92 Rossi purchase advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

92 Rossi purchase advice

Post by 2571 »

Is it appropriate to ask for price advice here on a 92 blue rossi, 24" with an octagon barrel?

I put a wtb ad for a used rifle on my local gunsite and a nearby ffl has suggested he will sell me one new $466, out the door.

If this advice request should not be on this forum, please accept my apology & delete it.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 92 Rossi purchase advice

Post by jlchucker »

2571 wrote:Is it appropriate to ask for price advice here on a 92 blue rossi, 24" with an octagon barrel?

I put a wtb ad for a used rifle on my local gunsite and a nearby ffl has suggested he will sell me one new $466, out the door.

If this advice request should not be on this forum, please accept my apology & delete it.
Based upon what you see on various websites, that appears to be in the ballpark. My own preference is to do my new-gun business with established and trusted gun shop owners, rather than some guy with an ffl, unless you really know him. Not to disparage all of those who hold ffl's, but with a reputable shop owner, you've got an easier path to take if your brand-new gun has a manufacturing problem and you need warranty service. People who are running small businesses have been through the warranty thing before, and already have contacts that can get them good and prompt service on behalf of their customers.

You started off searching for a used gun. What sort of other responses did you get? Sometimes, an owner who wants to sell a used gun has had the quirks and kinks worked out of that gun over time, and you could end up with a used-but-well-cared for gun that you'll be very happy with. Rossi leverguns these days are very nice, and reliable. But new, right out of the box, often need some work to become smooth as an old-timer, and not something that throws your empty brass 20 yards away for you to go searching for to handload. All of that having been said, though, if your ffl guy is someone you know and trust, IMO he's not trying to cheat you with that price for a new gun, based on what you can find on certain websites.
Senior Levergunner

Re: I like old guns & don't much favor plastic

Post by 2571 »

I apreciate the wisdom of your reply. I have occasionally acquired a problematic useed piece, like a Ruger pistol with an irritating personality/flaw (which was corrected eventually).

I have had no responses about a used rifle. Guess that means most guys like Rossi's and won't part with 'em. I'd never sell the Rossi I already have.
choctaw
Levergunner

Post by choctaw »

That may be a tad bit high. Bud's has Model 92s with the 24" barrel in .357 and 44 mag on Gunbroker for $400 plus $25 shipping. I bought a Rossi Short Rifle in 45 Colt a couple of weeks ago through them and couldn't be happier. You would probably have to pay the FFL transaction fee (my guy charges me $20). However, if you buy directly from a dealer in your state you will have to pay tax, so fees and taxes are basically a wash.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Buds = $400 + $25 shipping + your local FFL transfer fee = at least $450 OTD.

It's worth more than $15 to me, to have what I'm buying in my hands, and/or support a local FFL, whether storefront or not - or they may not be around when you REALLY need them.
"If we don't hang together, we most assuredly shall all hang separately." (B.Franklin)

Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, Buds = $400 + $25 shipping + your local FFL transfer fee = at least $450 OTD.

It's worth more than $15 to me, to have what I'm buying in my hands, and/or support a local FFL, whether storefront or not - or they may not be around when you REALLY need them.
"If we don't hang together, we most assuredly shall all hang separately." (B.Franklin)

Sounds good, but you left out the sales tax. Where I live, that's 9-3/8% state & local, so that'd make the total more like $492. I just bought a new Rossi .357 from Bud's for $424, shipped. Didn't have to pay sales tax.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I live in the Detroit area. Cheapest ffl guy I know charges $60 for a transfer. Sales tax, statewide, is 6%.

Thanks, y'all. Had the guy order the rifle for me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Cheapest ffl guy I know charges $60 for a transfer. Sales tax, statewide, is 6%.]

Good move - $466 OTD is better than Bud's $424 + $60 + $29 tax = $513 - a savings of $47, enough for ammo or loading dies, etc.

choctaw
Levergunner

Post by choctaw »

Actually that would be $445 plus tax out the door if bought in my locality. I saved $40.60 by buying online and not paying tax. FFL holders (I have been one, so has my father) are no different than any other business. If you are providing an equal good or service at a higher cost, most people prefer to not spend more of their money on an item when they can pay less.
Senior Levergunner

Re: 92 Rossi purchased after hearing y'all's advice

Post by 2571 »

FWIW, ffl says to exepct deliver 2-3 days. Ordered the rifle after he talked to me & before I pony'd up a deposit. Nice guy, very personable. I believe him.

Economy is bad. He's an unemployed civil engineer. Says selling guns is more fun than designing road beds. And, he owns some leverguns!

Thanks everybody!