OT- almost run over by a deer today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- almost run over by a deer today

Post by 336A »

Whooo Hooo the rain let up long enough for me to slip out into the woods for a bit. I was slipping along through the woods with my Henry .22 towards one of the hay fields in hopes of finding some squacks but no dice. I was about 50 to 75 yd from reaching the hay field when I noticed a deer walking along the fence line just inside of the woods with 2 fawns in tow 8) I stopped where I was squated down and pulled out my binos and watched things unfold before me. As I was looking through the blow downs I noticed that there was another doe with a fawn bedded down that I didn't see initialy. I was squated there for some time thinking that one of them would catch my scent for sure as the wind has been blowing pretty good here.

I was kinda' hoping that they would just browse on as my knees were begining to hurt from squating there. I also noticed that I didn't do myself no favors as I had widow maker hung up in a tree not to far away. I was squatted there hoping the wind wouldn't blow it on top of me along with my knees hurting as well. About this time in the game I kept hearing something behind me but I couldn't make it out, I was hoping it was a nice fat squack. About three minutes later along comes a doe from my 6 O'clock and only 30yd away. I thought that she scented me as she turned and went back the way she had come but she didn't flag with her tail.

Then all of a sudden the woods just exploded, here comes that same doe comeing straight at me head on at full throtle with a fork horn right on her bumper :o I surely thought they were literaly going to run me over, I was thinking to myself UH OH I really hope they see me and stop. They slammed on the emergency brakes and came to a screeching halt at an insanely close 7yd :o At the sight of me the doe took off, but the dumb fork horn turned and trotted about another 7yd then turned and stared at me. So there we are having a stare down from about 14yd or so. Me wishing that season was open and thinking to myself that this 4PT has no idea how lucky he really is. Finally the pain in my kness was so bad I had to stand and he took off.

It was awesome to be able to get out and enjoy some time with mother nature. The whole situation just made my entire weekend :D
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- almost run over by a deer today

Post by Otto »

336A wrote:Me wishing that season was open and thinking to myself that this 4PT has no idea how lucky he really is.
There are people in this area who are absolutely convinced that deer can read calendars.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

That reminded me of the buck that jumped over my little brother. The old man had me beating the willows around a slough to flush out pheasants one morning. We had 5 or 6 inches of snow the night before and it was one of those brilliant white sunny mornings. I pushed a nice whitetail buck out of there. I was close to the edge of the willows and got to see it. I can still see it! The buck was heading straight toward Dad at first but then he curved over toward little brother who was behind Dad. Little brother just sank into the snow and the buck leaped right over him. Funny thing is he doesn't remember it. Of course it was about 50 years ago. Even so, I think I would remember if a buck jumped over me.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great story. Thanks for relating it.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

felt like I was there and wishing I was. thanks for sharing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot