The Opening Words Of The Accurate Reloading Web Site

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

The Opening Words Of The Accurate Reloading Web Site

Post by Blaine »

Inherently, reloading ammunition is dangerous.
Maybe it's a scare tactic, but I absolutely disagree... ASSuming that one follows directions the average teenager could understand. Flame Suit On :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Opening Words Of The Accurate Reloading Web Site

Post by KCSO »

EVERYTHING is dangerous, you just choose how much danger you can live with. Hey for some folks walking and chewing gum is DANGEROUS. I think the idea here is to get the newbie thinking safety right off the bat.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, being a red blooded American male well past coming of age, I will say this about that:

Hand loading can be perfectly safe if directions are followed. If not then it will be extremely dangerous.
When I was in high school, way back in the 60s ... (that's 1960s Blaine), one of my school mates missed some days. When he came back his hand was all wrapped up in bandages. I never did get the exact story but he was loading ammo, shotgun IIRC, and something happened. His hand was never right after that.
Yet I started hand loading about the same time and I have all my digits and they are still functional.

I choose to be careful.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

That statement is from accuratereloading.com, not affiliated with Accurate Reloading Powders or Western Powders, but just another forum website.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC it was Jeff Cooper that said, guns are not fool proof but fools weren't meant to carry guns.

The way I figure it life is all about the odds. You better your odds by making the right choices.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When dealing with components that contain the potential power
that powder and primers do, some people need that kind of warning to get their brain on the right track.
Kinda like a 2x4 up the back of the head don`t ya know. :wink:
Others are not safe with a marshmallow in their hands. :o
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Maybe it's a scare tactic, but I absolutely disagree... ASSuming that one follows directions the average teenager could understand. Flame Suit On :lol:
I wouldn't quite put it like that. I rather like "reloading is inherently dangerous."

And fully understand the mentality from which the statement comes. One cannot assume that others will follow directions, recommended load formulas; but, rather, are more likely to exhibit poor choices in component selection. Yes, done correctly, with due caution and care, it can be safer than sleeping in your own bed. While I haven't read the context in which it is stated, it is not an UNTRUE statement. I wouldn't expect that it would be a scare tactic, but should be taken as a cautionary advisement.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Dangerous, nah. Reloading is so simple even a caveman... well perhaps not a caveman. :roll: :D
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ha..!

I've managed to injure myself pretty well doing activities that were supposedly "inherently safe"... :oops: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ha..!

I've managed to injure myself pretty well doing activities that were supposedly "inherently safe"... :oops: :lol:
Yeah, I believe going to doctors kills more people than gun stupidity :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Crossing the street is inherently dangerous. Driving a car is inherently dangerous. Forgetting your wife's birthday is extremely dangerous. We live with potential danger all the time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Yeah, I believe going to doctors kills more people than gun stupidity :twisted:
I remind my colleagues of that whenever they espress hoplophobic ideas.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I am reminded of the story (possibly apocryphal) of the RTussian fireames instructor who wore his 1911 cocked-and-locked. When a student asked him, "Isn't that unsafe?", he replied, "Is gun! Is no safe!"

We all do countless inherently dangerous things every day. While obsessing over this fact can paralyze us, we run in to trouble when we allow ourselves to forget it. I think the folks at Accurate are wise to state the facts up front.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I wouldn't call that statement "fact". To me "inherently" means it will happen, sooner or later, that all by itself, with no interferrance from an idiot, it is dangerous. Not so. I understand the potential dangers working with powder and primer (and alledged health problems casting lead boolits) and I treat these components accordingly. A pat on my back; reloading since late '70s, still have 10 fingers, two eyes, no ruined guns, only one squib (very early on) and thousands of hours of an enjoyable passtime. Best reloading tool available: common sense...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:I wouldn't call that statement "fact". To me "inherently" means it will happen, sooner or later, that all by itself, with no interferrance from an idiot, it is dangerous. Not so. I understand the potential dangers working with powder and primer (and alledged health problems casting lead boolits) and I treat these components accordingly. A pat on my back; reloading since late '70s, still have 10 fingers, two eyes, no ruined guns, only one squib (very early on) and thousands of hours of an enjoyable passtime. Best reloading tool available: common sense...
Yes, that's what I wanted to say :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

.Dirty-.Thirty wrote:Dangerous, nah. Reloading is so simple even a caveman... well perhaps not a caveman. :roll: :D
Not again!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I wish they would NOT have those warnings. It knocks down potential winners of the "Darwin Awards"--you know, the guy who went to pieces because he loaded his 30-06 with 60 grains of Bullseye.

It helps to keep the "tarts"out and strengthens our gene pool :D Come on! Its tongue-in-cheek for you lawyer types out there.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

On construction sites, I never had a concrete block wall fall on me--but others did. I never got stabbed in the arm by shears accidentally dropped down an elevator shaft--but others did. I never got blown of the the top story of a 65 story building while holding a piece of plywood--but one guy did. I never had an injury on a construction site site until I took off my hard hat in 100 degree weather while on the roof of a building. I was the only person on the roof so I shouldn't need a hard hat. But the wind blew my ladder off of the wall of the elevator shaft--and that lack of common sense cost me 4 stitches in the temple.

Same thing applies to guns. Best safety is between your ears. You just need some harsh reminders sometimes!!!

rimrock
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:
Lawyer-speak. They are afraid of litigation, like every business in this country. The line may help them when some twit decides not to follow any of their instructions, blows off a few fingers, and then tries to sue them... :evil:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The most dangerous activity in modern society is driving. When alcohol is added to the mix, pun intended, the stats skyrocket. I can imagine our Law Enforcement members have many sad and disturbing stories about vehicle accidents and homicides. So even our suppliers call our sport dangerous when driving to the gun shop is far more dangerous and yet in reality the level of danger while driving is quite manageable.

With the last week of weather here I've witnessed a number of serious accidents involving icy roads and speeding. I'm a travelling oilfield salesman so I'm out in the worst weather as the patch doesn't rest here in the winter due to winter access into the frozen bush.

This year my fine neighbor was killed by a drunk driver running a red light. The punk ran off and hid in some trees until the K9 unit tracked him down. We have more dead from one long weekend across Canada than all gun accidents and crimes for a year.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mikld wrote:I wouldn't call that statement "fact". To me "inherently" means it will happen, sooner or later, that all by itself, with no interferrance from an idiot, it is dangerous. Not so. I understand the potential dangers working with powder and primer (and alledged health problems casting lead boolits) and I treat these components accordingly. A pat on my back; reloading since late '70s, still have 10 fingers, two eyes, no ruined guns, only one squib (very early on) and thousands of hours of an enjoyable passtime. Best reloading tool available: common sense...
That's not what they meant to say, or they would have said, "Reloading is certain to cause injury."

"Reloading is inherently dangerous" simply means that the danger is there, waiting for some idiot to set it free. Just like driving on the expressway at rush hour is inherently dangerous -- doesn't mean that I'm going to get hurt every time drive at that time of day. But, if I do something stupid - like drive drunk, or read my Kindle while in traffic, etc - I increase my changes of injuring or killing myself or someone like me.

If reloading wasn't inherently dangerous we would turn to our 6 year old kid and tell them, "Hey Junior, go load me up 100 rounds for my Winchester tonight. Set them on the kitchen table and I'll grab them in the morning on the way to the deer lease." Then we could go to bed early and sleep in total peace, right?

Piller was right in what he said. I wouldn't cross the street with my eyes closed. I wouldn't drive drunk. And I wouldn't tell my wife I forgot her birthday with a smirk on my face. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

Question Bob, And just how many vehicles and/or drivers have been banned from the road in Canada? None! Yet Canadians have to put up with a virtual gun ban. Sorry for stealing the post.....