New Rossi 92 in 38/357; how to remove brazilian cosmolene?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

New Rossi 92 in 38/357; how to remove brazilian cosmolene?

Post by 2571 »

What is that tacky stuff on the metal parts & can I remove it with gasoline? Do I need some exotic solvent? What kind of finish is that on the stock -- something I'm gonna mess up?

Thank you
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New Rossi 92 in 38/357; how to remove brazilian cosmolene?

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe it needs a Brazilian Wax treatment...?

(...sorry, :oops: had to beat BlaineG to it... :roll: )

My only experience with that was using gasoline (outside) and several rolls of paper towels and a wooden 1/4" dowel (as a makeshift bore-rod) on a Russian SKS I got my son for his 12th birthday. I doubt the way we did it was approved by OSHA, the EPA, or anyone with a shred of common sense.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner) will melt cosmoline with no effort at all.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

WD40.

Works like a charm, and is way safer than gasoline, and smells better than kerosene.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

When I got my Braztech Rossi around Christmas time last year, I cleaned it easily, with WD40. Never noticed any big quantities of gunk on this gun. I do recommend watching the Nate Kiowa Jones video about smoothing these Rossi's up, though. I didn't before I took mine to an old gunsmith friend of mine--he'd worked on many 92's in his day and did a good job. Then I got Nate's video and watched it, seeing pretty much exactly what happened to my gun when it was smoothed. Pay particular attention to the part of Nate's video when he talks about that ejector spring, especially if you handload. The un-reworked Rossi spring causes brass to eject clear into orbit!
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I cleaned my new Rossi 92 a coupla weeks ago with Kroil. Worked lke a champ--put a couple of Kroil-soaked patches thru the bore, let it soak for 20-30 minutes then finished it off with 1 or 2 more wet patches then a dry one that came out clean. Sprayed a little Rem Oil on anoher patch & ran it thru the bore as a preservative.

I used the same treatment on 2 CZ 452's awhile back, with the same results. CZ's are notoriously hard to get the factory preservative out of, but I got it right out of mine. Kroil is amazing stuff for crud-cutting. Kroil is penetrating oil, so my guess is that you could get the same results with other p-oil too. For removing lead and copper fouling, tho, regular bore cleaner is probably better. I like Shooter's Choice.