a muzzle loading rifle. Not many regulations on sending them around since they are not considered firearms.

Great Idea.
It is not the critic who counts