Hertiage Arms Rough Rider SA .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Hertiage Arms Rough Rider SA .22

Post by Blaine »

Yea? Nay? I have a chance to pick one up cheap for a hundred.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Re: Hertiage Arms Rough Rider SA .22

Post by Hobie »

Save your hundred towards a Single-Six OR buy a HiPoint 9mm.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Save your hundred towards a Single-Six OR buy a HiPoint 9mm.
I have a Single Six, and a High Point that I gave fifty for. 8) Are they really that bad?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

My wife has one (22lr/22mag w/adj sights) and its pretty descent for the price. Shoots a bit better than my EAA Bounty Hunter. Has a weird little safety thing that she likes, me not so much, but it is pretty ignorable if you don't want to use it.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For a hundred, get it, hard to go wrong. I wouldn't pay the price some folks want for new RR's ($150-$225) but heck $100 is like 2 dinners (or less) with the wife or a tank and a half of gas in my truck. Believe it or not there is somethings I don't like to subject my nicer guns to on a regular basis like full time truck guns, stashing in an outbuilding or tossing in a tackle box.

LK

Let me add: I have only shot one of the older, short barreled RR's and can't say I was impressed with the accuracy. Then again, that was years ago and my handgun shooting wouldn't of impressed a blind man.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

L_Kilkenny wrote:For a hundred, get it, hard to go wrong. I wouldn't pay the price some folks want for new RR's ($150-$225) but heck $100 is like 2 dinners (or less) with the wife or a tank and a half of gas in my truck. Believe it or not there is somethings I don't like to subject my nicer guns to on a regular basis like full time truck guns, stashing in an outbuilding or tossing in a tackle box.

LK

Let me add: I have only shot one of the older, short barreled RR's and can't say I was impressed with the accuracy. Then again, that was years ago and my handgun shooting wouldn't of impressed a blind man.
Another cheapo with no paper on it.....at the very least, trading material.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I paid $100 for mine and it shoots great . It ain't a Ruger . But I wouldn't throw a Ruger in a tackle box to shoot a Musky in the head . The heritage I would.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I'm with Hobie, buying cheap firearms is waste of time to me. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:
Hobie wrote:Save your hundred towards a Single-Six OR buy a HiPoint 9mm.
I have a Single Six, and a High Point that I gave fifty for. 8) Are they really that bad?
They suck big time. We have one kid that has one and actually tries to shoot it. Every time he shoots more than 50 rounds through it he has to bring it back in for repair. He FINALLY got the idea that he had spent what a Ruger Single-Six (albeit used) would have cost him when he added up repairs to the original cost. Something WILL break and that something will keep it from being usable. At least the High Points are usually accurate (still a piece of stuff). BTW, since I've been working there we've had 3 traces, 4 altogether at this shop. EVERY one of them was on a High Point.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

BlaineG wrote:Another cheapo with no paper on it.....at the very least, trading material.
why didn't you say that to start with.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Idahoser wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Another cheapo with no paper on it.....at the very least, trading material.
why didn't you say that to start with.
I knew nothing of this gun when I orginally posted.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rodeo kid wrote:I'm with Hobie, buying cheap firearms is waste of time to me. God Bless.
There are a couple good reasons to buy a 'cheap' one sometimes...

BenT wrote:I paid $100 for mine and it shoots great . It ain't a Ruger . But I wouldn't throw a Ruger in a tackle box to shoot a Musky in the head . The heritage I would.
Sometimes if it's raining, your going to go slide down the side of a hillside to fix a fence, or you just want 'something' to have in the tackle-box, you don't grab your best gun.

As far as the Heritage Rough Rider itself, my son has one and we both like it, for the price.

The little flip-down lever safety-thingie is sort of 'different', but as unobtrusive as most any of the 'lawyer' features can be (except I do like the Taurus 'screw' one, as it doesn't seem to be easily set accidentally, or could be made to not be, with a bit of loc-tite.). His had some failures to fire (with just the .22 WMR cylinder) only when new, but I think that ceased after a good cleaning - probably goo in the firing-pin area. It has dispatched several trapped feral critters, and been a fun 'plinker' to have.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could outshoot me & my Single-Six using his Heritage 8) , or if I could outshoot him using the Heritage, and he my Single-Six. :mrgreen:

But. . . I still wouldn't trade guns with him. . . :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I had one for a while... shot ok (as good as some of the single sixes with the wrong bore size).

If I still had a bunch of kids to teach... another one would be in my safe. Rather shoot up a $125 beater.. than wear out my good New Frontier.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Mine shoots just fine. It's not as accurate as my target
pistol, but it's not hideously inaccurate either. Hundreds
of rounds have gone through mine with nary a bobble.

$100 with no paper?
Be silly not to.

-Stretch
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

They also have a lifetime warranty. I don't think you can go wrong. My boy saw the 3 1/2" birdhead version about 5 years ago and wanted one. I got it for him - even got him a set of pearl grips for it - and he's been shooting it ever since. Probably not more than a thousand rounds through it, but it's never not worked. The only problem has been one that he caused by dry-firing it without spent cases in the chambers. It peened the chamber mouths and caused hard extraction. A couple twists with a countersinking bit and the burrs were gone. No more problems. All things being equal, I would prefer to have a 3 1/2" birdhead Single Six - but they don't make one, and that's the one my boy wanted. It's just a gun, after all. Not a big decision in the general scheme of things.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You just answered your own question. Worst case, its trading fodder. Otherwise it is a beater you aren't afraid to abuse. Either way, "paperless" guns are always gems... :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Those Rough Riders aren't much more than that new. I'd save the $100 for a Single Six somebody needs to sell for grocery money. Even if the finish on such a gun was non-existent you'd still be ahead.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Those Rough Riders aren't much more than that new. I'd save the $100 for a Single Six somebody needs to sell for grocery money. Even if the finish on such a gun was non-existent you'd still be ahead.
We'll see. There were some very good recomendations in this thread, as well. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My feeling is that odds are it isn't a good thing. I'm not trying to brow beat you into a certain choice! :lol: I thought this was a good lead into another subject...
Sincerely,

Hobie

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'd avoid the Rough Rider. In some forums you'll get flamed for even hinting that the Rough Rider isn't 100% as good as the Ruger, but in the real world there's no comparison. They're cheap made guns unlike the Single Six.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

That's the only reason I'd consider it: IF I knew I could get my C-Note back out of it in trade value.

I've handled (but never shot) a few when the urge for a plinker .22 hits me but I've never been impressed with the fit/finish on any of them. And I'm not that hard to please when it comes to fit/finish... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JB wrote:I'd avoid the Rough Rider. In some forums you'll get flamed for even hinting that the Rough Rider isn't 100% as good as the Ruger, but in the real world there's no comparison. They're cheap made guns unlike the Single Six.
I have a Single Six....maybe the best little revolver in the world :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I recently asked a similar question and decided for me I would avoid it... but the idea didn't sink in well until this thread and the one it inspired where Hobie talks about the difference between getting a cheap gun or a good gun cheaply.

I'm gonna change my answere here and say skip it. For double the price a used S&W is possible. And the older the better.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, I agree with everyone here..... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV