Way OT; Signature Lines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Way OT; Signature Lines

Post by mikld »

I been hanging around here and participating when I got sumpin' constructive to add, so I've seen a lot of your avatars and signature lines. Well, I haven't been able to figger them all out, so how about explainations? I know it's kinda "cutesy" but I've got several hundred boolits cast up and a whole lot of loads to shoot but the "range" is flooded out and I'm bored.

Mine, "My anchor is holding fast", comes from my first cancer surgery. I told my Pastor about the surgery and his next sermon was about Jesus Christ being our anchor in times of trouble; life's storms. I've been around the ocean all my life and boated/sailed a lot so this message was appropriate for me. Excellent sermon that reminded me where my strength lies. Well, I came through the surgery pretty good and just have some minor treatments to go. So, My Anchor, Jesue Christ, is holding fast...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Way OT; Signature Lines

Post by kimwcook »

Well, my sig line isn't an inspiration or a motto to live by, it's just what I do.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Mine has all to do with my line of work. Been on Active Duty going on 15 years now.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

Just a bit of humor in mine
I am one gun away from happy
PEteacher
Levergunner

Post by PEteacher »

My signature line is: "Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
from "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge

"Wild at Heart" changed my life. If you are a man, or if you have a father, son, husband, or brother, you should read this book. Since I read this book ten or so years ago, I have given away over fifty copies. John Eldredge helps the reader understand why men are the way they are (good or bad), and helps us find our way back to how God intended us to be - "Wild at Heart". My wife, mother, and oldest daughter understand us men better through this book. After the Bible, this has been the most influential book in my life.

Eldredge did not write the above quote, but writes about how it was a great influence in his life. Working with young kids makes me "come alive", and I have been blessed to be an elementary physical education teacher for twenty-seven years. It is my mission field. I have received local, state, and national recognition for my work, and I know it is because I am doing what God created me for - what makes me "come alive." I see far too many people in my field and others who are not happy, because they did not find what makes them come alive.

Also, as I posted earlier today on another topic, ... influenced by the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, My wife and I know our son (and daughters to a lesser degree) need to take chances / risks to fully enjoy their lives as God intends. But since we hope they put a little thought into these risks, our family "Goodbye" to each other has been for several years, "See ya, love ya, don't be stupid!"

<><
Jeff
"Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Words to (literally) live by. Expressed by an old (probably in his late 20's) sarge at a military survival school. The basic idea is to keep below the radar, think then act deliberately, and don't telegraph your intentions until you are ready. It works for so many thing in life.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mine changes but I try to find something from my life (God, Arizona, Army, Flying etc.). I didn't have one for the longest time but you fellas inspired me to put something there. Obviously got an Arizona thing going right now. Not sure what's next... :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A little humor, what I do, and a plug for the NRA :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mine is simply a quote from a post I made several years ago. It fit so many ways I thought it would make a good sig line. I use it on all the forums I'm on.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think mine is all self explanatory...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Mine just describes the sound of most guns. If'n you heard the first two clicks................BOOM!!
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mine is pretty self explanatory. The first part is not my view of the world, but how my wife thinks of how I am! :lol: The second is my standard starting line for CAS when I can't remember the actual line we're supposed to say! 'Sides, if we wait til we're really ready... opportunity has passed. The 3rd is the top item on my bucket list!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The photo is my Great Dane Lucy with a "Why are you bothering me?" look.

The sig line is from last year's levergun hog hut at 86er and Ricky's place in Texas.
Ricky was introducing some of the new arrivals and mentioned that I had come all the way down from Ohio.

I heard someone ( I won't say who Vance :D ) say, "Another dirty Yankee!?".
I thought it was just darned funny and it stuck with me all the way home.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Did someone call my name :D

The current avatar is the Bonnie Blue flag. It was carried by some Confederate units in the War of Northern Aggression but the reason I have it is because the early and current Texas flags were based on it. No racism (just prejudice against Yankees-My wife grew up not far from 2ndovc :lol: ) and proud to be a 6th generation Texan.

The sig line just reminds me to treat others as I would want to be treated.

[oh, and I explained to you that a "Dirty Yankee" is one who comes south and stays. We don't mind if you just come to visit . . . for a little while :D I know, I just shot my chances of ever being on the Chamber of Commerce)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well, I’m partial to 99s and my sig line quote is mighty high praise from a Shootist that has “RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH” in his sig line
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

If I have to explain mine, you wouldn't understand it anyway. :D :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Mine (current one anyway) reflects my view on the sacred nature of the hunt. And it is the english poetic (as opposed to literal translation) version of the poem on the Jagermeister bottle. ;)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

PEteacher wrote:My signature line is: "Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."

"Wild at Heart" changed my life. If you are a man, or if you have a father, son, husband, or brother, you should read this book. Since I read this book ten or so years ago, I have given away over fifty copies. John Eldredge helps the reader understand why men are the way they are (good or bad), and helps us find our way back to how God intended us to be - "Wild at Heart". My wife, mother, and oldest daughter understand us men better through this book. After the Bible, this has been the most influential book in my life.

Eldredge did not write the above quote, but writes about how it was a great influence in his life. Working with young kids makes me "come alive", and I have been blessed to be an elementary physical education teacher for twenty-seven years. It is my mission field. I have received local, state, and national recognition for my work, and I know it is because I am doing what God created me for - what makes me "come alive." I see far too many people in my field and others who are not happy, because they did not find what makes them come alive.

Also, as I posted earlier today on another topic, ... influenced by the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, My wife and I know our son (and daughters to a lesser degree) need to take chances / risks to fully enjoy their lives as God intends. But since we hope they put a little thought into these risks, our family "Goodbye" to each other has been for several years, "See ya, love ya, don't be stupid!"

<><
Jeff
Jeff,

I was so intrigued that I got this as my next book for the Kindle. Thanks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

To be honest, I hadn't looked at mine in forever and your post reminded me so I changed it one of the best lines I've heard in a movie.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its what I do with 99% of my free time----family,dogs, gunclub, gunshop, huntin' :D I don't have time nor desire for anything else-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My avatar is a classic photo of the three Shastas, namely Mt. Shasta, Shasta Lake, and Shasta Dam, perhaps the best known identifiers for the far north of California. I am a lifelong resident of Shasta County, so it just seems natural to me to go by that handle. :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Mine is a political whine. It seems to me that our lawmakers spend too much of our resources trying to make it impossible for criminals to commit crimes, and not enough in making sure they are punished when they do.

Hope this doesn't go political. :|

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've had several over the years that I rotate in and out as the mood strikes me.

While the SAA is no longer a first line defensive handgun, a light powerful revolver that points like the finger of God cannot be discounted.
I picked that up from a Gunweek review of some SAA or another IIRC. It struck me as not only very true but appeals to my appreciation of dry wit.

Wheel of Morality turn, turn, turn
Give us the lesson we should learn

I got that from The Animaniacs*. If you ever wondered what happened to "good old cartoons" check them out. Like the Warner Brothers cartoons of old, there's enough slapstick and obvious humor to keep the kids entertained with just enough one liners that only the grown-ups will catch. Plus Yakko Warner is a Groucho Marx clone and as a fan of the Marx Brothers, I couldn't help but like it... :lol:

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13
As someone new to the Faith, these are my two favorite Biblical quotes. "Trust in the Lord with all thy heart" and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". The story behind that will be another post though. :wink:

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?
Sometime in the early to mid-90s, I ran across a folder of "campaign material" at some gaming store to have C'thulhu elected for President in 1996. As a fan of H.P Lovecraft since the late 80's, I just had to have it (and I still do :lol: ). One of the items was a bumper sticker with the above phrase (except it was for 1996). When I hit the internet in 1999, the 2000 elections were on the horizon and it just struck me as eminently funny and appropriate. It still does. :lol:

Two others I rotate in from time to time:

While the Python may be a better firearm, when you run out of bullets, nothing screams "pistol whip" like an N Frame
Several years ago, I was a regular on the S&W Forum. I left to protect my bank account ("keeping up with the Joneses" so to speak) and because many of the hardcore collectors had no sense of humor. At some point while I was there, a member did a comparison of the Python and an N Frame. That line really struck my funny bone and I've used it off and on ever since.

Everything Louder than Everything Else
It's on the back of the Motorhead concert t shirt I picked up last year. Supposedly it's a play on a request one of the members of Deep Purple had during a Montreaux Rock Festival in the early 70s: "Can we have everything louder than everyone else?". For years, I was a huge fan of heavy metal and speed metal. Over the past couple of years I've cut waaaay back on my listening of those genres but Motorhead was and still is one of my favorites. When they came through town in 2009 with a local band I really enjoy (The Reverend Horton Heat) I had to go see them and of course that meant a t shirt to commemorate the event (I do most of my clothes shopping at car shows, gun shows and concerts :lol: ). The phrase stuck me as a stroke of genius and I ran with it. :lol:

* Animaniacs theme song :mrgreen:
It's time for Animaniacs
And we're zany to the max
So just sit back and relax
You'll laugh 'til you collapse
We're animan-iacs

Come join the Warner brothers
And the Warner sister, Dot
Just for fun we run around the Warner movie lot
They lock us in the tower
Whenever we get caught
But we break loose and then vamoose
and now you know the plot

We're animaniacs
Dot is cute and Yakko yaks
Wakko packs away the snacks
While Bill Clinton plays the sax
We're Animaniacs

Meet Pinky and the Brain who want to rule the universe
Good Feathers flock together, Slappy whacks 'em with her purse
Buttons chases Mindy while Rita sings a verse
The writers flipped we have no script why bother to rehearse

We're animaniacs
We have pay or play contracts
We're zany to the max
There's baloney in our slacks
We're animany
Totally insaney
Here's the shows name-y [changes from time to time]

Animaniacs
Those are the facts.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I may change the avatar from time to time but my signature line just means I don't really like change, basically, I'm an just an old fanny burp.. :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

[quote="vancelw"]Did someone call my name :D

The current avatar is the Bonnie Blue flag. It was carried by some Confederate units in the War of Northern Aggression but the reason I have it is because the early and current Texas flags were based on it. No racism (just prejudice against Yankees-My wife grew up not far from 2ndovc :lol: ) and proud to be a 6th generation Texan.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I've read that the Bonnie Blue Flag began as the flag of the shortlived Republic of West Florida, which extended from the Mississippi River across the six Mississippi coastal counties, Mobile and Baldwin counties in Alabama, and into western Florida. The folks living there got tired of being claimed by Spain, Great Britain, and the United States, and just claimed to be independent of all of them. Some later moved to Texas and took their flag with them.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine are just quotes that I like. They have meaning to me, but may not mean much to most others. By the way, the first one is sort of a slap at my profession and also the Doctors who still use latin. It loosly translates as "saying it in latin sounds more educated than it really is." I firmly believe that all prescriptions should be printed out by a computer and in english only. When the patient can read their own prescription, they can help to make sure the prescription is for what they thought it was for, and make sure the pharmacy fills it correctly. It adds just one more accuracy check in the system. With the currently available tamper/copy resistant paper available, I just think holding on to a 400 year old idea whose time has passed is just silly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I'm like pillar.My tag lines are lines that I like and that are integral to my life.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

While some guys here like the old stuff - KirkD, MikeD, Sixgun, and Rangerider come immediately to mind but there are many more, I like the old designs made anew. It is almost like - wow look at what they can do with this stuff now. Not that I think that is actually where the view comes from. But a Freedom Arms or the high speed machining on the Texican or the TC New Englander. Great scopes, powders, bullets etc. That is what stirs my interest more. I used the phrase one time and KirkD suggested I use it as a sig line. And of course having a great deal of respect for him I did.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Mine is just some old cowboy wisdom. It refers to more than water. Try not to let the prejudice of others, especially journalists and the media, pollute how you feel or think about things.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

jackruff, 2ndovc, While I was in the army at Ft Polk a fellow from Alabama taught us that y'allnogoodgoddamnyankees was one word in his neck of the woods. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

awp101 wrote:I've had several over the years that I rotate in and out as the mood strikes me.

While the SAA is no longer a first line defensive handgun, a light powerful revolver that points like the finger of God cannot be discounted.
I picked that up from a Gunweek review of some SAA or another IIRC. It struck me as not only very true but appeals to my appreciation of dry wit. ...

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?
Sometime in the early to mid-90s, I ran across a folder of "campaign material" at some gaming store to have C'thulhu elected for President in 1996. As a fan of H.P Lovecraft since the late 80's, I just had to have it (and I still do :lol: ). One of the items was a bumper sticker with the above phrase (except it was for 1996). When I hit the internet in 1999, the 2000 elections were on the horizon and it just struck me as eminently funny and appropriate. It still does. :lol:
I like that one...

BTW, who made the avatar? It's cool...

My sigs don't usually change much. I recently added Daniel 5: 25 because I think it's politically appropriate..

My version of the "pledge" is there for the same reason.

Other political randomness comes and goes.

My Avatar is a Pun. "Old Ironsides" (the ship) vs "Old Ironsights" the reluctant scope user...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Mine is what I am, concerning firearms. I acquire a piece of vintage history, enjoy that piece of vintage history, and then pass that piece of vintage history on, for someone else to enjoy. I'm very pragmatic about them.....they are just "things".
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Mine is a quote from an old sergeant I went through Sea School with back in 1984.Whenever things got a little tough or the chickenstuff got a little deep he would say that. :)
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Mine is as true today as it was 70 years ago.
I just wish our government (or enough citizens to vote the right people into office) had the guts to embrace it.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My avatar is the book jacket for "The Ysabel Kid" (pronounced "sable" - the "Y" is silent). JT Edson wrote the "Floating Outfit" western series in the 60's and 70's, and this was one of the main characters. A friend of mine, a long time ago, said the character reminded him of me, so I started reading the series as well.

My signature bar is a plug for the "Patriot Post", as well as my membership status within the NRA. It changes every now and again, but not frequently.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Mine is taken from the book "The Forgotten Soldier", by Guy Sajer. His is the story of a half german half french teenager that served in the German army in WW2. From the inavasion of Russia in 1941 until he surrendered to the Allies in 1945, he tells the story of serving in the army that was hated by the whole world. I highly recommend reading this book. The quote I use for my signature line comes from late in the war when the Gross Deutchland division is trying to stem the Red advance toward Germany.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my avatar is a patch off my old flight jacket.the sig line is my wings and the DAV which I have to say really helped out when I needed it with the battle with the VA.oh the win BB94 375 just because its my FAV :lol: .

pete
DAV life member.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

“Signature Lines”
Took me awhile to find one that gave me that tingle down in my soul as a
verbal expression of who I am now and who I’m becoming.

"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few" Robin Lacy