Marlins are great !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Marlins are great !

Post by getitdone1 »

I thought I'd say some good things about Marlin lever-action guns. No doubt the Marlin lovers get a little tired of hearing me and others here bragging-up the Winchesters and Winchester clones.

I've had 3 different versions of the Model 39 22LR and no better 22 was ever made. I am presently in the market for the model 39 carbine (had it before) because it has thinner wood and less weight than the Mountie. The Mountie is the one I shot far more than any other gun.

I had a Marlin 336 chambered for 44 magnum. Straight grip and excellent gun. Was this the Texan model? I forget. I also had the little 1894 carbine chambered for the 357 mag.

I recently sold at auction a Marlin 336 chambered for the 30 WCF. Great gun and bought it new at a really cheap price. Outstanding gun for the money!

Marlin advertises that the metal over the top of the receiver makes their gun more "weather proof" than the "open top" Winchesters. I expect if the weather is that bad you oughta be inside. What this over the top of receiver metal does do is provide a place for scope mounts. That is an outstanding virtue. Of course the Winchester fans like the easy accessability to the inards of their guns due to the open top.

Another thing about the Marlins is they are made in America. Personally, I don't concern myself much about that but given a choice I'll buy American every time.

Another virtue of the Marlin--at least the model 39--is they are very accurate. Outstanding, easy takedown too! May be the 336 is more accurate than the model 94 Winchester. I don't know but expect some of you do.

Then there's the older, expensive Marlin lever guns. Now these are the ones I really like to look at. Some to me are just as pretty as any of the Winchesters.

In terms of common sense I'd still have the 336/30-30 and a model 39 and a shotgun and handgun and have all the guns I really need. However, I find a lot more guns a lot more fun!

Marlin lever guns are outstanding.

Don McCullough
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What the differences boil down to, for me, is that the Marlin's are far more easily taken apart in seconds - even in the "field" - should circumstances require (like a dollop of mud in the end of the barrel from a fall, etc).

I'm enough of a klutz to appreciate it, too. :roll:

I personally find the Browning/Winchester/Miroku Model 86's & 92's among the most handsome to own - but they're not easy to work on, internally.

My 1946 Marlin 39a stunned me with it's high level of accuracy with issue open sights - giving my 1937 Winchester Model 52 Sporter a run for it's money, in a side-by-side test. The M52 is slightly more accurate - but then again, it was issued wth a peep, not open sights.

While the 9422 and the BL-22 were "prettier", I could never wring the accuracy out of several examples of either, that I can from this 39a.
That's satisfying.

The older, and the decorated, Winchesters have aways been worth more than comparable Marlin's - always have been, and probably always will be.

Some folks like pistachio, others like strawbery - but it's all ice cream. 8)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Theres a few reasons I came to prefer Marlins over Winchesters & they've all already been covered here. They're easier to work on, no need for easy access from the top when everything needed comes out with a single screw.
Scopes I dont much care about but its a nice feature haveing a solid top.
The older ones are much more affordable & due to the simplicity of the action rebuilding one from parts is relatively easy.

Nothing wrong with Winchesters, I'v had them before & likely will again. I do still have my Rossi 92 & its here for good. Its all good & I'm glad Winchesters are more popular, long as that remains the same the guns I want will remain affordable. :P
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I guess it's as much what you started with as anything , I hapened to start with a marlin and used it over a few decades. I like the looks of the winchester , but , that bolt looks like it's gonna poke my eye when I cycle the action at my shoulder. I'm sure that if I started with a winchester I would not even notice the distraction.
Just my $.02
Phil
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I tried to trade a 94 30-30 made in 2006 with a tang safety, for a Marlin 336 30-30 with a price of $319 yesterday and the guy was only going to give me $200 for the Winchester that looks brand new. I didn't go for it, but the Marlin does have a better trigger, a smoother action, and nicer wood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

shawn,

Good you didn't take the offer. You can sell it face to face for at least $400 or maybe more.

Most of the time the dealers offer is around half of what he will sell it for.
In this case it's a good bet that dealer would have marked your rifle at $400 or better.

So, you sell your rifle for $400 and then go buy the Marlin and you'll have some cash left for some ammo.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Finally a voice of reason! :wink: :wink: Just kidding guys!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think the 336 is the best action. However, there is one fault - it is always exposed. When carrying it through brush I get little twigs in there around the bolt and sometimes it affects the cycling. But it's so solid and smooth I'll still take it.

I love my Winchesters, but the 336 is a great working gun. Solid, dependable, easy to carry, that's the one they'll have to pry out of my hands.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."