Nilgai hunt how-to

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Nilgai hunt how-to

Post by TomD »

Anyone know of a place where one can hunt Nilgai on public land, or unguided for fee on private land. Years back I saw a package on the King Ranch for a you camp, you hunt, you don't pay much, or probably see much hunt... :) I prefer hunting on my own resources, it isn't so much to save money, if one considers the success vs. cost ratio of making often several trips that amount to expensive scouting before seeing much of anything. Just prefer to hunt that way. Might need to be a bowhuntable situation given the border crossing complexities of bringing a rifle to the US from Canada. Another option might be Mexico, though that doesn't sound all that attractive... Apparently Nilgai exist in the US ouside of Texas, but not sure where...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nilgai hunt how-to

Post by crs »

Tom,
Yes, the Nilgai have crossed the Rio Grande river into Mexico.
You could google nilgai hunts and find all sorts of info on them, including many exotic game ranches. You might even find some on public land.
Good hunting.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just to hijack your post, White Sands has a Oryx hunting opportunity (once in a life-time, kill or not).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

First off, Texas offers Nilgai on the State's "Draw Hunts". You can get the catalog for free from TDPW. Some of the chances of getting drawn are actually pretty good. I have a friend near Rockport, Texas that has a low fence ranch with Nilgai present and has access to another an hour away with Nilgai. Last I knew the price was $3000 plus the $42 license. Once in a while in the Medina Valley and south Hill Country ranchers will report free roaming Nilgai on their property. Since we are enrolled in TDPW game capture program it is not uncommon for the Game Warden to ask us to net or dart animals including Nilgai. These situations have been opportunistic - so I could put the word out that you're looking and see if/when any responses come in. The landowners will want a fee of some sort and that can vary. Also it would be a "get here as soon as possible" situation since the animals will leave within a few days if they are just passing through. A few years ago the Sheriff reported several Nilgai wandering down the shoulder of the highway - towards the ranch. We closed off the back gates and opened the front one. Just inside we put alfalpha and sweet corn. At night when the nilgai wandered in we closed the front gate on them and re-opened the back gate, thereby giving them 1000 acres to make a home in. The prices vary but depending on when/how and which I could offer one for the low $2000 range. The King Ranch only offers a guided package that starts at $3500. I also have a contact in Florida where there are nilgai on two different areas, one in north central and one is west central. Again, these are high fence situations but the acerage is vast and the animals are adapted to the point that you must hunt them and may come up short. Due to the natural activity of nilgais nearly all hunting is safari style. That is - you drive around looking for one and then get out to make an ambush attempt. Another method that is used occassionally is to set up before light or in early afternoon where nilgai are known to come out of the brush to drink or to cross while eating. I do not know of any place that offers any other hunting style. On our place you are welcome to walk to try to find one but unless if happens quickly you would have to switch to safari style after the first day. The reason is the nilgai and other animals react to being followed. One day two whether the nilgai see or hear you or not they cue off the other animals movement or lack of and become as elusive as big foot. CRS was able to shoot one with me after a lengthy stalk. We located a herd by truck and spent a few hours and several hundred yards playing cat and mouse. Piller tried the same but after a day or two it was impossible to get near a nilgai in the time remaining for his hunt. Mike was fortunate to be opportunistic. We saw a golden nilgai while driving and it was alone. He jumped out and made a short stalk that was successful. If you have any specific questions or would like additional information just ask.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope you get a chance to hunt them. The gray nilgai can become real ghosts when they want to. On the ranch in Hondo, there have been some, and when they are spooked, then can hide in a spot which wouldn't cover your hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I was very fortunate to hunt with Joe and have the honor to take this golden nilgai:

I used my Wild West Guns Co-Pilot in .457 and one shot dropped her where she stood. A beautiful animal and you can't beat the meat!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I think we're going to need a bigger smoker...