OT -gun safes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

OT -gun safes

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello fellow levergunners, I am thinking of getting a gun safe finally. I have several gun cabinets and I lock them in a spare bedroom BUT I think I am ready to spend some of my future tax return on a gun safe. First question how many guns can you typically get into a 30 gun safe? I know the simple answer would be UHHH 30 but I can never get the stated number in a cabinet so I wouldn't think I could do it in a safe. Two, any suggestions on a decent compromise between quality and price? I think I am looking for a 30 gun unit, that will get most of the rifles and shotguns in it, if I can get 30 in it that is. How important is fire protecting really, my thought is if my place catches on fire the whole neighborhood is in deep doodoo, so is a superior fire rating really worth the money? I don't know the answer to these questions so I am looking to you guys to edumacate me. Brands you like? Places to deal with? Any possibility of trade ins? Any place to buy used? What ever you information you have would be helpful,Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Hobie

Re: OT -gun safes

Post by Hobie »

For 30 guns, I would get a 45-gun unit AND I would get a unit with a good SG dial lock not a key-pad.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Plus one on the dial. Im not a fan of the key pads or anything that would rely on batteries.

I like Liberty Safes but there are so many good safe companies out there which are similar.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

You can not go wrong with the safes that are offered by Costco or Lowes. They may have them on the floor but you can get them delivered from their catalog to your doorstep. They have a 30 or 45 minute fire rating and they are a value at around $600.00. What you should line up before ordering is a company that will move them from your door to where you want them in your house. It takes some skill and special dollies to move them around, especially if stairs are involved. You also may consider buying two safes instead of one large one. You can place guns you seldom handle in one and the ones you use frequently in the other. Nothing is more of a pain then having to empty the safe to get to the one you want :shock: Almost forgot, if I was going to spend a little more money I would get this beaut hands down! http://gunblast.com/Greg_Pendleton.htm
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

A lot of it depends on what type of guns you have. If they are mostly bolt action with scopes, or EBR's or some such, you will be able to get 30 of them in TWO 30 gun safes. If you have mostly shotguns, leverguns and hand guns, then you might be all right with a 30 gun safe.

I have two Liberty safes, one with a manual lock and one with an electronic lock. I prefer the manual but that's just me.

Dont waste your money on fancy finishes, spend that money on more capacity and/or better fire rating.

Be SURE to bolt the safe (s) down to the wall and/or the floor. Remember, if you can move them in, someone else can move them out.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Rube Burrows wrote:Plus one on the dial. Im not a fan of the key pads or anything that would rely on batteries.

I like Liberty Safes but there are so many good safe companies out there which are similar.

I also went with Liberty and the dial.
It is not the critic who counts
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've always managed to get 2-3 times the number of guns in a safe as marked. Not easy to get them out, and it takes a little ingenuity, but it can be done. Of course, it depends on the combination of guns.

I currently have a Champion safe, and love it. Got the largest one I could get. Very solid construction, with a simple finish. I didn't want something fancy - it is not a piece of furniture to me.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I have owned, and do own, a few safes, but this is the only type that I will ever buy again:

http://www.gunblast.com/Pendleton.htm
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Scopes seem to take up a lot of room and reduce the number you can get in the safe. Mine is a 12 gun safe and it seems too full now with 7 guns in it. Because they are a variety of lengths and shapes you can't figure to efficiently use all the space. Plus if they are too close together you bang them around taking them in and out.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Mine allows the door to open more than 90 degrees to the safe which allows easier access into/out of the safe. Plus 1 on the size get the bigger one if youcan. Also I cover all my shotguns/rifles using rifle-socks as they can get nicked just placeing other rifles in and out. With a small tag at the top of them labeled as to what it is.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Get a 'gun sock' for each and every gun you own, and number the 'toe' with a permanent marker, and put a 'chart' on the inside of the safe door. You'll get less nicks and dents. They make 'gun socks' for scoped and 'assault' rifles that are larger and work better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Get a 'gun sock' for each and every gun you own, and number the 'toe' with a permanent marker, and put a 'chart' on the inside of the safe door. You'll get less nicks and dents. They make 'gun socks' for scoped and 'assault' rifles that are larger and work better.
+1

I actually make up a little card, laminate it, punch a hole in the card, and tie it to the top of the gun sock. The card has the make, model and caliber on it, along with the collection number I assign each of my firearms.

I've had one too many guns marred in the safe. This is absolutely the way to go, whether you have 2 guns, 20, or 200! (I wish)