another ML question (TC Encore) - pics up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

another ML question (TC Encore) - pics up

Post by Streetstar »

Its ML season in Oklahoma

I am behind the power curve --- a month or so ago i posted a thread asking about the opinions of the inline bolt action style ML's

but now -- - no decision has been made - -- curious about the thoughts abouth the TC Encore ML system now --- was ready to bite today, but i didnt get to the fun store till closin time and i was told that the Encore was one of the few ML's i had to 4473 and that i would have to wait till Monday to do so

2 days gives me abit of research time so i figured i'd come home and ask you fellas first ---- the Encore is a bit more money than other alternatives, but the switch-barrel philopsophy is pretty cool
Last edited by Streetstar on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: another ML question (TC Encore)

Post by txpete »

I can't answer your question on the ML encore but I do have a encore with 2 barrels.7.5X55 swiss custom shop and a 16 1/4 444.both shoot excellent and the 7.5x55 swiss accuracy I would put in a match grade class no problem.
we don't have a BP season here in cen tx so I never messed with getting a bp barrel.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,235.0.html

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

http://edstc.com/
DAV life member.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I've been ML hunting since 1980 and I really like it.I usually end up hunting a lot with the ML during regular gun season.I have a T/C .54 New Englander which is a sidelock.I don't use or like the in line rifles.I don't use a scope.I shoot nothing but round ball with good success for accuracy and killing power.That is not to say that this is the best system.It is just what works and is satisfying for me.I am of the opinion that if you are going to use a "primitive" weapon then it should be just that.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My opinion is worth nothing but my train of thought is why? What can these inlines do that a trad design can not excluding added range.

I would love to know what the average distance a shot is taking game with an in-line as opposed to a trad design!

I am not against in-lines and will be happy with your choice and look forward to the photo's but I prefere to hunt with a front stuffer how they use to do way back when,,,,

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Encore ML's put less 'soot' on the scope than any others I've used except the Savage ML-10, and with a QD scope mount and that break-open action, you can clean them so easily; there's no need typically to clean the action/buttstock part.

You can get a barrel in .223 or .416 Rigby if you want, too...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my fav 444 :lol: 16.25 inch barrel and the action is "alot" stronger than a 1895 :wink:

DAV life member.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nath wrote:My opinion is worth nothing but my train of thought is why? What can these inlines do that a trad design can not excluding added range.

I would love to know what the average distance a shot is taking game with an in-line as opposed to a trad design!

I am not against in-lines and will be happy with your choice and look forward to the photo's but I prefere to hunt with a front stuffer how they use to do way back when,,,,

N :D
I would take a shot to 100 yards with my sidelock .54. These in-line guys want .30-06 performance from their guns OR they get the cheapest (which will be an in-line) gun they can find. The Encore gives one a legal muzzleloader (the purpose of the primitive hunt as they were originally called having been lost in the mists of time) AND a rifle (or many rifles) and a shotgun(s). That's the attraction. Retail though is $875 and UP! That's a LOT more than the bubblepack special from Traditions or CVA.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have three Encore frames, as well as some additional Contender frames. I really like the Encore system. I even have a Bull Berry custom MZ barrel for my Contender.

Now lets talk about the Encore MZ barrels. I have had two of them. And Both were very finicky about loads that it liked. I shot saboted bullets in both. There was an additional problem with trying to get a second load down a dirty bore, it could not be done. The barrel had to be cleaned between each shot. I also have a few friends who have Encore's. Some have had the same problem, and some really like their MZ.

You can buy one for a good price if you just buy the standard Encore.

I just bought a third barrel off a guy from a different forum, but I bought it to sell.

I really like the Encore, but I do not like the Encore MZ.

IMO the best "modern MZ's" are the Knight rifles. I find they shoot the best, and are the least finicky. I really like their Green Mountain barrels. My favorite is a Knight Long Range Hunter with a Leupold VXIII B&C scope on top. This rifle is deadly accurate to 225 yards. With either a saboted bullet or a conical that I cast.

I also like the traditional rifles as well. but for longer distance shooting I prefer the Knight rifle. Tom.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: another ML question (TC Encore) -- pics up

Post by Streetstar »

Bit the bullet ---- I realize this is about as traditional as an AR-15, but its still a single shot, and it will still take at least 30 seconds between shots --- so in my eye, that qualifies as a pretty primitive firearm.

It came with a pretty neat little williams peep in back, but as the Leupold box in the background would suggest, its getting a carrying handle mounted up (with apologies to Joe Miller :lol: ) . Its also got a ported barrel - just like the ones from Harpers Ferry :lol:

I don't really care for the synthetic stock, but it seems to be de-rigeur today on utility grade hunting rifles of all flavors. But thanks to the modular nature of the encore system, new wood is just a click of the mouse away , and will probably be necessary if/when i add a centerfire barrel to the mix anyway -- was thinking a .45-70 ).

I've got Shockwave sabots in 250 grain, plus Hornady XTP's in 240 and 300 grain to try out, so i will have a pretty full range session trying to get the best one with pellets.

Wish me luck ! I realize its not a traditional ML, but my archery equipment is not traditional either and hunting with both is still hard

----- Doug
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Re: another ML question (TC Encore) - pics up

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Try 120grs of Blackhorn 209 with those 250gr shockwaves. Mine likes that a lot (except I use the Hornaday 250s which are the same bullet).

Edited to add that the 120gr charge is by volume
Last edited by 41 Redhawk on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you, I'm sure it will have you much enjoyment and anguish like any front stuffer can :D

Range photo's and hunting snaps to follow,,,,,, :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I kinda like that peep set up and the camo stock.... :wink: :wink: