Question for marlin 336 - 356 winchester conversion owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
picketpin
Levergunner

Question for marlin 336 - 356 winchester conversion owners

Post by picketpin »

I have a few questions for those of you that may own a 336 converted to .356 winchester. First there are several ways to go about this by either re-chambering a 35 Remington, or by re-boring a lesser caliber like a 30-30. What type is yours, who did the work, what is the accuracy, and have you had any problems? I have a 336A with ballard rifling that has lost any collector value it may have had that I am considering converting. Appreciate your experiences.

James
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Question for marlin 336 - 356 winchester conversion owners

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome, no help to you on this issue.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

picketpin
Levergunner

Post by picketpin »

Thanks for the welcome, I have been reading this forum for many years and a member for a few, didn't realize I had never posted here.

James
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 336 that was a .35 Rem converted to a .358. I have not fired it, although the guy that sold it to me said he has fired it prolly a hundred times, and the fella that had it made fired it as well. It needs cleaned up real good, and has no sights on it at all. I don't know whether or not it's safe/worth enough to put money into it. I suppose I could load it light for .358 and still have a real good deer gun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

Conversion to 356 would be neat...I have some info of a guy that does the work but its at home...I'll try to find it and post it...as to the gun you have...there are new/old stock barrels around for the 336A guns...I bought one in .32 win special, and changed a 30-30 carbine into the 336A version...new mag tube and other parts...but as i remember Numrich had barrels in 30-30, 32, and 35 Rem for the 336A guns...

I'll try to find the info for you
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

IMO, the .356 is too much cartridge for the Marlin's single locking lug, thin sides and barrel threads. The standard SAAMI specs for the .356 Winchester indicate 50,000 PSI. You would have to load the cartridge WAAAAAY down to be safe in a 336. Stick to the cartridges the gun was designed for.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
picketpin
Levergunner

Post by picketpin »

Thanks for the responses and opinions so far. I know there are or have been in the past a few members here that have the conversions and are happy with them. I'm happy to hear the other side also.

James
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Mike D. wrote:IMO, the .356 is too much cartridge for the Marlin's single locking lug, thin sides and barrel threads. The standard SAAMI specs for the .356 Winchester indicate 50,000 PSI. You would have to load the cartridge WAAAAAY down to be safe in a 336. Stick to the cartridges the gun was designed for.
I totally agree with Mike D. I am no way an expert, and would love one of our Fine Gun Smiths to chime in here, but I would be nervous doing this. I know many have done it, but I would be afraid to.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Jesse does the conversion by reboring. www.35caliber.com You need to call and talk to him. I beleive he sets the chamber shoulder forward farther . This absorbs the extra pressure more. Or he gives the barrel more freebore. Not sure. I know people on this site have had 30-30 bored out to 38-55 with good results.

Noonan also does it by converting 35 rem. www.leveractions.com

From what I have read the 356 Marlin had nothing special done to the receiver, just tighter tolerances on the bolt lock up. Compared to the 338MX, 308MX, and 450 Marlin. Where the barrel thread design was changed from the deeper square cut threads to the shallower V threads , but more per inch.

I will probably end up with one of these because I need a 35 Rem for project gun where I will have the barrel left over.
Good Luck!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Marlin made .356s and as long as it is marked as such it would be, likely, ok. The problem arises when the .358 reamer is used and the gun is marked as a .358 (ditto for the .308 Win). Some fool will eventually try .358 or .308 Winchester ammo in the gun and that isn't good. Even if there isn't a immediate catastrophic failure, the life of the gun will undoubtedly be shorter.

There are always those who wish to make something more than it is. Just as some people aren't suited to be brain surgeons, some guns aren't suited for the ballistic needs of the shooter. IOW, if you need (want) more gun, get more gun.

Jesse Ocumpaugh is likely chambering with a longer leade(throat), it wouldn't be wise to set the shoulder further forward.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

http://www.35caliber.com/index.html This is the sight I was thinking of...noted above as well.

Seems to me like the Marlin "Extended Range" guns had a beefier action/receiver...Its fun to make something totally yours by changing into something else...cause you can...but keep in mind no matter how good the gunsmith, some limits can't be overcome.

That said I am still dreaming of the .375 JDJ built on a Marlin .444S gun...Yes I know that the .375 Win is very close to the .375 JDJ...but the JDJ would just be a fun gun to own...a one of a kind...and still in the specs of what that action was designed for.
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
picketpin
Levergunner

Post by picketpin »

Thanks all for your opinions. I have talked to Jesse Ocompaugh about the conversion and he said he had not shot a 356 conversion enough to get a feel for accuracy, he also said he would do the conversion on an 50's version because he has found no difference in the steel in the receivers new or old. I also tried calling Regan Nonneman, that call went to voice mail And I have not had a chance to call him back. I have had a few responses between here, Marlin Owners and Beartooth/shootersforum that were positive, I have gotten the two sides, don't do it and it is really a great conversion. Honestly I am surprised at how few responses I have received from people who actually own conversions.
james
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I bought a 35 Rem in a 336 to do this conversion, but after playing with it I'm not sure I'll go ahead with the conversion. If you crank up your 35 Rem loads to 40k pressures (factory loads are typically loaded to low 30k) its not really going be all that far away from any sensible load you would use in a Marlin levegun chambered in 356/358. One thing I will do though is have the throat reamed out a fraction, as the rifle I have has absolutely no throat and I cant seat the cast bullets I use out to their cannelure.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

[quote=That said I am still dreaming of the .375 JDJ built on a Marlin .444S gun...Yes I know that the .375 Win is very close to the .375 JDJ...but the JDJ would just be a fun gun to own...a one of a kind...and still in the specs of what that action was designed for.[/quote]

Just be aware that with the 375 JDJ you will have problems with cannelure locations on most pills and keeping to an OAL that will cycle through a stock action. Probably better to consider a 356/358 necked up to 375 and BTW, dies are available from Redding and CH4D.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey JFE-That's exactly what the 375JDJ is, from my understanding, approximately a necked up 356 Win. or necked down 444 Marlin.

I would prefer that a 50K+ CUP cartridge have the thicker barrel/threads and stronger Chrome Moly steel barrel of the Big Bore Winchester, myself. I've had mine for about 18 years and it is still my favorite rifle/cartridge. Good luck with whatever you decide.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

While the 444 and 356 cartidges are loaded to the same OAL, a 444 case is approx 0.20" longer than a 356. Bear in mind that the 375 JDJ was designed for a single shot pistol where there is much more flexibility with COAL.
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

There are for sure some issues with bullets and COL with the .375JDJ. Its just a fantasy I keep in the back of my mind. Maybe someday I will play around with it.....
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JFE wrote:While the 444 and 356 cartidges are loaded to the same OAL, a 444 case is approx 0.20" longer than a 356. Bear in mind that the 375 JDJ was designed for a single shot pistol where there is much more flexibility with COAL.
ACTUALLY, the .375 Express by Ken Waters preceeded the .375 JDJ which differs just enough to be copyrighted. Ken used it in a BSA Lee Speed (IIRC). Still, your cautions on OAL apply, I only wanted to clear up some misconceptions on the cartridge history.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

JFE wrote:While the 444 and 356 cartidges are loaded to the same OAL, a 444 case is approx 0.20" longer than a 356. Bear in mind that the 375 JDJ was designed for a single shot pistol where there is much more flexibility with COAL.

Yes Sir..... Redding makes form and trim dies to turn the 444's into 356's and get them to the correct length. Always good to know if brass dries up for the 356 Win.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8