OT Wolves in Oregon it's official

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT Wolves in Oregon it's official

Post by pharmseller »

From the local rag:

Posted by Mike Stahlberg at 04:32 PM on Thursday, January 24, 2008
To participate, click the "Comments" link • (0) Comments
Permalink • Tell-a-Friend

Wolf documented in northeastern Oregon
A female gray wolf from Idaho’s Timberline Pack has been positively located in Oregon, using radio signals from her tracking collar, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced today. Highlights of the ODFW’s news release follow:

The wolf, a two- to three-year-old female identified as B-300, has been wearing the collar since she was captured northeast of Boise by Idaho biologists in August 2006. She’s now traveling in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest near the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area, between Medical Springs and Wallowa. Biologists have observed evidence of wolves in this area over the past six months.

Aerial searches for signals from wolf tracking collars, specifically those which have been reported as missing from Idaho, helped the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife locate the wolf. A signal was picked up January 17, but the location of the animal was not confirmed. A ground search the next day turned up tracks which appeared to be of a wolf. Another aerial search January 21 failed to pick up the signal, but on January 23 the signal was picked up and a single wolf was visually identified.

COMPLETE ENTRY

We knew it was only a matter of time. Mule deer numbers are low and dropping and cougars have much of the blame. Now wolves?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Got any good Wolf loads for the .30-30? :?:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I recomend a muzzle loader with patched round ball. that way there is no rifling marks on the ball when they find the dead wolf.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Or, use a rifle that shoots through the wolf.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Shoot, shovel and shut up, Oregon friends :wink: .!!
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Been reading about DOA wolves killed on the hwy in Oregon for a few years now, looks like they are official now. Sorry to hear it, but then I'm sorry we have them here too!

Sounds like this one is from the pack a few people I know have seen up around the local ski resort. Guess it figured it was to crowded and should move away to start a new pack!

--Carl
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Question?

Post by cvarcher »

If before white man came here there were wolves and cougars werent there also deer and elk and caribou? Why the big concern now?Its man you have to watch out for .No not for killing everything off with guns. Killing everything off for progress-you know shopping malls, golf courses,condos. Personally the more animals and diversity of wilderness and the less humans the more I like it.
1x2
Levergunner

Post by 1x2 »

Yes, but these are not the same species of wolves that were here before being wiped out in the early 1900s. It's more akin to saying, "we're out of cows, go get some", and importing the musk ox. You could do it, but why would a thinking man be impressed? This is not reintroduction, it's "introduction". What's the point?

That aside, nature is self-regulating, sort of, over a long period of time. In the meantime, the wolves multiply and kill sheep and cattle, as well as elk and the ranchers, then we (the taxpayers and sportsmen) pay for it. The elk would be ok if we didn't feed them, but they're trapped between suburban sprawl and need to be fed to stay alive. This is complex in itself, but the few areas that elk can roam, where we've set aside areas for them, are majestic mountainous areas with poor winter browse- elk are plains animals, not forest dwellers- they take to the mountains to escape traiffic (read "us"). Anyhow, the wolves set up camp near the feeding areas...

You can't (currently) legally shoot these things; like grizzlies, they're protected (at least until this coming fall, in Idaho) and, like grizzlies, due to this extended state of protection, have no fear of man- so all your wives and kids and fishermen frolicking about in camps and streams become potential targets.

Like grizzlies and bison, you can't keep 'em in the parks; they can't read the boundary signs...

Not the whole case, just a few random thoughts...

1x2
Last edited by 1x2 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question?

Post by pharmseller »

cvarcher wrote:If before white man came here there were wolves and cougars werent there also deer and elk and caribou? Why the big concern now?Its man you have to watch out for .No not for killing everything off with guns. Killing everything off for progress-you know shopping malls, golf courses,condos. Personally the more animals and diversity of wilderness and the less humans the more I like it.
Why the big concern now is that there ARE "white men" here. Granted, humans goof up the balance almost by definition. But it is what it is, and adding more predators besides man into the equation puts an overwhelming strain on prey animals. We can all join hands and lament what the "white man" has done with shopping malls and golf courses, but that doesn't help the deer or elk populations any.
Humans are predators and we are controlled by seasons and bag limits. It is up to us to control other predators as well.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The reason we got rid of wolves in the first place is that we compete for the same food. I shoot coyotes because they eat grouse and I eat grouse . Am I wrong . I don't know but it's reality.

Until you have wolves circling you while your in the woods , then you'll know what your comfort level is sharing the woods with wolves.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

If they have collars on...and they have gps systems on them
dont mess with them....the officials will be on your @$$ faster
than you think...
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

RIHMFIRE wrote:If they have collars on...and they have gps systems on them
dont mess with them....the officials will be on your @$$ faster
than you think...
If there is a collar they WILL bring in a forensic team and most likely will
trace you to your home.

On the brighter side, give it 10-20 years and there will be bounties on there
heads again. Doing what they naturally do, we will have to take care of them
yet again.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Time to pour antifreeze on the gutpiles after deer and elk season. I know it sounds harsh but I have heard of it being done before.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Time to pour antifreeze on the gutpiles after deer and elk season. I know it sounds harsh but I have heard of it being done before.
The problem with this is wolves aren't the only critters that scavenge for food. Bald Eagles are major scavengers along with muliple species of mamals and birds. Would you sentence them all to death just to take out one species?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question?

Post by marlinman93 »

cvarcher wrote:If before white man came here there were wolves and cougars werent there also deer and elk and caribou? Why the big concern now?Its man you have to watch out for .No not for killing everything off with guns. Killing everything off for progress-you know shopping malls, golf courses,condos. Personally the more animals and diversity of wilderness and the less humans the more I like it.
In today's politicaly correct climate, it's easier to do something about too many "white men" and malls, than it is to do anything about predators, especially wolves!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You could use some of our special condor loads.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like the way you think Fred. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis