Swedish CG63

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Swedish CG63

Post by Buster95 »

Does anyone own one? How is it?

Last edited by Buster95 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Swedish CG63

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Is that a Swede target rifle?

I think it's one of those things that you have to want to have.... as far as an investment... who knows?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

You will be hard pressed to find an iron sighted rifle that will be more accurate than the diopter Swede target rifles. My M96, once dialed in will cloverleaf all day long at 300 yards with the iron sights.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

One is on my "Wish List". Swede Mausers in stock form and the 6.5x55 are very accurate to begin with (presuming neither Bubba nor his Scandinavian cousin Olaf got a hold of it first :lol: ) so it's hard to see how the target version can be anything other than even better (the above caveat not withstanding :wink: ).
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:You will be hard pressed to find an iron sighted rifle that will be more accurate than the diopter Swede target rifles. My M96, once dialed in will cloverleaf all day long at 300 yards with the iron sights.
+1000. But...

My Swiss K31 with Anschutz diopters will give the CG63 a run for the money. BTW, if anyone ever comes across a CG63 in good condition, buy it immediately. And then send it to me.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I kick myself often for not buying one back when they could be had for under $400. A friend has one that provides just about the sweetest shooting experience I have ever had. It's a target rifle, true; but if you've the stamina to tote it in to the field it is wonderful to hunt with, too.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Last one I saw was @ $500 and the bore was rotten...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

Thanks guys and thanks to the anonymous person for the pic at top. I'm interested in one in very good condition with a very good bore with Soderin diopter sights, Carl Gustafs 1903 receiver, bolt and receiver matching, the seller want $475 + taxes + $25 for the shipping for it, good buy?
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

A question I forgot to ask, I know original CG 63 barrels are not available so what happen if I need a new barrel?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Buster95 wrote:Thanks guys and thanks to the anonymous person for the pic at top. I'm interested in one in very good condition with a very good bore with Soderin diopter sights, Carl Gustafs 1903 receiver, bolt and receiver matching, the seller want $475 + taxes + $25 for the shipping for it, good buy?
Very good buy!!! If you pass please let me know where it is, I would love to buy one at that price!!

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Buster95 wrote:A question I forgot to ask, I know original CG 63 barrels are not available so what happen if I need a new barrel?
The barrel that is on it is bedded to the action, and if you replace it you would need a good smith to relace the front sight and most likely rebed the action. But. if the bore is good then you will probably get 10,000 rounds before replacement.

If you shoot cast then you will most likely never replace the barrel.

Steve
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have handled three of these and shot mine with match grade hand loads. It will group under 1" at 100 yards with the target grade peep sights IF you are that good a shot! All I have seen had excellent bores and were still shooters, but they did have what I would term as moderate throat wear. I traded mine for a lever gun after I got done playing with it as I don't shoot long range target anymore.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:You will be hard pressed to find an iron sighted rifle that will be more accurate than the diopter Swede target rifles. My M96, once dialed in will cloverleaf all day long at 300 yards with the iron sights.
I can't even SEE a black dot on a white target at 300 yards unless it is several inches in diameter, so even if you could (barely) see a one-inch dot at 300 yards with iron sights, how can you 'cloverleaf' shots...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Buster95 wrote:Thanks guys and thanks to the anonymous person for the pic at top. I'm interested in one in very good condition with a very good bore with Soderin diopter sights, Carl Gustafs 1903 receiver, bolt and receiver matching, the seller want $475 + taxes + $25 for the shipping for it, good buy?

If it has the diopter sight on it, then that is a very good buy.
.........THE TWINS..........

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Be careful when buying a CG63. Many of them have been range rifles, and have been rebarreled twice, thrice or more. Chamber length was adjusted by turning the barrel harder into the reciever. If the gun seems to have been much used, look for another, as there have been accidents with blow up action. American prices are high: they go för 200-500 Swedish crowns her, i.e. $30-75.

But a CG 63 in good shape is a great shooter!

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

cubrock wrote:

If it has the diopter sight on it, then that is a very good buy.
Yes it has diopter sight.
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

Old Shatterhand wrote:Be careful when buying a CG63. Many of them have been range rifles, and have been rebarreled twice, thrice or more. Chamber length was adjusted by turning the barrel harder into the reciever. If the gun seems to have been much used, look for another, as there have been accidents with blow up action. American prices are high: they go för 200-500 Swedish crowns her, i.e. $30-75.

But a CG 63 in good shape is a great shooter!

Old Sh.
$30-$75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: And importers buy them in batches...imagine at what price each :shock: :shock:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Shatterhand wrote:American prices are high: they go för 200-500 Swedish crowns her, i.e. $30-75.
I'll take 10! I'll even pay an extra $5/ea for the handpicked ones! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

awp101 wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:American prices are high: they go för 200-500 Swedish crowns her, i.e. $30-75.
I'll take 10! I'll even pay an extra $5/ea for the handpicked ones! :lol:
:mrgreen:
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

What is the best sight between Soderin and Elit? I can have one in like new condition with Elit sights for $750 or another with Soderin sights in very good condition with Soderin sights for $690. Both price includes all taxes and shipping.

Also, where I can find front sight inserts for Elit? They are harder to find than those for the Soderin.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Buster95 wrote:What is the best sight between Soderin and Elit? I can have one in like new condition with Elit sights for $750 or another with Soderin sights in very good condition with Soderin sights for $690. Both price includes all taxes and shipping.

Also, where I can find front sight inserts for Elit? They are harder to find than those for the Soderin.
About: http://swedishmauser.blogspot.com/2009/ ... sight.html

Here: http://skytteservicealmhult.se/list_var ... 74&lang=sv Contact: click "Kontakt" and send a mejl. (30 Kr is about $4.)

http://www.blocket.se/skaraborg/DIOPTRA ... 871671.htm Contact: click mejla and use the form.

Old Sh.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Shatterhand,

Sorry about the hyjack of the thread OP.

Do you collect any of the Finnish Mosin Nagants?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

SteveR wrote:Old Shatterhand,

Thanks,
Steve
No - I haven't not even handled or seen one. But there are alot of them at our neighbours in Finland.

Old Sh.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I can't even SEE a black dot on a white target at 300 yards unless it is several inches in diameter, so even if you could (barely) see a one-inch dot at 300 yards with iron sights, how can you 'cloverleaf' shots...?
Doc.. The bullseye is sized larger for longer ranges...A six foot diameter bull @ 1000m still looks pretty small.... The front sight aperture would stay the same depending on a shooters tastes and lighting conditions etc. I put a Soderin rear sight insert in my bone stock Swede 96 and left the post front sight....I don’t think that rifle has ever shot out side of 1” 3 shot groups @100 and I’ve had several sub 1” using 120gr Sierra ..I’ve read that aperture sights really don’t start to be an advantage until after 275m....I believe it...
All I’d ever read about target rifles came into question because of this rifle... No special bedding...Open sights ...29.5” long barrel ...1” striker fall.... i.e. Long barrel and lock times with open sights.. My 96 rifle taught me how accurate I can/could shoot and how accurate open sights can be...Over time tho I think the Elit sight would give more Xs
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
SteveR wrote:Old Shatterhand,

Thanks,
Steve
No - I haven't not even handled or seen one. But there are alot of them at our neighbours in Finland.

Old Sh.
Oh, I was hoping you did, but I still have a bunch of nice Husqvarna rifles :D . My favorite in the 9.3x62mm.

Steve
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Doc, I used to cheat! You would walk up to the target to patch your sight in shots, and while standing there make a bullet hole dead center with a sharp pencil stub. The masking tape on the black target sticks out like a sore thumb. Then just hold on the button in the center of the bad guys tunic. :)