Uberti 45-75 Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti 45-75 Range Report

Post by Martini450 »

Hello All,

Well, it's been far too long since I've posted anything in this forum, for which I apologize. Seems like my little year and a half old twin boys keep things busy enough to keep me from getting much computer time, but they're asleep right now, so here goes!

I've had an Uberti 1876 copy in 45-75 since last year, but Uberti had the chamber dimensions incorrect in the early guns of this caliber, of which mine is one. Long and short of it is, after some research I found that Uberti had corrected the issue, so I contacted them and they sent a barrel with the correct SAAMI spec chamber dimensions to Taylor's, who replaced the barrel. It's a beautiful rifle, and the only complaint I now have is the trigger pull, which I can only describe as horrible; it's at least fifteen pounds. No big deal, I'll just take it to a gunsmith for a trigger job.

Friday last week, I was able to take my rifle out for the first time. For ammunition, I had eighteen rounds of Ten-X smokeless factory, and two different black powder handloads of my own concoction. The handloads consisted of new Jamison brass, Winchester large magnum rifle primers, a single .030" over powder card wad, and a 350 grain RNFP with two grease grooves, lubed with SPG. The bullets were Black Dawge, purchased from Powder Inc. The only difference between the two loads was the powder, one being 68 grains of 1 1/2Fg Swiss, and the other being 67 grains of Goex Express FFg. Powder was loaded into the case with a 24" drop tube, and seating the bullet compressed the charge 1/10" for both loads.

None of the Jamison brass I had was the full 1.89", which is MOL for this cartridge. I sorted it into four batches of similar lengths: 1.88", 1.875", 1.872", and 1.868". The first three were loaded up as is, but the shortest I plan to run through the sizing die first, to see if they'll add a little length.

Because of the variations in case length, as well as the very heavy trigger pull, I wasn't expecting target grade accuracy this first time out, and truthfully, I didn't get target grade accuracy. I only set the target up at 50 yards, to just get a feel for the rifle and loads, and while it wouldn't have won any matches that day, the rifle performed pretty well all things considered. Best five shot Swiss group was 1 9/10", and the best Goex group was 3 1/10". Three of the five shots in the Goex group clustered into a half inch, however. The Ten-X factory ammo came in at just over two inches. All groups were shot from the bench, incidentally. Like I said, not exactly precision shooting, but not bad considering the trigger and brass issues. I definitely think the rifle has a lot of potential.

My next step with this gun is to get a good gunsmith to remedy the trigger. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I know the groups would have been tighter with a good trigger. Do any of the Virginia folk on this forum have a gunsmith they'd recommend? I live in occupied Virginia (Fairfax), but would drive elsewhere in the state for good work.

So there it is, my first post in forever, and I talked everyone's ears off. Sorry for being an absentee member. Actually, I took my Sharps out last week as well, so maybe I'll post those results a little later!

Cheers!
Hobie

Re: Uberti 45-75 Range Report

Post by Hobie »

I would love to help a fellow Virginian but am a loss as to whom I might recommend for a trigger job on these. They are simple triggers and if the burrs are gone it is down to the mainspring.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Welcome back! I'm listening in from central VA. for answer to your gunsmith question WHERE EVER he is in VA. If I find a good one, I'll pass it along. Incidentally our sons were aged 5 and 3 when our twin girls were born (the twins are now 29). Have fun with those twins. They'll be great playmates.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Martini450,

Try M&M Gunsmithing, he's in Alexandria. This is the last contact info have for him.

M&M Gunsmithing
Mike McClellan
204 South Union ST.
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 739-2150
Fax: (703) 739-9890
Web Site: http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/
E-mail: mail@mmgunsmithing.com

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

toggle-link uberti rifle......cody conagher at the Cowboy Shop...right in edge of WV near Winchester.....google Cowboy Shop
He can slick that rifle up and you won't realize its the same rifle you gave him. BTW Cody Conagher is his SASS alias, his real name is Don Jones, and his wife works for Taylor's and Co. He's one of the very best pards you'll ever deal with.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks for the names; since reading your responses I've already left a voicemail with M&M Gunsmithing, and called Cody Conhager's as well. Looks like the Cowboy Shop is closed until the 20th. Alexandria is fifteen minutes away, and the wife and I drive out near where the Cowboy Shop is fairly often, so either would be great. I'll keep you all posted about how it turns out.

Having a blast with my little boys, although they do keep us busy. Last Friday was my first visit to the range in twelve months, but I'm not complaining. They're already becoming great playmates, like you said. They're both really starting to pick up a lot of words, too. Every time little Chuck sees a long slender box, he says "rifle"! Yup, I'm a proud papa!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

Cody may be off hunting. I know he'll be at the NE Regional near Federick MD 9/30 - 10/3....Cody has made a living and his reputation as the co-developer of the short-stroke for toggle link cowboy rifles like the 66 and 73 (the 76 is a 73 on steroids)....He's also a whiz with revolvers as well and can do jus about anything you want. Getting ready to have him do another rifle and 2 Rugers for me when I see him. you should come to that shoot and watch some of the long range stuff and check out vendors there. I've been seriously considering a 76 myself, but ended up with a vintage '86 in 40-65 and a first year Marlin 95 also in 40-65 that I'm in process of working up accurate smokeless and BP (or sub) loads. Got me a Uberti hi-wall in 40-65 to compliment the two lever guns. (God, I wish I could afford an original hi-wall in 40-65). Good luck with your '76, the're a hoot to shoot as one of my traveling companions coming up this year has one.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks for the heads up on the NE Regional. I'd love to make it, but I'm going to be in Texas that weekend Thursday through Sunday helping a buddy celebrate turning 40; it's been a few years since he helped me celebrate mine! I've heard of Cody Conhager before, and his short stroke action jobs, and I knew the folks at Taylor's worked pretty closely with him. Don't know why I didn't think to try him. Shot him an email this evening, so hopefully I'll hear back soon. It's a nice drive from here to where he is, so I'd like to drop it off in person. I might take an Uberti revolver to him for trigger work as well.

I do like my '76, but there sure isn't anything wrong with an original '86! Wanted to get one in 45-70 for years, but haven't gotten around to it. I've had an Uberti '73 in 44-40 for about thirteen years, and it's one of my favorite rifles. It's cycled at least five thousand rounds in that time, and never even hiccuped.

Have a good time up in Frederick.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I'll second Longarm's recommendation of Cody Conager. He does top notch work and is a great guy. I first met him in 1998 when I started in CAS, and I've shot with him many times. Of course, now that I'm in Colorado, I rarely see him. But he's the man for gunsmithing!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

thanx 450, and u have a nice and safe trip to Texas......If you're near Cody's you can always stop at Charles Towne and check out the "ponies" :roll:
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks to everyone for all your input. I've actually heard back from both Cody and Mike by email today, and Mike followed up with a phone call. My impression is I can't go wrong with either of them, but I'll probably end up going with Cody because he specializes in the Winchester toggle action. Also, Cody's email said he'd be able to do the work right there while I waited, which is sure a big plus. I think I'm going to leave my Cimarron/Uberti SAA with him for a trigger job as well. I'll post the results as soon as the work is done, probably in the next two or three weeks.

Looking forward to Texas, but my wife and I are leaving the squirts with family for the weekend. This will be the first time, so I'm gonna miss 'em. I guess that makes me a big softy.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

So I should be heading up to Cody Conhager's shop tomorrow to have the trigger done on my '76. I spoke with him on the phone a couple of days ago, and he said he'd do it right there while I wait. Hopefully he'll have a trigger pull gauge; I'd really like to know just how heavy the thing is before the trigger job.

For anyone who's interested, I'll post the results ASAP.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I enjoyed your report. I'm sure you can get very good accuracy with your '76 once you find the right bullet diameter/alloy/load/powder/COL. I have an original '76 and the trigger pull on that one is pretty hard as well.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kirk. Hopefully I will be able to get closer to the rifle's potential now; my trip to Cody's today was a success, and the rifle now has about a three and a half pound trigger. Between traveling and my two boys, it will be a few weeks before the gun gets back to the range, but I will definitely be posting another report once its done.

By the way, in case anyone's interested, Cody did use a trigger pull gauge on my rifle before doing the work. At over seven pounds, the trigger still hadn't tripped, so he gave up trying to get an accurate reading. About fifteen minutes worth of work set everything right, though. I definitely recommend him for work on old levergun designs.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

3 1/2# to me is an ideal all purpose rifle trigger....my 3 73s all break between 3 and 4#, as well as my big bore lever guns. I'm glad you had a good experience with Don, although I never doubted you'd be satisfied if you chose to deal with him. I'm planning on leaving at least a pr of vaqueros with him and maybe one of my 73s for short-stroking next weeken at Mason-Dixon Stampede. We'll be anxiously awaiting your next range report.....Happy Trails
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Hey, it's great to hear your trigger pull problem is fixed. Look forward to another range report. I've got 80 rounds of .45-75 loaded up just waiting to get to the range to generate some data. I cast up some Lyman #457191 and they run 290g. I've also loaded the last of my 350g BACO bullets. I hope my mold gets here soon. I'm still working with smokless (5744) but am planning to start some black powder loads soon.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Good to hear from you Cimarron. Just got back a few days ago from my trip to Texas, so I've been off line for a little while, and away from the range and loading bench. Hopefully I'll have another range report with the improved trigger in the next couple of weeks. Think I'll be ordering some of those BACO bullets to check out as well.

By the way, for any of you all that may be traveling any where near Austin Texas in the future, I would definitely recommend The Salt Lick for barbecue. As a Virginia boy, I generally prefer pork for barbecue, but they make beef brisket down there that just may be illegal, it's so good!!! Like the bumper sticker says, if God didn't mean for us to eat animals, why'd are they made out of meat? Fine dining down Texas way...

Sorry to get a little of topic, but I like good 'cue almost as much as my guns.