So, let's try this again... Do you own handgun(s)?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Do you own handguns?

I would never own a handgun, they're evil...
1%
I CAN'T own a handgun.
2%
I have no use for handguns.
2%
I own a handgun(s) but only because I inherited it(them).
No votes
I own a handgun but only because my job requires it.
No votes
I like handguns and own as many as I can afford.
83%
I'm addicted and own more than I can really afford.
14%

Total votes: 132
Hobie

So, let's try this again... Do you own handgun(s)?

Post by Hobie »

Do you own handguns? Refuse to? Think leverguns are fine but handguns are the tools of SATAN?

Please, if you don't want to compromise your security just answer the poll, we can't track posters of responses.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Do you own handgun(s)?

Post by AJMD429 »

What's a 'handgun'...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I have a boatload of handguns, but only about four longarms.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I keep a variety of handguns, roughly half revolvers and half autoloaders. Calibers from 22LR to 44 mag. I hunt with them, carry them for SD and some are just for fun at the range.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

At first I didn't think I could answer any of the questions truthfully.

Even when my job required it, it wasn't the sole reason I owned handguns. I owned handguns for competition initially, then as souveniors of that time. Then because my job required it, then because I was back to competing and for personal secuurity.

But ultimately I joined the majority, as, I'd own more if I could afford it. But at 18, they're only a fraction of the leverguns! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have a couple of safes full of mostly leverguns and shotguns.

But I own more pistols than all my long guns added togather.

And then multiplied by 2............ :shock: :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Aren't all Guns operated by Hand ? I voted with the majority,have about 10 of each (revolvers & semis) too many Long Guns to mention. And adding as opportunity arises. I Just Like Guns OK !! Perry in Bangor ----------+++==== CCCCCalifornia
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

*Engage canned response from paranoia subroutine*

I don't own any guns.

:|

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Yes, but not all the ones I want!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FWiedner wrote:*Engage canned response from paranoia subroutine*

I don't own any guns.

Voting is untraceable. I don't care if nobody posts. I was just thinking that it might be interesting since one forum member said he owns no handguns (and we all know what we mean by the term).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I own handguns I haven't even shot yet. I sometimes find handguns in the closet I'd forgotten I even owned. I owe money on handguns and have list of those I still need to acquire. I own handgun parts, grip frames, cylinders, and literature on handguns. I need help - or money. I'll take the later.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

All of us are gun owners. If we weren't we wouldn't be here. We've exercised our freedom of speech and freedom to associate with folks of our own choosing by being here. If there is any doubt that what we own is unknown to folks, think again. I dare say most of us are on at least one data base. Denying we are gun owners on a poll such as this is silly. Especially when many of us have posted pics of them.

However just for those who think they need to know, I sold all my guns and am joining the local chapter of the tree hugging greenies. :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I'd take every handgun on earth if they legally would let me.
I get goosebumps just holding them :oops:
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I own a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolver, a handful of Ruger revolvers, and a few semi autos.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hobie,

Your poll is essentially putting words in the voter's mouth. There's only one reason not to own one - because you think they're evil tools of Satan.

Not too many forum members own ukuleles but none would say they're tools of Satan.

Speaking personally, I don't own any because I don't have much use for one, and because where I am the laws are skewed against handguns. I occasionally shoot handguns belonging to other people but haven't bought one, I just prefer rifles.

If I lived in a CCW state I'd have a handgun and I'd carry it, but since I can only defend myself at home I can manage with what I have.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Handguns? Dude, I had all mine melted down to sell the scrap for a donation to ACORN 8)

Before that, I only maybe a dozen or so. I was especially sad to get rid of the 2 1911s, and the 629PP. Shoot, I loved my 4 JFrames, too, and a few others. :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:Hobie,

Your poll is essentially putting words in the voter's mouth. There's only one reason not to own one - because you think they're evil tools of Satan.

Not too many forum members own ukuleles but none would say they're tools of Satan.

Speaking personally, I don't own any because I don't have much use for one, and because where I am the laws are skewed against handguns. I occasionally shoot handguns belonging to other people but haven't bought one, I just prefer rifles.

If I lived in a CCW state I'd have a handgun and I'd carry it, but since I can only defend myself at home I can manage with what I have.
Good point, I'll fix it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Seems I'v heard that line before. Think it was in a movie :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: So, let's try this again... Do you own handgun(s)?

Post by Griff »

Tsk, tsk. I owned nearly as many guns (incl. handguns), when I lived in CA as now in TX. It ain't like they're outlawed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

No nasty ol' handguns here.

Dang canoes sure are tricky! :shock:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hobie wrote:
FWiedner wrote:*Engage canned response from paranoia subroutine*

I don't own any guns.

Voting is untraceable. I don't care if nobody posts. I was just thinking that it might be interesting since one forum member said he owns no handguns (and we all know what we mean by the term).

Jeez Hobie, I voted.

For interest sake I said "I have all the handguns I can afford".

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo wrote:

Speaking personally, I don't own any because I don't have much use for one, and because where I am the laws are skewed against handguns.
Got a buddy that said it was much easier getting a CCW in California than it was in New York.(Also in Ca. he said you can even own a handgun in the home without a Carry license unlike NY)

What he did was he purchased a used real Rolex watch and when asked why he needed the license he showed his Rolex.He told them he brought proof of its authentisity and asked if they wanted to verify it.He said the watch is on him night and day!
Did the trick he got it!

In todays world you absolutely need a CCW handgun!
Think of your whole family being given a much better chance of being protected.
Try it you will like it!
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I was looking for the response: "I own handguns and think that it would greatly benefit the country if Congress offered tax credits to those who purchase USA made handguns that increase the safety and security of its citizens."

Can we at least start the rumor?
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I respectfull decline to answer, on the grounds that my answer may tend to incinerate me if my wife stumbles across it. :roll:

(Izzat "pleading the 2nd" ? ? ;) )

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:I respectfull decline to answer, on the grounds that my answer may tend to incinerate me if my wife stumbles across it. :roll:

I had the wife run over to the safe and recount them... good thing, 'cause I forgot one! She asked... "...did ya include mine?"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:I'd take every handgun on earth if they legally would let me.
I get goosebumps just holding them :oops:
You know that is the way many folks feel, about WHATEVER hobby they are into, but what's sad is that if you say it about vintage woodworking tools, or flint arrowheads, or sculptures, or whatever, it is something people can relate to. . . but if it is a gun collector talking about guns, then the watched-too-much-television-as-a-child crowd gets all spooked and starts holding their fingers up in an anti-dracula 'cross' and spouting psycho-babble about Freud, as if it's a 'bad' thing to like firearms.

Do the nutcases who are so hoplophobic actually think we're fantasizing about mass-murder because we enjoy the mechanism, symbolism, and artistry of a well-made handgun? I hate to tell them, but most household objects non-gun-owners take for granted could easily be used to harm someone. Last time I checked, more people were killed with golf clubs and bowling balls than with legally-purchased machine guns.

[/veering off-topic alert ON...]

Anyway, they are kind of cool, aren't they...! 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Denying we are gun owners on a poll such as this is silly. Especially when many of us have posted pics of them.
Actually, any pictures I've posted are actually photos of rented movie props. I'm pretty scared of firearms, and just pretend to own them.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Got a buddy that said it was much easier getting a CCW in California than it was in New York.
Hope his name wasn't Eric Scott. . . http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =4&t=30145 . . . :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've got a few handguns, but I can't shoot em worth a darn. If you're a bad guy inside of 25 yards, you're in trouble. Past that and.....well....I'll make an awful racket, hurt your ears and you'll be sorry you messed with me.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Got a buddy that said it was much easier getting a CCW in California than it was in New York.
Hope his name wasn't Eric Scott. . . http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =4&t=30145 . . . :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nope---Thank God :shock:

When are the Anti--Gunners going to wake up and realize 99.9% of those that profess openly to enjoy and engage in the various Gun related legal activites that these are not the people to fear.
Besides not only having the admiration for a finely crafted gun(much like a fine piece of furniture, or a finely made precision tool)when I hold my gun there are many fine valued memories which at times come into play. Memories such as all the times spent together on very enjoyable outings with loved ones and friends.It is also a warm/added safe feeling of security that goes deep down that could be described not much different than when being a child and a parent taking your hand saying I am hear to help watch over/protect you.
It is knowing that you at least have a reasonable chance to stand some possibility of protecting your family when old evil shows its ugly face and threatening to harm/end your family or yourself on this earth.
99.9% of us hope never to have to use such a force, but if that time does ever come at least you could enter the next life knowing you gave it a go and did everything you could to protect your family.
Included as a part of family could also be the American nation itself if we were ever invaded by some country wishing to destroy us and our way of life as our country calls upon every abled body with a fight in them to fight for our country! Could some day/year/decade be a possibility?

As this RECESSION/DEPRESSION becomes worse and things really become much more violent/unstable the anti-gun crowd will maybe finally start to wake up when "old ugly" (meaning those very bad criminal people wishing to do them harm) is at their door knocking to come in.(then and only then might they understand why so many Americans feel that a instrument of such finallty when/if ever needed for their own protection against such very bad things, why they are so valued!

My wish is things turn for the better for the country and all Americans work together for the common good of the country and this includes respecting our 2nd Amendment rights!
We can wish cant we?
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I don't know El Chivo. Now that our brother Ganjiro is not on the forum I will have to say that Ukuleles just might be used for torture in the nether regions, along with accordians. Now if you would have said the fiddle, banjo, mandolin or guitar to illustrate your point I would immediately agree........ :wink: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:I don't know El Chivo. Now that our brother Ganjiro is not on the forum I will have to say that Ukuleles just might be used for torture in the nether regions, along with accordians.
None of them hold a candle to . . . Bagpipes :shock: :shock: :shock:

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

There must be symmetry. For every long gun there must be a handgun..... Seriously, it's about that way. I have about as many short guns as long guns.
Certified gun nut
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Don't have much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it! :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have a ukulele... :o
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I have handguns and like them but I would rather shoot a long gun... like a Sharps with black and a paper patch.. throw in a few 86s a couple of 94s no 92s too small and you have a recipe for a good day well spendt

^
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it was much easier getting a CCW in California than it was in New York
I should have said CCW area instead of state, I live in LA County and the only citizen with a CCW here is Robert Blake. True that in CA proper many sherriffs will issue.

Oh, and the 5 string banjo WAS considered a tool of Satan, many boys were thought to be on the road to hell if they played.

Last night I just watched "Fistful of Dollars" where the quote was something like "when the man with the pistol meets the man with the rifle, the man with the pistol is a dead man". Of course Clint proved him wrong. He had right on his side (and a screenwriter).

A handgun is low on my list right now because they're not that accurate, they're noisy, they're awkward to hold, I can't see the sights, and they're expensive. If you guys like 'em, go for it. Shred those 12" targets at 15 feet. Have fun.

What I think is far more serious is only one forum member besides myself has a ukulele. In a country where nearly everyone has the RIGHT to strum or pluck, so few do - you don't appreciate the rights you have until you lose them.

I'll bet you're not even NUA members.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
YUP... last time I tried to conceal my 1907 44-40 SRC in my jeans and get on my 175 Yamaha it looked like stilt man trying to navigate a beany baby row at a flea market filled with 10 year olds.
Keep revolvers stashed in different places that we figure should gain enough time to get to the real "Repel Boarder" stoppers.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Hobie,
Your poll fails to provide an option for those of us that do not own a hand gun but intend or desire to correct that condition.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:
C. Cash wrote:I don't know El Chivo. Now that our brother Ganjiro is not on the forum I will have to say that Ukuleles just might be used for torture in the nether regions, along with accordians.
None of them hold a candle to . . . Bagpipes :shock: :shock: :shock:
I love bagpipes! BUT, that's for another topic...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Alan Wood wrote:Hobie,
Your poll fails to provide an option for those of us that do not own a hand gun but intend or desire to correct that condition.
I like handguns and own as many as I can afford.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

madman4570 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:

Speaking personally, I don't own any because I don't have much use for one, and because where I am the laws are skewed against handguns.
Got a buddy that said it was much easier getting a CCW in California than it was in New York.(Also in Ca. he said you can even own a handgun in the home without a Carry license unlike NY)

What he did was he purchased a used real Rolex watch and when asked why he needed the license he showed his Rolex.He told them he brought proof of its authentisity and asked if they wanted to verify it.He said the watch is on him night and day!
Did the trick he got it!

Try it you will like it!
They won't allow their subjects the means to protect their own health and wellbeing, but will allow it for an expensive bauble. Makes perfect sense.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

El Chivo wrote: Shred those 12" targets at 15 feet. Have fun.
I assume you're being hyperbolic.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Otto wrote:
madman4570 wrote:
El Chivo wrote:

Did the trick he got it!

Try it you will like it!
They won't allow their subjects the means to protect their own health and wellbeing, but will allow it for an expensive bauble. Makes perfect sense.

Interesting isnt it! (I know its kludged)
But, he did beat them at their own game.
What he actually did was he bought this watch from of all places Craigs List(used) :o for $2900 (watch had all original paperwork/box/s/n etc.)Ended up being apprasied from a reputable jewler for $5100-$5400 ??
He got the written appraisal from them with the watches description,s/n,etc.
So at all times (twenty four seven) he has a minimum of $5100 on his person! That qualifies as a security need.
Only Rick could think of that one! He said he always wanted a real Rolex anyway, and it will never decrease in value from that point on?
So is it worth doing that---------------------to protect you and loved ones------Yep! ---Many times over!
PS------Rick has many handguns and wants more!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

game keeper wrote:I have a ukulele... :o
What calibure ???
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Pete44ru wrote:I respectfull decline to answer, on the grounds that my answer may tend to incinerate me if my wife stumbles across it. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This post has been great, but I am a bit disturbed to think of how many Ukelele owners I've now probably ticked off! :shock: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

C. Cash wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This post has been great, but I am a bit disturbed to think of how many Ukelele owners I've now probably ticked off! :shock: :mrgreen:
Well, I'll join ya. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but whereas I find the bagpipes soothing and melodic, the ukelele is irritatinly harsh... and to prove my point, need I remind you!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Griff wrote:Well, I'll join ya. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but whereas I find the bagpipes soothing and melodic, the ukelele is irritatinly harsh... and to prove my point, need I remind you!
That's more frightening than a gang-banger with a .45.. :shock: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote: ...folks feel, about WHATEVER hobby they are into, but what's sad is that if you say it about vintage woodworking tools, or flint arrowheads, or sculptures, or whatever, it is something people can relate to. . . but if it is a gun collector talking about guns, then the watched-too-much-television-as-a-child crowd gets all spooked and starts holding their fingers up in an anti-dracula 'cross' and spouting psycho-babble about Freud, as if it's a 'bad' thing to like firearms.
Yes, it's both sad and frustrating. What I do is carry some photos of my more attractive antique or replica guns on my iPhone and I show them those. Usually their eyes light up at the sight of the beautiful wood and metal work and their position softens enough to allow me to get in a comment or two about how much I enjoy spending time with my sons target shooting with our Cowboy guns (I don't tell them about our love of evil black guns...).

Often times it's completely useless however and these are the same sort of idiots who like to make small-parts jokes about fellas who enjoy hot rods or big 4x4 trucks. These milquetoast individuals are best just walked past and as far as I'm concerned they're wasting good oxygen, but if there's an educational effort that even might pay off I try to make the effort.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright