Savage inline muzzleloader ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Savage inline muzzleloader ?

Post by Streetstar »

Anyone have one of these -- or a similar one from Remington? (the ones that look like bolt rifles) I have zero interest in traditional muzzle loading equipment and would prefer to use pyrodex pellets if at all possible to simplify my life, however, the savage does take smokeless powder as well supposedly.
I have some limited experience with a T/C inline but was leaning towards one of the bolt rifle look alikes, or perhaps an Encore

I just want a tool to extend my hunting season a bit, not to re-capture a by-gone era or anything like that. And it would likely be equipped with a dreaded carrying handle as well.

Any real world in-the-field drawbacks to these rifles? Or maybe a link to a B/P discussion forum that addresses these things?
----- Doug
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage inline muzzleloader ?

Post by iceman »

I had a rem 700ML it used #11 caps it shot pretty well. If you are using pellets you need a 209 ignition system to insure ignition. I sold it because being left handed I found it awkward and the bolt would open when I carried on my right shoulder on a sling. I bought a CVA wolf break action. I have only fired a few rounds using loose Pyrodox and open sights. I have just installed a set of Williams peeps have yet to sight in yet. My other with 7 notches is a Tradition Deer Hunter wich uses a slam fire type bolt and #11 caps, always goes bang and groups well with Hornady great plains lead bullets.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

My little brother had a Savage, which he thought was great. One of his sons inherited it, but hasn't shot it much, he is more of a bow hunter.
He shot smokeless in it and it shot very well.
Where I live, during blackpowder season, you have to use black powder or a substitute, but no pellets allowed. I use a Remington but use Musket caps with a Musket cap conversion. It shoots very well. I shot a nice bull elk with it a few years ago, using Black belt, now Powerbelt, bullets.
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Remington or the Savage
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Here is a link to Savage shooters forum. They have a muzzleloader section.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php
muddydog
Levergunner

Post by muddydog »

BP rifles are probably my main hobby. From Side Locks to In-lines I shoot them all year round.

I have 8 BP rifles, a Savage is not one of them. I'm sure it is an excellent rifle. no doubt about that. But I do remember quite a few experts, questioning the validity of the powder claims. Personally, I would be very leery of their "smokeless powder claims".

but i would shoot the heck out of it with 777.

let us know what loads it likes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gunblast Review was VERY favorable: - http://gunblast.com/SavageML10.htm

I have one, and it is VERY accurate (three shots in 1.5" at 100 yards without cleaning between shots, cloverleafs them fairly often if I actually pre-weigh the powder in loading tubes, and do my job a little better), and with the 5744, it loads without much force for a half-dozen shots, and I like the barely-have-to-clean concept that such powder enables, plus when I do clean it I don't have to use sudzy water.

There was some disgruntled employee spreading some nasty, and evidently found to be bogus/fabricated/photoshopped type stuff out there about them being prone to barrel rupture. After reading quite alot on that issue (see some of the highlights in the second thread listed below), I'm convinced they are as stated, about the strongest muzzleloader out there.

The Accu-Trigger is doubtless a great factor in making it one of the most accurate, as well.

As for power, see the Gunblast article above, comparing it as close to a .375 H&H with some loads. I haven't seen any Indiana Whitetail with tusks or fangs, though, so I stick with the published factory loads, which seem to be a bit more powerful than a .444 Marlin.

I had a Black Diamond, and it too was accurate, but fouled the underside of the scope, and I disliked the soapy water bit.

Then I got an Encore, but disliked the soapy water bit just as much, although the action sealed tight enough there was no scope fouling. Problem was, I got a .223 barrel that is what I usually keep on it, and I got tired of swapping them, so I got my son a receiver for Christmas, and gave him the muzzleloader barrel for it.

Now that I have the Savage ML-10 I see no need for any other muzzleloader, personally.

A couple threads on Leverguns on the Savage Muzzleloader:
As for the "smokeless powder in a muzzleloader" so-called 'issue', much of that is covered in the Leverguns links above, plus see KirkD's "Pressure Curve" post part-way down the page in
Besides, some skeptics forget that they still CAN shoot blackpowder in the Savage ML-10, if they want :roll: , but given the pressure curves of the appropriate smokeless powders vs. blackpowder, and the relative ease of shoving a saboted bullet down the .50 bore of the Savage, vs. a jacketed bullet down a 7mm Remington Magnum, I don't quite get the 'fear' factor against using smokeless in the Savage. Now the whole "authenticity" thing I do understand, but I'm mostly interested in a deer-getter that doesn't take me excess time or effort if I don't get the family's deer freezer full during 'regular' gun season; when I'm out goofing off at the range or target shooting, or if I ever get the time to do more leisurely or extended hunting, to be honest, I'll probably get a flintlock...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

The bolt action ML rifles came and went as far as new technology goes. The current hot sellers are break open designs such as the following CVA models: Wolf, Optima, and Accura.

I recently bought a 50 caliber CVA Optima complete with scope and mounts for $150. including shipping. I won an auction through GunBroker. It shoots amazing groups with 777 powder and TC Maxi-Hunter 275 grain bullets. I'm not fond of the black plastic stocks although quite comfortable. Maybe this winter, I'll make new stocks of grey and black laminate.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had a breakopen muzzleloader (Encore) and liked it, although I do like the bolt-action design overall a bit better. Either one does the job.

A potential advantage of the break-open would be that you could separate the part that needs cleaning from the lockwork fairly easily, although with the Savage ML-10 it's a moot point, unless you prefer to use black powder in it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "