Like, TOTALLY OT - Best Shave Cream

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Like, TOTALLY OT - Best Shave Cream

Post by JohndeFresno »

I've tried them all, it seems.

Gettin' on in "experience," my skin is a bit thinner, with some subtle but very manly and attractive wrikles; and my beard is getting coarser. So it's harder to get a quick, clean, cutless shave.

Over the years, and again and again, I've tried:
Foam shaving cream - junk on the hands and all over the counter
Self-heating shaving cream (some type of chemical reaction; Christmas gifts)
Mug shaving soaps and brush (Old Spice, The Soap Shed online, etc.)
--- Kinda cool, but time consuming (even with good quality stuff)
Hand soap (works for me on the road!)
Some creamy gooey junk
A few gels - nasty!
That Barbasol stuff in a tube that used to be dispensed in mens' rooms
Dry shaving - not so good in these later years; great for testing my stypic pencil

Voila! One of my Christmas gifts from a daughter was a 6 oz. brown tube of shaving cream that works like a charm. Best, closest, quickest shave I've ever had. It costs around $8 for the six ouncer, probably less in larger orders online. She purchased it at one of these eco-friendly food stores - "Best Foods" in Fresno, CA.

Love the stuff - never turning back. I don't have to steam up my face to get a close, surgery free shave. And it packs well, won't present pressure bursting problems in an airplane, and doesn't drip, foam, or whatever. It's a thick cream. There is a website for the stuff. The product:
Burt's Bees Shaving Cream

I haven't priced it out versus other shaving products, but it takes so little - just wet my face and smear the stuff on, then drag the disposable razor across the front of my head. No foaming - looks like a thick sun block. I used to have problems with the scar on my chin and across my chops - one stroke gets these areas now, with this stuff.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Like, TOTALLY OT - Best Shave Cream

Post by RKrodle »

Good info thanks, I may try some out. For years I've been just using bar/bath soap as I shower. I don't have a real heavy beard but when I shave I like a close shave.
Ricky

DWWC
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yeah, John, all Burt's Bees products are good. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I like the edge gel, it works well for me. I've found the razor has more to do with it than the soap. I generally get the relatively cheap disposables, but had to break down in an emergency (date and forgot to shave) and buy a better grade of disposable. It had 3 blades per shaver and a 3 pack cost more for 3 shavers than a large pack of the disposables. I can even shave dry with these without it feeling like I'm pulling the hair out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Malamute wrote:...I can even shave dry with these without it feeling like I'm pulling the hair out.
Yeah - the good ol' days. But wait until you are on the dark side of the 60's or so, pard!

I use the same double blade Gillette disposables that I used when I was on a moving surveillance, some 20 years ago. During the course of the assignment, the bad guy spotted me and got a good look at my bearded countenance. I had been behind him for a few turns. I dropped back, took off my jacket and cap and quickly dry shaved with a mirror, while still moving.

Within a minute or two I pulled up back into position and he never indicated that he recognized me. If I tried that now, I'd bleed out before I could pull out of traffic! Things change with the passing of the moons.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I'm gonna have to see if I can find some of the Burt's Bees.

However, I still enjoy working up a good lather with a brush. That morning ritual is very soothing; feeling those bristles working around on my face. I'm blond so my hair is not very course, at least not yet; I'm only 55.

I think some of the enjoyment comes from remembering watching my grandfather strap his straight razor then use the brush to lather up and shave. And I also watched my dad use a brush and shaving soap most of his life though he used the old double edge safety razor. I'm kinda carrying on a tradition. No straight razor for me though, I use a Gillette Mach3.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm at the tail end of my bar of Savon de Campagne and the woman who makes it has moved and won't be set up in time for me to get more. I'll use it with a brush.

I use single edge blades. Most made in the early 1900s and hand forged in England and a couple of Shumate Tungstens from the 20s.

10 ga shell:

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look for some of that. I hate shaving, so anything that will make it easier is always good.
NRA Life Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Burt's stuff is indeed great but I'll put in a word for the premium shavers with more blades also. I tried one of the new ones that has, I think, five blades in it because someone else raved about it and I just can't believe how much better it is than the old two blade disposable I had been using for years. Seriously - do yourself a favor and try one, it's not just marketing.

I'll add that I've tried all of the electrics as well. The Panasonics with the 13,000 RPM cyclic heads are by far the best of the lot.

Best,
Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

A Norelco electric shaver.

I gave up putting sharp instruments near my face and throat as a teenager. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'll stick with my mug and brush, thanks
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Forgot about the electrics. Tried three or more of 'em through the years, including the Norelco (which I still have). It takes four times as long to get nearly the same results using any of the above mentioned soaps/cremes/gels and my humble two-blader. And I still have to take the razor to trouble spots, like my chin and around the breathing holes. Nope - electrics don't do it for me.

Maybe that Panasonic would have worked. Does it play stereo music while you chop the whiskers?

Thanks for the advice on the 26 bladers. Yes, I thought it was a huge gag to make more money; never tried 'em. They sell them at Costco; I'll pick up a bunch next time and try them.

That straight razor thing is sure an elegant way to shave, but I'm all about getting it done quickly, like TedH, so that I can enjoy other parts of the day; I'm just a simple soul.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Ok. Don't laugh but the best shaving cream I have found is sold at most health food stores. It is called KISS MY FACE. They make a scent free brand in a pump bottle. I squirt one shot onto a shaving brush and lather up my face and then shave.

I hate to do this but I will never buy anything from Burt's Bee's. It is a personal thing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sorry but this is just too big an opening to pass up - Barbasol Original and the Gillette Sensor.

Or if you prefer and Italian blonde with at lovely smile.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I shave my head every shower, and it's Barbasol Menthol, and the Mach 3 razor. I used Barbasol when I shaved the face in the Army, too...... A good, strong Bay Rum to finish. BTW, Burt's Bees is a real Greener/Liberal company, tho, that does not turn me off of a good product.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whaler's Dark Rum here, but I apply it internally. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I understand the part about the older I get the thinner my skin gets. I'll have to try the 3-5 multi-blades. I've used Barbasol every since USMC boot. I've tried others, but always revert to the Barbasol. I'd love to use a straight edge, but I've never known anyone who has any experience and could direct me what brand to get.
Old Law Dawg
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I've used regular old Noxema skin creme to shave with (what grandma used to smear on her face years ago), and it is slick, and good for your skin. But that was when I used to shave in the shower...you might try that some time. BTW...nothing takes the heat out of sunburn as fast as a heavy dose of Noxema too..

Ed
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Kansas Ed wrote:...But that was when I used to shave in the shower...
Yeah, I used to shave and sing in the shower. I gave it up; the mirror would sometimes drop on my foot or break on the floor; and my guitar strings started rusting.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

JohndeFresno wrote: ...and my guitar strings started rusting...
LOL!

I've been very happy with my Gillette Mach 3 Turbo razor and Barbasol Soothing Aloe cream. But, I'll have to try Burt's Bees.

Thanks!

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

dont use any.....reg soap in the shower...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

RIHMFIRE wrote:dont use any.....

Me either. I found that shaving cream gums up the works with these:

Forget Norelco. Braun is the way to go for electrics.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
revorg
Levergunner

Post by revorg »

Burts Bees = Roxane Quimby

Quimby once stated: "To me, ownership and private property were the beginning of the end in this country. Once the Europeans came in, drawing lines and dividing things up, things started getting exploited and overconsumed."

http://theantiliberalzone.blogspot.com/ ... uimby.html

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2007/1 ... -in-maine/

She is no friend to any levergunner... :evil:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

revorg wrote:Burts Bees = Roxane Quimby

Quimby once stated: "To me, ownership and private property were the beginning of the end in this country. Once the Europeans came in, drawing lines and dividing things up, things started getting exploited and overconsumed."

http://theantiliberalzone.blogspot.com/ ... uimby.html

http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/2007/1 ... -in-maine/

She is no friend to any levergunner... :evil:
That's only if you bought candles from that liberal screwball, a while back. She has already made her bankroll. Clorox owns it now. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt's_Bees

"...Originating in Maine in the 1980s, the business began when co-founder Roxanne Quimby started making candles from Burt Shavitz's leftover beeswax. Their attention to quality brought success and eventually led to the bottling and selling of honey, a practice that slowly diminished as the company evolved as a corporation.[citation needed] Eventually, other products using honey and beeswax, including edible spreads and furniture polish, were sold, before moving into the personal care line.

"In late 2007, the Clorox Company purchased Burt's Bees."
revorg
Levergunner

Post by revorg »

Interesting... and news to me. I try not to read or even think about the wench.
She can afford a lot of good publicity and naturally the liberal press loves her.
I did hear she was appointed to some cabinet post or other. :shock: :evil: :roll:

I just wanted you to be able to look in the mirror while shaving. :lol:
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I am amazed that so many still buy and use Gillette products. They are against most everything we believe in, such as, gun rights and our rights to self defence and protecting ourselves from violence. They have been on the NRA black list for years. I have not bought their products in probably 20 years, nor will I now.
This Roxane rip must be a close relative of Hillary. :evil:
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

DANG! I'm a big believer in not helping any company profit that uses funds to destroy my way of life. Now I'll have to see what other razors are available.

Whenever I see the Gillette brand, I remember the singing "Gillete Blue Blades" ads as I watched the boxing matches with my dear old Dad on early black-and-white TV. Definitely not liberal fare. "How are you fixed for blades? Gillette Blue Blades of course!"

As for Burt's Bees and Clorox, they used to sponsor Glenn Beck, but decided to back out after criticism. They try to stay apolitical (as a company) in the market. In fact, the Libs hate Clorox for their stance on truly impartial company policy. See these two cites, among many, to support my statement:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 89x6365771
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2320761/posts
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Doggone it! Now I've got to find a new razor! I'm gonna miss those Mach 3 Turbos! :(

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

[quote="Old Savage" - Barbasol Original and the Gillette Sensor. quote]
+ 1, surprisingly!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.