1892 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

1892 Winchester

Post by HEAD0001 »

Has anyone seen the rifle Davidson's is selling. It is supose to be a limited run 1892 takedown in 32-20?? I am just looking for opinions on this rifle. I have always wanted a take down, but never owned one. And I would really like to find a 32-20. It looks like a great rifle.

Has anyone seen any(any cartridge) of the 1892's(new ones) in any gun shops?? At what price?? not necessarily even a take down. I am just trying to get some prices to compare to. The reason is because that 1892 in 45 Colt is also looking real good. I have a little mnoey save up that is burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks, Tom.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1892 Winchester

Post by 1886 »

I have seen the take down Trapper chambered in .45 Colt. Very pretty rifle. I still have trouble warming up to the tang safety and the rebounding hammer. 1886.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

1886 wrote:I have seen the take down Trapper chambered in .45 Colt. Very pretty rifle. I still have trouble warming up to the tang safety and the rebounding hammer. 1886.

I have one of the 1886 Extra Lights. And as you know they have those same features. I let a friend of mine shoot the rifle and he put the safety back on. I went to shoot the rifle at a ground hog and it would not fire. I was fit to be tied. I tried again, no fire. I really got mad. I put the rifle back in the case and stormed home. Took the rifle out on the porch-reloaded it, but still it would not fire. I never even thought about the tang safety on the rifle. It took me about 1/2 hour to figure it out. I actually forgot about the tang safety. Tom.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

CDNN $999.00
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I paid $1400 for the 24" deluxe TD, in 32-20, back in April. I sold it a month later for $1200 and you can buy them today, at CDNN, for $999. Beautiful rifle, trigger and safety were not that big of a problem/issue, but it threw brass 3 benches away from me. I spent more time hunting for brass than shooting it. You shouldn't have to spend any time or money to get an expensive rifle to shoot right.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

jdad what did the wood look like??

I have tried a few times to look up rifles on CDNN. But I can never find a price. Or even a gun listed?? What am I doing wrong?? Do you have to be a dealer?? Thanks, Tom.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

HEAD001,

I've had a Davidson's Winchester 1892 in .32-20 for a year now, and I'm very happy with it. I have a good load for it, it does well at lever action silhouettes and I would buy it again. I removed the tang safety, then mounted an MVA soule sight.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I bet that's a lot of fun to shoot!
Cimarron Red wrote:HEAD001,

I've had a Davidson's Winchester 1892 in .32-20 for a year now, and I'm very happy with it. I have a good load for it, it does well at lever action silhouettes and I would buy it again. I removed the tang safety, then mounted an MVA soule sight.

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

JB,

You bet! It's the most fun you can have standing up!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Goregous! :mrgreen:
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

it's on page 62.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

HEAD0001 wrote:jdad what did the wood look like??

I have tried a few times to look up rifles on CDNN. But I can never find a price. Or even a gun listed?? What am I doing wrong?? Do you have to be a dealer?? Thanks, Tom.
Prices are in the catalog - found here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Or you can call - they're pretty friendly.

I ordered a "limited run" case colored 9422 trapper from them back a few years ago - I would say the wood is above average. It's the short one on this page: http://chadb.com/Winchesters/Winchesters.htm

SAAJim
Levergunner 1.0

Post by SAAJim »

Cimarron Red,
From looking at your pictures, I'd say you got rid of the pesky rebounding hammer as well as the tang safety. 'Cause that hammer looks to be resting fully forward.

Jim

Cimarron Red wrote:HEAD001,

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Yep, Jim. The rebounder is gone, too, as it is on all my Miroku's so equipped. Thanks, in no small measure, to you. And thanks again!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Head,
You will have a lot more fun with one of those in 32-20 than any other caliber. :D (my idiototic opinion) It is a most underestimated cartridge. Unlike Marlins, I have never heard of one of those jap rifles not being a shooter, either in accuracy or in feeding issues. Cheap bullets, cheap brass, cheap in powder consumption, low to no recoil & sound......

That stinkin' Cimarron Red gets all the neat stuff. :evil: Neat rifles, neat sights--all the good stuff.
I thought I recognized those shades behind that rifle. :D Hey Reds, you taking good care of that 7 special order 1894 in 38-55? Just set it next to those shades--I'll know where to find it. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Jack,

Everytime I look at that '94, I think of you -- just long enough to say to myself, "That *** Sixgun is NOT going to get that rifle!"

Just for the record, that .38-55 has eleven special features:

24" barrel
Half-octagon barrel
Nickel steel barrel (not standard in .38-55)
Rapid taper barrel (measures .569" at the muzzle)
Ramp-mounted front sight
Take-down frame
Half-magazine
Marbles Flexible tang sight
Shotgun butt
Hard rubber butt plate
Whelen fluted comb
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh goodness, (Head, sorry on the thread stealin') that rifle gives me the heeby-geebes. At least I can say that I did handle it several times. It is without a doubt the most "special ordered option" rifle I have ever laid my hands on. :D Its one of the nicest guns to ever leave the Winchester factory.

Mike D. & Kirk need to see these pics. Thanks Gary, for taking the time to take and post those pics. :D

Now, for the last time, CAN I HAVE IT????? :D :D ---------------------Me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Jack,

Just one more small bit of information on the .38-55: Winchester records show that my rifle went through the polishing room on July 18, 1918. Madis had the date of manufacture more than two years later.

As for getting the rifle, you've got to treat me well!! ;>)
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

chadbr wrote:
HEAD0001 wrote: I ordered a "limited run" case colored 9422 trapper from them back a few years ago - I would say the wood is above average. It's the short one on this page:
I order one of those as well as the the case colored full size 9422 from them. I have them both put up NIB.