Petition to ban lead, this will effect fishing and shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Petition to ban lead, this will effect fishing and shooting

Post by BigSky56 »

Petition to ban lead sinkers, bullets etc. to the EPA by the greens . danny

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/scien ... odayspaper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Petition to ban lead, this will effect fishing and shooting

Post by Blaine »

It will happen in Washington sooner rather than later.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

gotta wonder if the Army's new green bullet is depleted uranium...
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Well, there you have it. As many of us have surmised these past few years, this is the new P/C gun control which will have millions of the soccer moms, she men, medical, educational and social professionals shaking their heads in agreement. Wonder if we will eventually get visits from Children and Youth Services if Johnny tells his teacher that so and so's father has bullets in his house? This is the one that is just deceptive enough to severely restrict our 2nd Ammend. rights. Effectively, it will shut us down, and they know it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

It happened to Ca. So not surprised :evil:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: Maybe we can still shoot down on the border where all the targets are across the river :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

It's nopt going anywhere in the current form, but will serve as a "probing" mission by the same folks who tried to shove micro-stamping, etc down our throats. CA has already gone round the bend with their ammo rules. When eventually it is proved NOT to help, that might actually benefit the rest of us (in the same way Chicago, DC and NYC have been an "incubator" for handgun control that went sour......
Certified gun nut
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Pretty disgusting. Is there any kind of substitute for reloaders whatsoever? Tin comes to mind but I have no idea how much it costs. I also wonder if a polymer compound with significant bismuth in it would work (cold casting of some sort)?

Obviously we can get by on solid copper and cupro-nickel bullets and shotgunners already have bismuth for hunting but at what cost? And what about .22 LR? Will it even function properly without lead?

Honestly, as others have opined I think that we're dead ducks on this one because people have been conditioned by the U.S. Govt. for 50 years to think that lead is a poison and is BAD in all cases.

Angry,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Next thing you know, they'll slap a ban on dihydrogen oxide, one of the deadliest substances on the planet. No matter that it has certain useful purposes --- in the "wrong hands," or even left unchecked in nature, dihydrogen oxide has been shown to be a very efficient killer, and destroyer of homes, crops, infrastructure, &c...

Many years ago, the entire population of this planet (with a very few exceptions) was summarily eradicated by a horrifying deluge of dho...

Get on the bandwagon NOW!!! Call for an across the board ban on this nefarious chemical compound, and for stiff penalties (fines, imprisonment, &c...) to be levied against anyone caught in unlicensed posession of the dastardly substance!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I found this:

http://www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_002.htm

Tin/Bismuth alloys look interesting (Cerrotru) but again, I have no clue regarding cost.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I found this pretty interesting:

http://cahuntered.org/articles/Lead%20Substitutes.pdf

Gold seems to be our best alternative substance. :mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Most New England states have already banned lead sinkers under 1 oz or so. The tin ones work just as well.

As far as lead bullets and shot are concerned, I'm a died in the wool empiricist. If good science proves that the use of lead shot and bullets is really having a measurable adverse effect on wildlife, then other options should be explored. keep in mind that I said good science. I feel a lot of the data to date is very skewed.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tell them you will sign their petition just as soon as they ALSO submit, and PASS, a petition to ban dihydromonoxide...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Buck Elliott wrote:Next thing you know, they'll slap a ban on dihydrogen oxide, one of the deadliest substances on the planet. No matter that it has certain useful purposes --- in the "wrong hands," or even left unchecked in nature, dihydrogen oxide has been shown to be a very efficient killer, and destroyer of homes, crops, infrastructure, &c...

Many years ago, the entire population of this planet (with a very few exceptions) was summarily eradicated by a horrifying deluge of dho...

Get on the bandwagon NOW!!! Call for an across the board ban on this nefarious chemical compound, and for stiff penalties (fines, imprisonment, &c...) to be levied against anyone caught in unlicensed posession of the dastardly substance!
http://www.dhmo.org/
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Banned lead shot for fishing and ducks over here years ago, dunno why the old stuff works just as good as it allways has, don't like steel, hurts my teeth to much and bismuth just crumbles which makes it just plain cruel. Nope if they want to try and stop me from hunting they will have get smarter than that!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Buck Elliott wrote:Next thing you know, they'll slap a ban on dihydrogen oxide, one of the deadliest substances on the planet. No matter that it has certain useful purposes --- in the "wrong hands," or even left unchecked in nature, dihydrogen oxide has been shown to be a very efficient killer, and destroyer of homes, crops, infrastructure, &c...

Yeah, that H2O is pretty dangerous stuff. People have been known to dilute adult beverages with it.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

we've been through this, copper is the only choice right now.

They could well get it done for hunting, but for range shooting I doubt if they could ban lead outright. Maybe, but too many businesses would be affected.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I hope none of you think this has anything to do with the environment, endangered critters, etc. It is all about yet another back door attempt at curtailing our Second Amendment rights, plain and simple.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

El Chivo wrote:we've been through this, copper is the only choice right now.

They could well get it done for hunting, but for range shooting I doubt if they could ban lead outright. Maybe, but too many businesses would be affected.
Zinc looks to have some potential, and it's almost as cheap as lead.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

For FMJ bullets, a copper or guilding metal jacket over some sort of tungsten powder core would work. Many tin alloys look to be problematically brittle but I'll bet you that something will arise given that necessity is the mother of invention.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
TBROWN
Levergunner

Post by TBROWN »

Yep this a bho classic end around move. He can express no desire to add
more gun controls and at the same time let a beaurocratic government
agency do his diry work. November can't get here soon enough.
T
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For those of us who shoot standard weight to heavy cast lead bullets zinc wont help us. I have in my bullet collection two zinc bullets. They are the same size and shape as a 230gr .45 ACP bullet but actually weight less than 145 grs.

So to shoot a 255 gr zinc bullet from my 45 Colts it would have to be twice as long as a lead one. That would leave no room for powder. Nice idea but it no workie.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***