.32 Winchester Special ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

.32 Winchester Special ?

Post by Streetstar »

Any fans out there ? (look who i'm asking) The 32 WS obviously doesn't have the following of the .30 WCF and i have found a couple of nice pre-64 examples at almost acceptable prices (vs the 30/30 that is)

I have been told that originally the 32 WS was a blackpowder round while the .30 as everyone knows has always been a smokeless round -- but other than a little bit bigger bullet, any advantages or drawbacks?

currently bidding on a 1943 model 32 WS on GB strictly due to the price
----- Doug
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .32 Winchester Special ?

Post by Marlin32 »

Excellent round. Better than the 30 for certain. Bid in confidence !!
I have a Marlin, and prefer them to Winchesters.
Thinking of buying another 32sp and then "Improving" it to 32 Improved. Might add another 100-200fps? Not sure what that would gain me, but I am always thinking anyway.

I just wish there were more rounds available. I would like to see a 180-190 grain bullet for it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't think the .32 WS was a BP round. It was Introduced 1901/2 after the introduction of smokeless powders.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

According to a copy of a 1905 Winchester catalog that I have, they brought it out after the 30-30, with the intent of providing a rifle/cartridge that a customer could handload with black powder after firing factory ammo manufactured with the "new" smokeless powders. It seems that at the time (1905) Winchester considered smokeless powder to be something too dangerous for handloaders to use. They made a slightly bigger bore, and rifled the barrel with a slower twist to allow for less powder fouling. It kind of made sense after I read the writeup in the old Winnie catalog--provided that while reading you put yourself in the place of a rural hunter in 1905. But I'm a more modern type of guy. I've owned plenty of 30-30's, never a 32 Special--mostly because one that I liked never really crossed my path. Streetstar, I wouldn't turn one of the ones you mentioned if they are in good shape--these days they let you handload with smokeless. Lots of guys into bullet casting are fond of the 32 Sp as a deer round. I don't think you'd get by trying to hotrod that caliber though, because of the slow twist of the barrel.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

looks like i just bought one ---- will post up pics in a week or so when it gets here :lol:

link to auction ---- i know there are probably a ton of people out there that will tell me i got burned -- but oh well, you only live once

besides, i've never owned a 70 year old rifle before

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =211658673
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was at my Marlin collecting "peak" I had about a dozen Marlin's in 30-30 and only three in 32 Special !

And with that being said one would "assume" I liked the 30-30 more . And as you may well surmise that could not be further from the truth !

The 32 Special is one of my ALL TIME favourite lever action cartridges !

I've shot quite alot of cast bullets in both the 30-30 and 32 Special at metallic silhouettes and some at deer from both rounds .

I reality I arrived at the 32 Special and 30-30 late in life (mid 40's) . But had always been an advocate of the 32-40 . To me the 32 Special is more of a "modern" version of the 32-40 then a necked up 30-30 . In the practical sense the 32 Special is no better then the 30-30 , but then there are many other such arguments in the gun world like the 270 vs 06 , the 444 vs 45-70 etc etc etc .

If the 32 Special makes you feel beter great and the same for the 30-30 . If I were to have my pick between the 30-30 and 32 Special I'd take the 32 and never look back !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I'm more than happy with my two Winchester 94 .32 Win. Specials. The rifle is scary accurate and the other is the carbine I take to the woods each year. The carbine does all that I need and is plenty accurate within the ranges that I shoot.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't believe there is any practical difference between the 32 Spl and the 30-30 except that the 32 doesn't have the 150 gr option.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

jlchucker wrote:According to a copy of a 1905 Winchester catalog that I have, they brought it out after the 30-30, with the intent of providing a rifle/cartridge that a customer could handload with black powder after firing factory ammo manufactured with the "new" smokeless powders. It seems that at the time (1905) Winchester considered smokeless powder to be something too dangerous for handloaders to use. They made a slightly bigger bore, and rifled the barrel with a slower twist to allow for less powder fouling. It kind of made sense after I read the writeup in the old Winnie catalog--provided that while reading you put yourself in the place of a rural hunter in 1905. But I'm a more modern type of guy. I've owned plenty of 30-30's, never a 32 Special--mostly because one that I liked never really crossed my path. Streetstar, I wouldn't turn one of the ones you mentioned if they are in good shape--these days they let you handload with smokeless. Lots of guys into bullet casting are fond of the 32 Sp as a deer round. I don't think you'd get by trying to hotrod that caliber though, because of the slow twist of the barrel.
The reduced rifling rate will have an effect on bullet choice and accuracy.

Congratulations on that find! Let us know how it shoots.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Streestar, that's a nice-looking rifle you just acquired. Now, if you really want to be a happy camper with your "new" 32 special, you'll pick yourself up a bullet mold designed with that caliber in mind, and work up an accurate load. RCBS for one makes such a mold--you'll also need some gaschecks. Look over some website info about handloading 32 specials. There may be other molds besides that one. Before you're done, you'll be shooting that rifle a lot but you'll need to check out some info about loading for that caliber first. There's probably guys on this site that have experience with such loads. One good thing about cast bullets is that a lubed cast bullet is real easy on old rifle barrels. Another good thing is that a cast bullet with a big flat nose will kill game nowadays every bit as good as it did way back in the day. Let us know how you make out--even if you try some real blackpowder loads at some point. I would like to see a photo of you, holding that rifle beside a dead 10 point buck, killed with one of your cast bullets, posted on this site. Good luck!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I think that is a great looking gun, and I would say the price was right.
I used to have a 94 in 32ws, it was a rifle with half round half oct. barrel, ivery bead front sight, tang peep site, and tiger striped wood, but like so many othere dumb mistakes I let it go a long time ago, do I wish I had it back, well yes I do.
Good luck with that gun.
Terry
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:I don't believe there is any practical difference between the 32 Spl and the 30-30 except that the 32 doesn't have the 150 gr option.
I agree...

But there is just something way cool about the name
32 Winchester Special 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Agreed - always wanted one and had a chance to clean up an almost pristine one last week made in 1961 that a friend got from his dad.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you really like it, you didn't get "burned" 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice! Looking forward to range reports!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I recently bought my first one and just last week got the opportunity to shoot it.Very very accurate.You did good on that one.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Lucky dawg with a nice rifle!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have been shooting 32-40s for a few years and just picked up a Mod 64 in 32 WS, now to get some cases and dies.