OT elk hunting guides and prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

OT elk hunting guides and prices

Post by fordwannabe »

A very good friend of mine has been diagnosed with Cancer( he is doing well and not feeling sick but the Drs have told him it will be fatal). Keith has talked about going elk hunting as a Bucket list thing since I have known him(15 years), we have hunted pigs, bear, deer, caribou, small game, ect but we never got the chance to hunt Elk. 4 of us are looking to book a hunt for elk, and I am looking to you guys and gals for some input on where and with whom to book a hunt for the 2012 season. We don't care what state(but no fences), it can be either guided or semi guided, drop camp preffered, but who have yall used and did you have a good time. We all know hunting is not a guarateed thing but it would be nice if they had taken an elk or two in the last last season.
In addition what kind of money are we talking about, we know it is expensive but I have seen prices all over the map(the one thing all of us agrreed on is an upfront pricing, we went one place and then,we were told about all the "extra fees" and it got a little on the ugly side). I trust yall and if you can give a recommendation or two I would appreciate it.
Three of the four of us are going to the sportsman show in Harrisburgh the first week in Feb and if any of those you suggest are there we PlAN TO TALK TO THEM AND MAKE A DEPOSIT ON THE SPOT.Thanks, Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT elk hunting guides and prices

Post by Marc »

I am involved in booking a hunt in Montana, just north of Yellowstone Park right now. This is the outfitter:http://www.hellsaroarinoutfitters.com/hunting_home.php The hunts are for 6 hunters. We now have 4 and need two more to fill out the hunt. We had a lot of people interested until it came time to pay. We have some fence sitters who may go yet but they are running out of time. They may accommodate 4 more if we ask. Incidentally, the current outfitter, Warren Johnson, has recently recovered from cancer. Warren took over the back country concession from Frank Rigler last year so there isn't any mention of it on his website yet.

Their normal price is $5500 for a one week guided back country hunt. You pack in on horseback to a camp and then hunt out of camp. My partner hunted there several years ago and said that basically you can hunt as hard as your physical condition allows. Take it easy or hunt hard. They had good success last year. We may be able to get you a reduced rate because of the way this hunt is put together. I don't have dates yet but I think it will be the first week of November. If you are interested PM me for more info.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Marc, I thank you for the invite but as this will probably be the last hunt we all get to go on together I am looking for just us in camp. I do like that country though, I grew up in the Deer Lodge valley of MT. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I offer a 10 day, guaranteed tag bull elk hunt in Southeastern Colorado on 9900 acres of private property for $4200. That includes the lease fee and the guiding expenses. It does not include accomodations or food, but you are welcome to camp on the property, hook up a trailer or stay in town just 15 minutes away by highway. The opportunity has been 100% and the guides will work hard to get you good bulls. The limited access and management program produces plenty of big 350+ bulls. The hunt starts the first week of September, during the bugle (rut) season and you can use rifles!

On this hunt you may shoot a cow elk if you'd like instead of a bull if you are given the chance and want to take it.

I have other hunt in late season or under a draw-tag system if you are interested.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tom, given your friends condition, and the strenousness of a real elk hunt, I'ld offer this. Maybe instead of spending the money on an outfitted hunt, take a look at the left over cow/calf elk tags available after the draw here in Wyoming and do a doit yourself hunt. You could do it this year and maybe have a better chance of beating the cancer. If you're interested I'ld be happy to provide you with areas etc,in private messaging.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for the offers here and in the PMs. Keith is in better shape than the rest of us put together. He has been told he has 5 years, so we would really like to do it in 2012( gives the rest of us a chance to catch up to him, stamina wise). I will talk with the other 2 guys( Keith doesn't know about this yet) and get back to each of you. I thank you all for your offers and input. Tom
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

86'ers deal is quite attractive!
You will need to decide what type hunt you want, accomodations of a cabin, lodge tent etc, horse in or car accessable. The guides cook or do you, guided 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 or "semi-giuded" or just a drop camp or tresspass fee etc. All these make for a BIG defernce in the costs of a hunt.
Best of luck in your choices. After many years of hunting elk myself, and often successful, I am paying for a drop camp this year, horse back in 4-5 miles and the outfitter provides the tent and camp equipment, we proved the food. No guiding other than an overview of the land. They come ever second or third day to check on you and take your animal out. These drop camps run usually $15-1700 per person. It can be a good way to go if money is an issue and you can handle yourself in the woods.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ford, no matter what you end up doing I wish you and your bud all the best. Prayers said.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I do it every year for under $1500--and that includes airfare. We (my son and I) use a tent and hunt on BLM land in Colorado. We "want" for nothing and have tagged 3 elk in 8 years. Colorado has unlimited bull tags and many left over cow tags, depending on the unit you hunt in.

We have a blast, have no one to answer to, hunt when we want, eat as much as we can and fanny burp as often as needed. :D ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

SIXGUN, I knew I liked you! I think that may be option number two, we are going to look at the sportsman show and see about drop camps because we kinda want to do it ourselves but having somebody check on us every other day might be a good thing too!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote:SIXGUN, I knew I liked you! I think that may be option number two, we are going to look at the sportsman show and see about drop camps because we kinda want to do it ourselves but having somebody check on us every other day might be a good thing too!
Wannabe Ford dude,
You worry waaaaaaayyyy too much! I was born and raised in the woods and never could see to pay someone else what you can do yourself. :wink: Hey! Your from hicksville out in Lancaster County (or near it) and you have some experience in the woods. Get yourself a GPS, some maps, a back up compass and learn it all like your life depends on it (it will!!!) It no different than spending a week in the Pennsylvania woods but roads and water are a lot fewer and farther between.

What do you mean, "check up on us every other day"??? I have the notion to get in my Jeep and drive out there and give you the whoopin of your life. :D You don't need no one to check up on you. If you die, it will be your own fault. Just stay awake every night and keep the mountain lions and bears away from the tent. Fire a few warning shots every now and then.

Now, Get down and give me 20!!!----------- :D :D Sixgun :D :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

fordwannabe,
Look here:
http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... =1&t=31724

I can put you in touch with the outfitters.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I can't help with guides but if the cost of hunting is a concern, I would opt for more hunts on public land than 1 expensive hunt with a guide. Time around a good camp fire with friends on a fine evening is more valuable to me than taking an animal with a guide.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've got a late season migration hunt in central CO. The thing is, elk are strewn out all over the place as they migrate to different elevation. The shots can be long as you will run out of cover, sometimes at 250-300 yds. The landowner gets $2500 for access, any assistance you might need and will provide food/accomodations if you want them. Other than that, you can do-it-yourself on his property. You are paying for the access to the elk with a super-high success rate. The success rate on public land for bulls in CO, according to the State survey is 11% and 27% on cow elk. For private land, free range animals the stats jump to 32% on bulls and 58% on cow elk. This particular property has been able to brag a 100% success on cow elk and 70% success on bulls during this late season hunt. You must consider though, you won't be calling them, using a stand or blind or singling out a few animals. Once you get on the herd there will be hundreds of elk with the challenge being the sneak that gets you in range. Each person must consider their own motivating factors. How much time can you invest in getting an elk? How much money can you invest in getting an elk? How long can you spend on one trip? What are the chances you can do it again next year? Are you after a trophy, any bull or just an elk? I have guided many elk hunts and I've been elk hunting a number of times but this year was the first time I ever shot one. I wanted a bull but it had to be a wild animal in natural habitat, I wanted to try to call it in and do it one-on-one. It took me decades and thousands of dollars for a little 5X6 that scores 285. But to me, he is a true trophy! Think about all your motivating factors and weight them out before deciding what type of hunts you want to try. If I can help in any way I'd be happy to, just give me a ring. Best of luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks fellas. 86 er I will be getting in touch with you.