extra screws? Browning 65

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

extra screws? Browning 65

Post by big bear »

Looking at a used Browning 65 (218 Bee) . It has what looks to my eye to have two screws put into top of barrel about 2" ahead of rear barrel sight. Is this original? What would they be for? Bluing around screws not right. Should I pass on it? Thanks.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: extra screws? Browning 65

Post by John in MS »

Those screws are not factory original. However, 218 Bee Browning 65's don't grow on trees, so if you want it as a shooter and the screws don't ruin it for you, I would not automatically
write it off. If interested, I'd offer the seller a price that reflects the downgrade in condition.
If he agrees and the rifle otherwise passes bore/mechanical/etc inspection, as a last safety check, I'd remove the filler screws and measure the depth of the holes. You can get by with a surprisingly small amount of steel under the holes, but I hate bad surprises.... it's probably fine, but only takes a minute to check.

Hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thanks for the speedy reply, I will discuss with the seller. Why the heck would you put two holes out there? Some kind of sight? The rear sight is not original Browning. Rifle itself looks 99% condition , hardly fired at all. Very strange? Sure was excited at first about finding one though.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there big bear -- Very likely they are plug screws where a scope mount once was located. Best regards. Wind
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

So what is a fair price for a Browning 65 with these two extra holes, non original rear sight , non original front sight (now has a similarly shaped ramp sight but with a white bead) front barrel band and rear sling swivel? If you take away all the above stuff, rifle itself is in 95-98% condition , metal otherwise perfect and a few minor dents in stock.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Big Bear

The Browning M65 is real interesting rifle and the 218 Bee has some kind of mystic. It's more than a 22 Magnum and I think a cartridge for the handloader. Not many Brownings M 65 out there I read somewhere that they made only about 3'000.
A new in the box Browning goes for about $ 895.00. http://www.gunsinternational.com/BROWNI ... =100151817. It's your decision but I would not pay more than $ 600.00 for the gun that you had described.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

John in MS wrote:Those screws are not factory original. However, 218 Bee Browning 65's don't grow on trees, so if you want it as a shooter and the screws don't ruin it for you, I would not automatically
write it off. If interested, I'd offer the seller a price that reflects the downgrade in condition.
If he agrees and the rifle otherwise passes bore/mechanical/etc inspection, as a last safety check, I'd remove the filler screws and measure the depth of the holes. You can get by with a surprisingly small amount of steel under the holes, but I hate bad surprises.... it's probably fine, but only takes a minute to check.

Hope this helps!
John
Barrel wall thickness at muzzle approximately .179,hole depth .043.Problem? No problem?
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Big Bear: PM me if you are interested in a Browning M65 in 218 Bee. I have a clean one I will part with. It has a Marble's tang sight mounted on it. I also have dies and 500 pieces of new brass.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Big Bear, Sounds like SFRanger has something to check out. :D
Old Law Dawg
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

pending details of above, I still would appreciate thoughts on value of boogered 65.