Few Pics From Pa. State Champs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Few Pics From Pa. State Champs

Post by Sixgun »

Well guys, another Pennsylvania Levergun Silhouette State Championship has come and gone. I met a member of our board, Steelbanger and I hereby nominate him to represent this board as an excellent shooter as I shot my usual "1 class below my rating". Steelbanger really smoked 'em with scores in the high 40's X 60. (I have a hard time containing myself to seriousness :D ) Also, our very own Jack Kort did excellent as he is the Coach of the Pa. Postal Team as he had the highest score in the first 40 shots. (Correct me on this Jack if I'm wrong) He was also "High Senior" Lets have a clap for Jack & Steelbanger!! :D ) My score were all in the mid-thirties X 60, but.........I think I won the contest for laughing and telling lies :D )

Weather was EXCELLENT with bright Sunshine from Thursday to Sunday with highs in the seventies to around eighty and lows around 50. Gunny, his brother George, his uncle Pete and myself camped out in Gunny's outfitters tent. (whew!! The methane was flowing :D )

With practice, playing, and competing, I shot 160 rds of 38-55 out of the 1893 Marlin, 200 rounds of 32-20 in the 1892, 50 rounds of 25-20 from the Model 53 and about 400 rds of .22 from the 1890 pump.

Looking forward to the next bash :D

Me and Steelbanger swappin' lies with the 1892 in 32-20---yea, yea, the hammers back

Jack Kort ---our very own and the smartest and most knowledgable bullet caster I have ever known, not to mention a very fine person :D

George shooting the 150 yard turkeys with a Marlin 30-30. Gunny spotting.

The Mighty 1893 Marlin in 38-55

My good friend Gunny giving me a "salute" with a cast bullet 30-30 :D

And last but not least, we would all like to thank our very own Griff for driving up from Texas in his Kenworth to spot for us. Thanks Griff :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Few Pics From Pa. State Champs

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :oops: :shock:
Hopefully only the guns were firing off some blasts! :lol:
Nice pics!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jack,

Yep, you won the "Tall Tales & Lies" contest for sure!!!! Don't go pawnin' off a pic of you as me!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MY EYES, MY EYES!!! :shock: :lol:
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Levergunners,
Sixgun is a very down to earth, entertaining fellow. And, he was very generous in adding points to my scores. I only wish that I shot in the high 40's but truth is that my best was a 43x60 with the 38-55 CB. The really good, consistent shooters were shooting scores in the mid 50;s. In our photo you can see that I was trying to not get under that rainbow umbrella with him, if you get the drift.

Sixgun has excellent taste in his personal protection revolver too. Seems we both had our 642 S & W's along.

That was one great weekend! Great weather, great people, and no pesky bugs!! Somehow the 4 hour drive home only took 3 1/2 hours. Hmm, how could that happen?
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Apparently you Pennsylvanians achieve shootin' weather a bit earlier than we do down here in Florida. If it's not in the high 90's here, then it's pouring down rain these days. I'm looking forward to October.

I love that Marlin '93 of yours. Beautiful work ... even if it WAS you that did it. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun.

Egads! I must have just woken up just before you took that pic, since, the last time I looked in the mirror, I didn't quite look that bad. :shock:
I thought I better take a pic just to make sure......ahh...that's a bit better. :D

Thank you for the post. Yes indeed, it sure was great with all the shootin', fellowship and fun! :D It was nice to see you, Gunny and Steelbanger again.

I did not shoot quite well enough for high senior....I would have if I hadn't shot 1 animal out of turn....duh(!) so I lost 2 targets, or so I thought (hit # 2 instead of #1 turkey). I found out afterwards that I would loose the target I shot out of turn but I could shoot the #1 target and if a hit it would count. Well....I did shoot at and hit the #1 target with my 5th shot but did not believe it would count at the time. Lesson learned.

As it was I was tied for the honor of high senior but in a shootoff that took 5 targets to decide, I missed the 5th turkey and Gary didn't. Congratulations Gary Doerr.

I was very happy with my smallbore total score though. It was my best ever to date (50x60 but 2 targets were not counted)
Sorry I couldn't stay for the Cowboy Lever Action comp. on Sunday,

A NEW NATIONAL RECORD FOR WOMEN WAS SET BY Judy Fisher in Pistol Cartridge...... 54X60 :mrgreen:
You go girl! The previous record was 50X60.

Here are the high scorers:
Small Bore
Matt Pavlick 55/60
Brian Wakefield 55/60
Mike Haynes 54/60
Kurt Bowman 51/60
Al Bean 51/60

Pistol Cartridge
Al bean 56/60
Matt Pavlick 54/60
Judy Fisher 54/60
Chuck Blender 53/60
Al Foust 52/60

Cowboy Lever Action
Jim Luke 55/60 High Open
Al Foust 54/60 State Champion
Al Bean 53/60
Randy Ent 52/60
Brian Wakefield 51/60

3 Gun Aggregate
Al Bean 160/180
Matt Pavlick 158/180
Brian Wakefield 155/180
Judy Fisher 153/180
Kurt Bowman 152/180

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a good time was had by all! Even the plumber! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sixgun,

Methane vapor cloud notwithstanding, I wish I'd been there with you!

w30wcf,

Thanks very much for posting the top scores.

CR
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I'm going to make it to a Pa silhouette shoot some time, got all the paperwork sorted this year but none of the dates worked out for me :(
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Found a shoot not far from the house. Pistol & Rifle Caliber classes are shot on the 3rd Sunday. Might just have to be home!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Great photos Sixgun!

It was great weather. I don't know who traveled the furthest, but I do know that the lone Junior shooter (Kirsten) came from down past Gettysburg. Talk about a dedicated father (chauffeur)! I was figuring that with 70+ shots times three rifles times 40+ shooters there were in excess of 8000 rounds sent down range, but you threw my calculations way off.;-)

Coach John,
Great shooting. Thanks for the offer of spotting, but like the movie that came out a while back, I can do bad all by myself. ;-)

Borregos,
I believe McKean County still has one and Ridgway has two matches remaining this year.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, Ok guys. Thats not Griff in the picture. Just another one of my lies. Its really Nancy Pelosi with mens clothes on. :D

I do try to enjoy myself as life is too short to be aggravated, especially the "click" that runs these matches. Seems like the "good 'ole boys" get to make rules as they go along---when it suits them.

a.)One of my guys was disqualified for one shot that was taken out of sequence when one of their boys could shot 5 pigs out of sequence and it was OK.----Oh, he was top shooter for the match :?

b.)Rules are rules "according to them" but one of their guys comes to the match while it was halfway done and it was OK for him to shoot through and catch up. :?

c.) Could be my imagination but how do "their guys" start out their animals on the shaded portions of the shooting field while the "little people" fight the early sun. :?

d.) The range officer (their guy) forgets to call "fire" when the clock started ticking and my guy who was shooting got started late and fired his last shot 1/2 of a second after the "call to stop" was yelled out and we were told that shot did not count. They tell us we should have been watching OUR timer.

e.) I shoot a chicken and it falls off the pedastal but the dirt keeps it from falling completely over so the range officer tells me "that hit don't count" because it did not fall completely over. We tell him its in the rule book that if an animal is off the pedestal and an object keeps it from falling over, it counts. He objects. I write it down as a hit and they take it off my score. Screw 'em all.

f.) They pull bullets from .22 mag cases and reinsert 50 grain Sierra's for their pistol caliber ammo---sissy .22 mag---use a REAL HUNTING GUN.

f.) They are just mad because we laugh all the time and they are miserable that us "flatlanders can have so much fun".

See---even adults can be small minded.

We all use "REAL HUNTING GUNS" with REAL HUNTING SIGHTS WITH THE SAME HIGH POWERED AMMO FOR EACH ANIMAL---THE SAME WE WOULD HUNT WITH....not doctored up "leverguns" with $500 sights, 10 ounce triggers, AND A DIFFERENT LOAD FOR EACH ANIMAL.--------Sissy's---ooooooo, we don't want to hurt our tender shoulders.

Hope you jerks see this---YOUR SCREWING UP THE GAME THE SAME WAY THE CAS & IPCS SHOOTERS HAVE.

Mav--where were you? Was I in never never land or did I miss you somehow?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

SixGun, My you are a little hard on the boys aren't you? Al
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Sixgun,
When I wasn't shooting the steel I was usually sitting at the picnic tables shooting the breeze with some fellas from Indiana County. One of them was using a 444 Marlin. I should have made a point of introducing myself. There's always next year.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cslcal wrote:SixGun, My you are a little hard on the boys aren't you? Al
Not hard Al, just statin' facts. I left CAS because of the 38 Spls. @ 600 fps and the 3 square foot targets at 15 yards. Levergun silhouette was originally designed to be used with hunting rifles with hunting ammo with hunting sights with triggers of hunting pull weight. With the exception of my club, Atglen, where we all use regular hunting guns, I most likely have shot my last levergun match away from my home club.

When I was looking at what the top shooters were using, me and Gunny got a good laugh. click adjustable sights with fancy globe front sights----trigger pulls of 10 ounces----jacketed bullets and a different kind of ammo for each animal

You know Atglen, don't you Al? Its where we set the rams on the rail, not 1/2" on it---and it takes a real bullet to knock 'em over.---------and we don't cry when we ding one :D

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sixgun wrote:f.) They pull bullets from .22 mag cases and reinsert 50 grain Sierra's for their pistol caliber ammo---sissy .22 mag---use a REAL HUNTING GUN.
Wow ... that's a little over the top. Especially when they could just buy the 50 grain Federal stuff.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Sixgun wrote:f.) They pull bullets from .22 mag cases and reinsert 50 grain Sierra's for their pistol caliber ammo---sissy .22 mag---use a REAL HUNTING GUN.
Wow ... that's a little over the top. Especially when they could just buy the 50 grain Federal stuff.
McNutjob,
Yep. But that Federal ammo is new stuff. Before that came out, the top shooters were pulling the little 40 grainers and reseating 218 Bee bullets----they lost an occasional ram with the light stuff. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( You ought to hear those grown men cry. :D ----------Sixgun