OT - More info on True Grit remake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - More info on True Grit remake

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Saw this story, thought some might be interested.

True Grit Link

I'll wait to pass judgment till after I've seen it.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - More info on True Grit remake

Post by Warhawk »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Saw this story, thought some might be interested.

True Grit Link

I'll wait to pass judgment till after I've seen it.
There is apparently a total lack of imagination in Hollyweird.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

A FEW OF JOHN WAYNE MOVIES WERE REMADE...
RED RIVER....BY HIS BUDDY JAMES ARNES...PRETTY GOOD MOVIE
STAGECOACH WAS REMADE......IT WAS OK...ANNE MARGARET WAS IN THAT ONE
TRUE GRIT HAD A SEQUAL MADE IN THE EIGHTIES...
CANT REMEMBER WHO PLAYED ROOSTER...BUT IT WAS ONE OF THE
WESTERN CHARACTER ACTORS FROM THE 50 60 AND 70S...IT WAS OK

I DONT THINK THIS WILL MEASURE UP TO THE DUKE......
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

+1
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

After seeing the pictures of Jeff Bridges, I'm
now officially intrigued. I don't know how they are going
to improve on the original. Maybe it'll just be different.
I just hope it's a decent movie.

-Stretch
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Saw some of the videos taken while the were filming scenes....
and it looks like Mattie Ross is not carrying the satchel with
the Colts Dragoon in it....which is a big part of the movie.....
We will see if its been all fixed to be politically correct....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Saw some of the videos taken while the were filming scenes....
and it looks like Mattie Ross is not carrying the satchel with
the Colts Dragoon in it....which is a big part of the movie.....
We will see if its been all fixed to be politically correct....

That is an interesting observation....I do believe the original movie followed Portis's book in regard to her toting the Walker(though Wayne calls it a Dragoon). I believe that is true though it has been several decades since I read it. An armed Mattie Ross, ready to defend and take care of herself, might be a scary concept for the Lefty's. Are these Coen brother to the Left in their previous films?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I'll pass. Just more anti-gun dipsh*ts making a load of cash off a movie full of guns.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I'm looking forward to it. Jeff Bridges can play "crusty" pretty well, and rubbing just a bit of the corny off the Wayne version won't hurt. And as much as I dislike Damon's politics, I'm sure his acting will far exceed Glen Campbell's. I'll withhold judgement until it comes out and I see it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't go to theaters any more, I'll wait till it comes out on DVD then rent it. "IF" it's a leftist liberal piece of propaganda it will go from the theaters to the rental stores in about a month tops.
We'll see.

From the pics, the new Mattie Ross looks a lot like the girl played by Sidney Penny in Clint Eastwood's movie Pale Rider. I wonder if they're related?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

They claim that they are going to more closely follow the book and I'm looking forward to this film. I like the work of every actor they listed in that article and I suspect that it'll be quite good as long as they can avoid Hollywood preaching or any sort of "message" in the film. That's a big "if".

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hard if not impossible to surpass the Duke in his Academy-award winning performance (only one, those rotten leftists!). Still, Bridges is pretty versatile. Like others, this is just a big "IF". I have no faith in Hollyweird, that's for sure...
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I agree with RIMHFIRE there is no way a remake will cut the mustard, least not in my eyes. It might with someone who has not seen the original.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I once read that a sequel has to be twice as good to equal the original. I figure that has to be true for a remake as well. I doubt it seriously has a chance.
Look at the remakes we've seen in the last couple years. Just how many have we seen that were even half as good as the originals, almost none.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Seems like there is no respect for anything any more. JW is the Rooster. It is that simple, just leave it alone. Next they will be remaking Sands of Iwo-Jima. That will be a sad day.

I honestly can not say I have a favorite JW movie. So many were so good. Never be another one like him. Close?? Maybe. But he was the real thing. Tom.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

RIHMFIRE wrote: TRUE GRIT HAD A SEQUAL MADE IN THE EIGHTIES...
Warren Oates played Rooster in a 1978 TV movie.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JB wrote:
I never did see that one.

Joe
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looking forward to it --- although i have reservations about it being as good as the original.

Many times i wish they made more Westerns to enjoy today --- like Open Range, or the 3:10 to Yuma (also a remake) among others --- someone mentioned "corny" earlier and it likely is in response to some of the 50's and 60's era dialog present in these movies that makes them hard to sit through for a younger crowd

I don't support "The Dude's" politics (should he actually be nicknamed "The Doob" ? ) , but will probably see this one at the theatre anyway
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Maybe if we don't think of it as Jeff Bridges playing Rooster... think of it as Mike Nelson's kid playing the part.

Like they say, I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was.

I think back to a lot of men I knew growing up, real iron men. Nothing today compares with them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JB wrote:
yep...thats him!
I cant believe they made that movie while the Duke was still alive...
he passed away the following year....I wonder what he thought of it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Speaking of Dude, I also hope they don't "dude" it up too much. With a lot of the (especially cheap direct to DVD) westerns these days it's like they're trying too hard to be "period-correct" (supposedly) with the big hats and the outfits and the boots over pants (yes I know that was as much the norm in the old days as not...but "the look" gets a bit much and looks like a bunch of bad or has-been actors and CAS'ers out there popping off their blackpowders). Nothing against CAS, but let's keep it out off the big screen. Even Appaloosa got a little carried away with style over substance, not to mention a plodding story (biggest anticipation/disappointment of the decade). Make it gritty and sweaty and have the 'boys just wearing "normal" clothing--whatever that is. 3:10 was ok (a bit visually dark and a dumb-as-a rock protagonist) and Open Range was good, as was Broken Trail, before then of course Unforgiven, Lonesome Dove were good too... Jimmy and Henry in Cheyenne Social Club looked the epitome of some real working cowboys out there on the range. I'd rather see non-period '92s return to the screen than some of the circuses that've made it onto film (or chips) lately. Not opinionated on this am I?! (Just can't tell you how many times I've been suckered into a new DVD--in search of a western I hadn't seen--only to be "you've got to be kidding" let down). Jeff, don't let us down with a lot of costumery!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Not to speak of blasphemy but am I the only one who thinks Rooster Cogburn was a bad film. Rooster over played, Glen Campbell = blah and the girl was like finger nails on a chalk board. True Grit was better and I don't like Kate Hepburn. As much as I dislike her I'd take 2 of her before the girl in RC.

As for the remake I'm very confident that it will stink. They've never remade a JW film and had it be half as good as the original which doesn't leave me much hope for his one. 1/2 as good as a film I already think was lame scares the heck outta me.

BTW, the Oscar that JW got for RC was the equivalent of a "life time achievement" award. No way does he get that award based solely on that movie.

LK
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

One of the many things I like about TG is the style of the language...I hope this remake doesn't copy that style... that would be a really bad idea...How authentic the style is I have no idea.. it was new then, it worked & the way Wayne delivered it was superb...Seeing JW in a role as a grizzled slightly boozy old lawman was a real departure...sort of a semi serious Wayne character.. and was/is great... & NO ONE will ever top: "Mr. Rat, I have a writ here says you're to stop eating Chin Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now it's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of the same. See, doesn't pay any attention to me. " [shoots the rat]
The story is a good story.. Telling it in a more serious way sounds like a good idea to me hopefully they won’t over do it.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Don't know if you all missed this the first time around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUP9rOLf30
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

No you're not alone. Not terrific films in the typical-analytical/critical sense. Overacting on almost everyones' account, etc. TG (and RC IIRC) was fabulous scenery--Southern Colorado in the fall a film maker's dream--and as bad as GC's acting was, it was a great song and score. Kim Darby was an abomination. Her "replacement" and Damon as Leboux can only be improvements there. I like GC for the "idea" and feeling it imparts. I'll have to revisit RC (haven't seen in fifteen years) to compare that further.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Not to speak of blasphemy but am I the only one who thinks Rooster Cogburn was a bad film. Rooster over played, Glen Campbell = blah and the girl was like finger nails on a chalk board. True Grit was better and I don't like Kate Hepburn. As much as I dislike her I'd take 2 of her before the girl in RC. LK
LK, I think you got the two films mixed up. True Grit featured Glen and the chalk board girl and was okay because of Wayne. Rooster Cogburn was with Kate Hepburn, an Indian kid, and Strother Martin and was far and away better than True Grit.

The Shootist was Wayne's best movie. His work with Lauren Becall in that movie was superb. Wayne's best acting, beating the Shootist by a smidgen, was in The Cowboys. Again, interaction between him and Bruce Dern was perfect.

Although John Wayne didn't getting acting nods for his best performances, he did do very well in True Grit. His character, and his portrayal of that character, carried an otherwise poor movie and is the reason we still watch it today and talk about it now. It is my opinion that he deserved his Oscar for his role in True Grit as it stands alone - straight up.

I expect the remake of True Grit will be different, perhaps not better or worse, just different. I just hope it's entertaining. The 3:10 to Yuma remake was awful because of its incredible stupidity, and the dumb broad in Appaloosa single handedly ruined that film, but the remake of Monte Walsh was different and just as good as the original. I hope this to be the same for the True Grit remake.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Idiot wrote...“The Shootist was Wayne's best movie. His work with Lauren Becall in that movie was superb. Wayne's best acting, beating the Shootist by a smidgen, was in The Cowboys. Again, interaction between him and Bruce Dern was perfect.”
I will disagree, amiably of course...Those were good movies but I think JW demonstrated his best acting...emotional range... in “The Searchers”... One scene comes to mind...When JW returns from searching a canyon for his friend's womenfolk, but after having found their brutalized remains, he wants no further questions from him...and struggles to hold back everything..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Idiot wrote...“The Shootist was Wayne's best movie. His work with Lauren Becall in that movie was superb. Wayne's best acting, beating the Shootist by a smidgen, was in The Cowboys. Again, interaction between him and Bruce Dern was perfect.”
I will disagree, amiably of course...Those were good movies but I think JW demonstrated his best acting...emotional range... in “The Searchers”... One scene comes to mind...When JW returns from searching a canyon for his friend's womenfolk, but after having found their brutalized remains, he wants no further questions from him...and struggles to hold back everything..
The Searchers was good, and Wayne's performance in it was arguably one of his best, if not the best. No real disagreement here. Many say John Wayne was overrated as an actor. My view is that he was significantly underrated and there are numerous performances that back up this assertion.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Don't forget about McClintock!! I really liked the old indian chief. Tom.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rooster Cogburn was more or less part 2 of True Grit. Both were very good.

Kim Darby's performance was actually quite good. If you'll watch her closely in that movie you'll see it. I think most of you are demeaning her unnecessarily.
However, Glen Campbell's only contribution to that movie was the theme song. I could have played his part better and I was only 17 in 69.

Joe
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Idiot wrote...“The Shootist was Wayne's best movie. His work with Lauren Becall in that movie was superb. Wayne's best acting, beating the Shootist by a smidgen, was in The Cowboys. Again, interaction between him and Bruce Dern was perfect.”
Seaarches definately his best movie....
you guys should check out his other movies that are not westerns or war movies...
One of my favorites is the Quiet Man....set in Ireland....
Island in the sky.....is pretty darn good...Hatari is funny
here is a list of all his work.....http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Hatari and Wayne were a hoot--one of my favorites, a most entertaining viewing, Wayne or not, but he is key. Also, often forgotten, "The High and the Mighty"--the first "disaster" movie predating Airport by twenty-some years--complete with the requisite on board inter-passenger personal dramas. Wayne perhaps at his under-stated best, as the more seasoned pilot forced to take the right hand seat (by career circumstances) on a passenger flight from Honolulu to San Francisco. Note who's in the left hand seat: the young, unseasoned hot-headed Robert Stack, 20+ years later seen in the disaster-spoof, Airplane! Wayne does a great--again understated--job of being the one to remain cool and calm in the face of potential in-air disaster. Classic early "airline" flick, when the air travel industry was just getting started.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

So, what's next?
A remake of Casablanca?
No, wait! I've got it!
Remake It's A Wonderful Life!
I'm sure today's actors and producers could do a better job capturing the magic than those dusty oldtimers did. :roll:
Why mess with timeless icons?
But hey, what does an old grouch like me know, anyway? The last time I was in a movie theater was in Coeur D' Alene in the spring of 1991, when Dances With Wolves first came out. At the time I was about to give up on the theater experience because of inconsiderate patrons. And this was years before cell phones arrived on the scene.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

10-15 years ago they did a movie called Memphis Bell. It was the worst piece of literary license trash I'd ever seen.
That is a movie that could redone and redone historically correct.

I honestly can't think of a John Wayne movie that could be redone, wait, I've got it ..... The Cowboys. That is the worst western JW ever made. I utterly despise it. There was zero need for JWs character to die. There was lots of ways to do it so he was taken out of the plot to let the boys take over, killing him off wasn't necessary.
The "ONLY" good part to that entire movie was the way that kid off'd Bruce Dern.

Joe
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

the cowboys was one of his best but then they were all good so the debate is a mut point, Wayne's movies should not be remade.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

They should have cast Sam Elliot of Tom Selleck or put them both in the film....
and Robert Duvall should have been in it too.....just because he was in the first one....
Hollyweird just dosnt get it.....its sorta like the mafia....if your not part
of the hollywood liberal family of actors...you dont get to play...
and tough guy movies...like westerns are not believable when these candy butt
actors try to play...western heros....it wont work...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Any western is better than the crud they have been putting out.
I for one am glad they are putting a few new westerns out today. :wink:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Fiddler wrote:So, what's next?
A remake of Casablanca?
No, wait! I've got it!
I'm sure today's actors and producers could do a better job capturing the magic than those dusty oldtimers did. :roll:
But hey, what does an old grouch like me know, anyway? The last time I was in a movie theater was in Coeur D' Alene in the spring of 1991, when Dances With Wolves first came out. At the time I was about to give up on the theater experience because of inconsiderate patrons. And this was years before cell phones arrived on the scene.
They did remake "It's A Wonderful Life", with Marlo Thomas in the Jimmy Stewart role, if you can believe that.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

765x53 wrote:
Fiddler wrote:So, what's next?
A remake of Casablanca?
No, wait! I've got it!
They did remake "It's A Wonderful Life", with Marlo Thomas in the Jimmy Stewart role, if you can believe that.

That girl?! :roll:
Never heard of that particular remake, and am darn glad of it!
Does anyone here remember, about 23 years ago, when some Hollyweird genius decided we needed "The New Monkees"?
Auditions were held and thousands of young men showed up and made fools of themselves for a questionable shot at the bigtime.
They finally chose four clownish fellows, but after that, absolutely nothing happened as far as I remember. No album, no TV show, no nothin'.
If I could ask God any question, it would be why He chose to rain fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah, but seems to be inclined to spare Hollywood. :x
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Personally I liked JW. Met him on three different ocassions, once in a job interview. A gentleman, but... he also had a rep as a hard livin', goof-off. Both are probably true. If he was your friend, he as as loyal as the summer day is long. But, as an actor, he could only play one role... John Wayne. He might change what facet of his character he portrayed, but it was still good ole JW at the core. Maybe that's why he was liked by John Ford; Ford knew what he was going to get. I think that The Searchers was more Ford's directing than JW's acting. He knew how to get what he wanted out of JW.

Outside of The Searchers, only two JW movies deserved an Academy Award, The Cowboys and The Shootist. Yep, as in The Searchers, he played good ole JW in both those roles, but was superb in protraying the complexity that was the whole man, not just one dimension. Sorry, Joe; but, yes, The Cowboys was one of his better roles. Even the usually stupid movie critics thought so. (Maybe because his role was so short-lived). :P :P :P But, his character still dominated the story, even though he wasn't on screen.

I think that Bridges is a political nutcase (which shouldn't surprise anyone given that those folks lead lives that are so detached from reality)... but, he's a far, far more gifted actor than JW could have ever hoped to be... And as Rooster Cogburne he just might be able to out JW, JW.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well Griff, I'm envious you got to meet him. It was one of my life's goals. Maybe in the after life.

But, we'll just have to agree to disagree about The Cowboys. IT STUNK like a pile of cat poop.

We can agree on the Searchers and Shootist but never on The Cowboys.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:We can agree on the Searchers and Shootist but never on The Cowboys.
Joe
Aw, Joe... it wasn't THAT bad. It was the 2nd JW movie that my wife had ever seen. (The 1st was the The Green Berets), and, due to it she revised her opinion of good ol' JW, she agreed to watch others and even bought me a few of his old B&W movies... That's a good thing!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

I just attempted to count the JW movies I own. A swag would be close to a 100.
Of those there are some I just don't care for:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Still unopened)
The Sons of Katie Elder
Angel and The Bad Man
and a few others.

There is one I despise:
The Cowboys

And there is one I just can't watch again:
The Shootist

And there are two I've watched so many times I can watch them beginning to end in my mind, with music:
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
(I even have the music album for True Grit with Glen Campbell's songs on it.)

There are a bunch of JW movies I don't have yet that I want. I also want his album Why I Love America. I think that's the title.

So we have lots to agree on, just not the Cowboys.

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

765x53 wrote: They did remake "It's A Wonderful Life", with Marlo Thomas in the Jimmy Stewart role, if you can believe that.
Adam Sandler remade "It's a Wonderful Life" a few years back as "Click" with a modern take on the tale. Don't rush out to get it, I'm just offering a tidbit.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned JW's excellent work in movies other than Westerns such as "Islands in the Sky" or "The Quiet Man". He was excellent in both and if you want to see JW actually ACT, watch Islands and look for the scene where the search plane cannot see the stranded men and JW (portraying the aircraft commander) is on the verge of a total mental break down. James Arness is in the film as well and perhaps that is where the two began their friendship but I don't know any more on that.

And don't forget "The High and the Mighty"! Best co-pilot scene ever filmed. :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oly,

I think somebody did mention those movies back on page one.

You are very right about that scene in Island in the Sky. I have it on DVD and watched it a couple weeks ago. I hadn't watched it in a very long time and when that scene came up I about lost it right along with him. It was so very real.

Joe