45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

45 Colt

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I'm thinking about a 45 Colt rifle.....I've looked at the Handi and it's kinda neat. I've also found a 1894 Marlin but it is about 70% more $$. I would be shooting some pretty stout handloads and some CoreBons....Deer/Pig hunting........is the Handi up to the job or should I buy my 1894C's twin brother ???

jumbeaux
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I know nothing about Handi rifle. But I am familiar with the Marlin 1894s.

I'm also partial to repeaters so, from my prejudiced point of view, get the Marlin.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Handi Rifles are pretty tough little guns. Since they can be chambered in the 45-70, 500 S&W, 30-06 etc. I gotta figure they can handle stiff 45Colt loads.

I have a Marlin 1894S / 45Colt that I push pretty hard. Deadly accurate little rifle w/ 300 Gr. bullets and 22 Gr Win. 296.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You've talked about the rest, now get the best. Find a winchester 94 in 45 colt :lol:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Get the marlin, a model 92 clone or the winchester. I have a H&R Ultra varmint and my only complaint is the speed of a follow up shot. Ultimately you know you'll be happier with a lever anyway. :wink:
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

since my last marlin was stuff i asked my dealer to get an H&R CB45LC carbine....
they seem to care about what they make...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

redeux wrote:since my last marlin was stuff i asked my dealer to get an H&R CB45LC carbine....
they seem to care about what they make...
Marlin owns H&R too, kind of strange ain't it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I also find it strange that I SEE more problems on the Handis in the shop than on the leverguns but everyone talks about the levergun problems...

That said the Handirifle will do just fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Either one will do the job. But it is kinda hard to rapid fire a single shot :wink: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have a Win 94 , Uberti 1866, Uberti 1873 and a Marlin CB in 45 LC. They all shoot good but I like my 24" Marlin Cowboy the best out of them.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

If I were to trade off my .44 magnum for a .45,

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I would buy a Marlin 94 CBC (cowboy competition). That is the slickest factory rifle I have ever handled, except a '66 Winchester repro which isn't strong enough for hot loads. Heck, get two. A .45 for medium game and a .38 special for small game.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have an Uberti 1873 and a Rossi 1892 in .45 Colt. The Rossi is, IMO, the strongest repeater on the market in this chambering. And... that backup shot, or TEN... is much quicker with the repeater!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I happen to like both Levers and the H&Rs .
My H&Rs are in 22 hornet,223,30/30,30/06,38/55,and 45/70 I have NO PROBLEMS what-so-ever with them even with Heavy loads in the 45/70 .
IF I were to buy a lever in 45 Colt it would be the Rossi from what I have seen and fired they are the strongest and best
I happen to like the H&Rs for nice carrying guns It also give me an excues to carry the colt on my side :wink:
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

With a little practice, the single shots can be fired pretty fast. No match for a levergun, but fast none the less.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

I've rarely needed more than one shot at a time if I did my part. Those times that I did and if I was shooting a single shot, MOST of the time it was fast enough, just can't think of very many times in my life that I have lost ANY game because of not having more ammo in a magazine(shotgun excluded, and those times a belt fed shotgun wouldn't have made a difference because I wasn't on target)
Actually if the Question was asked "How many times in your life have you ever NEEDED a repeater when your first shot went where it was supposed to ? " Jeremy excluded and for that matter military situations excluded . That need is obvious , realizing that before any repeaters all military was singleshot only as well.

growing up all I had was singleshots and when I got my first repeater dad still had the ammo so you guessed it I still had a single shot
In the field all I shoot is a 28 or 410 - 3 inch in shotgun and quite often I'll load one shell because I have found that my percentages are WAY better if I do, and I end up w/ bag limit either way, generally. Yup it's nice to knock down a double but at the end of the day I feel better about how well I shot
Got off track a touch, got quite a few single shots and some of them are H&R and if you look a the SAAMI approved presures for the calibers that they are chambered in you'll see that they will take in excess of 62,000 psi and I personally have never had to fix any thing on mine except a trigger job which I do on every firearm that I own
Another point I might make, that doesn't really matter to most of us is dollar value , I dare say it is the best dollar value of any long gun I have in my safes. Most of us change stocks , mechanical smoothness P O I or P O A ( sights) , or all of the above on some or most of our guns
Yup I like them but I like my doubles and repeaters also
Elk hunting it's just a real handy place to carry ammo but would be very comfortable w/ a singleshot just a our forefathers HAD to :wink: