Blue Bloods rant....it just ain't right

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Blue Bloods rant....it just ain't right

Post by Chas. »

Tom Selleck as a New York City cop? Gimme me a break. Haven't we had enough NYC cop shows? Mainstream America doesn't live in, want to live in, or give a tinkers darn about NYC. Most mainstream America actually own and drive cars, rather than stepping outside to hail a taxi. They drive to the grocery, rather than visit a minuscule market down the street. I'm a big fan of TS, but as a NYC cop? I dunno. Maybe if he keeps the Jesse Stone personna it'll be tolerable, but I'm way past NYC cop shows.

rant off.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blue Bloods rant....it just ain't right

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I'll watch Tom Selleck anyday.....
although i'd rather see him in a few more westerns....
There was a show in the 70s with Dennis Weaver...I think it was called McCloud
A Western Marshall in NYC....That would be a cool remake.....

Watched Monte Walsh last night.....great movie....
I need to get the original with Lee Marvin...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have watched all of the Jessie Stone movies, but is new one, a Jessie Stone movie or something else? Are we talking about a movie or a TV series?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

It's a new series to begin this fall. They've been hyping it here a lot.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll watch any Tom Selleck western and I own several on DVD, but nothing else he has done in his acting career interests me.

I've seen one of the Jesse Stone movies. It was OK but I wouldn't change the channel in the middle of the evening news to see another.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm way past NYC cop shows.
Boy howdy. That's one thing I've always liked about CSI Vegas and NCIS -- no New York City!

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

We have seen all the jesse stone movies. What does kind of get me is the dark-grey settings with that dreary piano music. It reminds me of being knocked out and just comeing to like out of a heavy dream or something. A lot like those old sam spade movies from the 30s and 40s.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like Selleck. There was a time after Magnum PI that he couldn't get work for his pro gun stance....I'm glad he's working again. It would be nice to see him represent the NRA.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:There was a show in the 70s with Dennis Weaver...I think it was called McCloud
A Western Marshall in NYC....That would be a cool remake.....
McCloud was pretty cool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

McCloud was an off-shoot from the Eastwood movie Coogan's Bluff.

I liked the move, the series... not so much.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Selleck is one of my all time favorite cowpokes, along with Duval, Sam Elliott, and of course "The Duke."

We (wife and I) liked Jesse Stone primarily because Selleck was in it; his wry humor came through. But New York City?? I hope that this new series works.

Kudos to the brave NY public servants who showed true courage and dedication at one our the darkest times in history; but I don't know if the NY cop scene will be a good fit for Selleck's persona. Kojak (Telly Savalas) was the best, and captured the Big Apple attitude with his fast-talking, hard boiled and saracastic remarks. "Who loves ya, baby?"
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I like Selleck but have no intention of watching another NYC cop show because I really have no interest in NYC or any other city. I really would like to see MORE WESTERNS!!! And not just any old westerns at that. Give us something with a realistic storyline, period correct firearms and people who know how to use them.
Like others I respect the people who put their lives on the line everyday but I really don't need any more cop shows.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Speaking of westerns that were good, how many of you saw the CBS mini series a couple years back that was a prequel to the Lonesome Dove series? I thought it was fantastic and stuck to the origonal theme very well, albeit with different actors. Wish it were available in a DVD. I have the Lonesome Dove series and rewatch it often.

Walt
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

considering that Tom Selleck's personal politics put him at odds with 99% of Hollywood producers, I'm sure he's happy to have the work. I'm also glad he doesn't relent in his personal convictions.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Newtmaker wrote:Speaking of westerns that were good, how many of you saw the CBS mini series a couple years back that was a prequel to the Lonesome Dove series? I thought it was fantastic and stuck to the origonal theme very well, albeit with different actors. Wish it were available in a DVD. I have the Lonesome Dove series and rewatch it often.

Walt

Are you refering to to "Comanche Moon?" It's been available on DVD for quite a while now.

Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

That may be it. Thanks for the hint. I will look it up on Amazon.

Walt
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I refuse to waste my time on cop shows no matter who is in them. Dr/ER shows are just as bad. I prefer to watch history, documentaries and westerns.

How about a movie based on the Marcus Latrell story?? The book was excellent!!

I'd bet we could name 50 cop/investigator shows if we tried........dragnet, adam12, mannix, 5-0, barnaby jones, .....................

TomF
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:I like Selleck. There was a time after Magnum PI that he couldn't get work for his pro gun stance....I'm glad he's working again. It would be nice to see him represent the NRA.
+1 :D

He's one of a very few who look absolutely natural as a western character. Really gives you the impression he was born in the wrong century. Sam Elliott is another I can think of, off the top of my head...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:He's one of a very few who look absolutely natural as a western character...Sam Elliott is another I can think of, off the top of my head...
...and Duvall. And even ornery Tommy Lee Jones in certain movies.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

FWiedner wrote:
Newtmaker wrote:Speaking of westerns that were good, how many of you saw the CBS mini series a couple years back that was a prequel to the Lonesome Dove series? I thought it was fantastic and stuck to the origonal theme very well, albeit with different actors. Wish it were available in a DVD. I have the Lonesome Dove series and rewatch it often.

Walt

Are you refering to to "Comanche Moon?" It's been available on DVD for quite a while now.

There were 4 books, Lonesome Dove was #3 in chronology although I think it was the first book published. All of them have been made into miniseries/movies. Then there was "Return to" and the TV series that were just 'based on' the books and movies.

I think it went:
1. Dead Man's Walk
2. Comanche Moon
3. Lonesome Dove
4. Streets of Laredo

The order you would want to watch them in.

I like Selleck a lot. My wife is looking forward to the show but I have my doubts (though to be fair, that's how I feel about most TV, and we're already down to just rabbit ears and a converter box. There's a couple of shows I'll watch on purpose in season but not every night. We watch movies sometimes but mostly read)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I will exercise my right to choose. I choose to watch something else. The media is catering to a certain market and most of us here aren't part of it.