Why we wear boots in Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Why we wear boots in Texas

Post by ScottT »

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about poisonous snakes.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Wow...I didn't know Western Diamondbacks got that big!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Aww...Snakes in love...ain't nature a wonder?

I guess if you're gonna have a ranch, ya gotta have some kinda livestock.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Boots!?!?!?!?!?!? As tall as those two are you'd need armored hip waders.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Yikes! :shock:

Happy to say I haven't seen snakes like that anywhere besides the zoo.

Looks like you have a nice pair of snakeskin boots there. Too bad you screwed up the belt... :wink:
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

What kinda fish do ya'll ketch on them night crawlers :?: :P
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
THOSE ARE PRETTY BIG...
WE HAVE A TON OF SNAKES HERE IN FLORIDA
BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT
GREAT PICS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great pics, Scott! Certainly not an oft seen sight!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

boots?

Post by brucew44guns »

You best be 12 feet tall, and have the boots to go with that height!!. I killed one in Lake Village, Arkansas about 6 feet, looked like one of those.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

What Griff said.

I've seen that courtship ritual on the Discovery or Animal channel, but doubt many have seen it up close and personal in real life. I've had a couple of run ins with Buzz tails over the years. It always seems to happen when your mind is elsewhere.

For you guys with dogs, they make a K9 rattlesnake innoculation. You get one, and a month later you get another then annually. I've got my dog set up to get the vac during her normal annual shot cycle. If you dog gets bit, it still need treatment by a vet, but the reaction is supposed to be significantly less severe.

Paul
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

J Miller wrote:Boots!?!?!?!?!?!? As tall as those two are you'd need armored hip waders.

Joe
I'll second Joe's idea: Snake Waders! :o
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I had two large black rat snakes do the "love dance" behind me while I was trying to call up a turkey last spring. It sure made it hard to concentrate on my calling!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: boots?

Post by SmokeEater2 »

brucew44guns wrote:You best be 12 feet tall, and have the boots to go with that height!!. I killed one in Lake Village, Arkansas about 6 feet, looked like one of those.

The Game and Fish dept. Stock the dang things in the National Forest here. :shock:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Looks like their dancing days are done!
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Did you at least let them finish?
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

great pics thanks for sharing
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Are they courting or fighting? Don't snakes fight like that too? Rear up and knock each other to the ground? How can you tell the difference?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thank you so much for accepting my share of all that!! :shock:
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Blackhawk wrote:Are they courting or fighting? Don't snakes fight like that too? Rear up and knock each other to the ground? How can you tell the difference?

Johnny
I'm not sure I can! Of course, I dated a girl for a while and I never was sure about it then either!!!! :oops:
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

ScottT wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Are they courting or fighting? Don't snakes fight like that too? Rear up and knock each other to the ground? How can you tell the difference?

Johnny
I'm not sure I can! Of course, I dated a girl for a while and I never was sure about it then either!!!! :oops:
:lol:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Kilroy6644 wrote:Did you at least let them finish?
Bet Scott got 'em mid-cigarette! :wink:
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Hope you eat 'em. If not, thats a lot of good meat to go to waste. :D

I must confess, I usually do not shoot snakes, even poisonous ones, unless they are way too close to the house. But I also realize that for some that translates into, "If they are alive they are way, way too close- already!" :roll:

Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Snakes,even the poison ones are protected in Arkansas. That lil' law has made a criminal out of me a time or two. :oops:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

There's an old timer that lives in Washington State during the summer and winters somewhere in Texas. He brought out a frozen eight foot long rattler he killed in Texas. He says people don't believe there's rattlers that big down there and when they say that he proves them wrong. It's a big ball of snake to be sure.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote:
Kilroy6644 wrote:Did you at least let them finish?
Bet Scott got 'em mid-cigarette! :wink:
Tom
:D :D :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ive seen some good sized rattlers here on base and else where but none top that :shock: . So did they get grilled fried or stewed?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Nice pictures! Wow!

Rob
NRA
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Guys,

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why somebody would willingly eat a snake.

I have tasted it before, but I think there are a lot of things that are better to eat and less trouble to boot.

No, I don't care to eat snakes. :D
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Snakes,even the poison ones are protected in Arkansas. That lil' law has made a criminal out of me a time or two. :oops:
Do you have a source you would share?

Johnny

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I saw two water moccasins at the edge of a tank doing about the same thing at my lease. They were about the same size. We kill poisonous snakes anytime we see one on our lease. Like the owner says rattlers and moccasins kill as many cattle as predators. Sometimes they survive but sometimes they don't. With the price of cattle as high as it is, it is a big loss to a rancher. Also, if the animal is just crippled by the bite then the coyotes take it down easier. We lost a small bull that way. I wear snake boots during the warm weather in Texas myself, but snakes that big can hit much higher so you must be on yours "toes" at all times. Maybe 2 by 4s with foot pads would be better. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Paul 105,
Can you provide more info on the innoculation?
Need to get it for Snazzy before I move to the country.
She is a city girl
Sharptop
Levergunner

Post by Sharptop »

That is a mating ritual. When I was 13 I was squirrel hunting back in the woods behind my house in South Georgia in late August when I heard some thumping. Looked down in the woods and two 6 foot Timber rattlers were doing that and then falling back down. Called up to the house and my dad brought down a .410 and I killed both with one shot. A few feet away we found another one in the hollow of a tree. Talked to a Univ. of Georgia professor and he said it was a mating ritual, that the two were males and the separate one was the female. Those Timber rattles were the biggest we had heard of, the diamondbacks can get quite a bit bigger.

It was the strangest thing I have ever seen.

A side note on snake boots. We had our picture taken for the local paper and I had on a pair of tennis shoes with black socks and my dad had on his knee high snake boots. He caught a lot of grief from his pals.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

mescalero1 wrote:Paul 105,
Can you provide more info on the innoculation?
Need to get it for Snazzy before I move to the country.
She is a city girl
I think this is the stuff my vet uses - "Crotalus atrox toxoid". I remembered the "Crotalus", but not the rest. Your vet should know.

Here's a good article describing the product.

http://www.hvjournal.com/articles.php?i ... e_for_Dogs

The entire article is worth reading -- here are the final two paragraphs from the article.

"Above all, even if the bitten dog has been vaccinated, it should still be considered an emergency, and veterinary care should be sought.

The vaccine’s purpose is to lessen snakebite reactions so that the reactions would be less severe and have a higher percentage of survival and result in a decreased rate of illness in dogs that are bitten by rattlesnakes."

Paul
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

If I remember it was sometime in the early 1980's when the Arkansaw game people turned me into an outlaw.No rattle tails on this ridge but lots of copperheads.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Will I be running into these during Texas Levergun Safari? Should I bring some 357 birdshot loads for "Shorty"?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Blackhawk wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:Snakes,even the poison ones are protected in Arkansas. That lil' law has made a criminal out of me a time or two. :oops:

Johnny

Johnny, I looked through the Hunting Regs booklet and couldn't find it so I went to the local Game and Fish Office and asked.
They confirmed that it's against the law to kill snakes of any kind in AR UNLESS it's attacking you. :shock: They said it's illegal to kill any animal that does not have a hunting season open (like snakes,songbirds etc.) with fines from $500.00-$2000.00.
The Warden I talked to said his advice was to wait until there wasn't a Game Warden around before killing snakes. :wink:
ihmsa70
Levergunner

Post by ihmsa70 »

Them snakes are fornicating! Nasty buggers!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

GANJIRO wrote:Will I be running into these during Texas Levergun Safari? Should I bring some 357 birdshot loads for "Shorty"?
I wouldn't worry about it, Ji.

They probably won't be out in great numbers in February, but it never hurts to just be aware of your surroundings.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

FWiedner is right. The rattlers in February are hibernating in rock quarries mostly here in Texas, but if it gets unusually warm in month of February they don't pay attention to the date and they become active. I wear snake boots as soon as it warms up. I have had too many close calls to not do it. Even when it's cool I look around real good before I squat to go number 2! :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Johnny

Johnny, I looked through the Hunting Regs booklet and couldn't find it so I went to the local Game and Fish Office and asked.
They confirmed that it's against the law to kill snakes of any kind in AR UNLESS it's attacking you. :shock: They said it's illegal to kill any animal that does not have a hunting season open (like snakes,songbirds etc.) with fines from $500.00-$2000.00.
The Warden I talked to said his advice was to wait until there wasn't a Game Warden around before killing snakes. :wink:
SmokeEater2,

Thanks for sharing. I looked and couldn't find it either.

I guess I'll be an outlaw.

Johnny

nvstickbow
Levergunner

Post by nvstickbow »

Those would sure look gorgeous on the back of a couple of bows. nice perty ones.
RICHP

Rattlers

Post by RICHP »

The second week in March they will be killing and eating them by the hundreds in Sweetwater, at the worlds largest rattlesnake roundup in the world.