OT- S&W 624 acquisition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

OT- S&W 624 acquisition

Post by pwl44m »

Picked up My Smith yesterday after My sentence was up. Traded for this at the Colusa Gun Show on the 16th. I gave a Win 63 that shot but sometimes too good if U know what I mean. It was a little rough but still a pretty good example of a 63. It was something that I did a little work for and would never shoot it. I had to give $150 boot. So all in all I have about $300 in the S&W which BTW is in 44 s&w special with a 6 1/2 in barrel. It came with the original Box /paper work and cleaning kit.
Fired a few rounds this morning to see How it compared to My Colt SAA.Bigger grips were a lot easier to hold on to but the trigger gaurd sure pounded My middle finger knuckle.With a little practice I think It would shoot pretty good.
Couple pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- S&W 624 acquisition

Post by Jeff H »

Beautiful gun and an excellent price. The 'Special is my favorite.
I bought a 4" 624 new in the late eighties for $275 right after they were discontinued.
I love the Smith N-frames and have fallen for a few over the years but always realize that it just doesn't "fit" me.
Mine shot well and, like any other 'Special I have loaded for, seemed to shoot well regardless of the load.
It has never been much of a challenge to load for - a handy feature when you are low on your favorite powder or projectile.
Just find some data for the components you have and load them up. While I have my own favorite powders and projectiles. the 'Special just doesn't seem to play favorites itself.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

very nice smith and you stole it at that price.I had a 4" and a 5" 629 and like a dummy I sold the 44 special.the old skeeter load with unique was a very accurate load in mine.

pete
DAV life member.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You did good pilgrim. Love those S&W N frames. The last one I had was just like yours but only a 629. Should never of gotten rid of it.
Old Law Dawg
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have a 4" 624 that I bought a couple years back. Pretty nice pistol and shoots very well. I'm a single action guy but I have to admit this is the most shot DA that I own. The previous owner had a trigger job done on it that has to be felt to believed. 100% reliable and is so smooth through double action that I rarely shoot it single action.

But sometimes I kinda wisht she was a 6" version.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great gun, I had one in 4" and traded it to a friend of mine. The 6 1/2' is better all around in my view for shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Ah the 624! Once had a Lew Horton 3” that I ‘nevva shoulda’ traded off.

A few years ago, there was another thread on the S&W Forum about the M624 recall. I can’t recall the exact date of thread, but it was awhile back -- 6-7 years ago??

Seems as if there was a bad batch of metal for the cylinders which caused cracks. The poster, who had a recalled revolver, advised M624 owners to call and S&W and inquire if their revolver was in the serial number range.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great deal!
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And I bet the back 40 (if I had a "back 40") that it will be a fine shooter. I bought one when they first came out and tolerences are on the money. It loves the standard Keith, sized .430 and anything that will push it 800-1100. I have maybe 3K out of mine.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I have the same gun in a 5.5 in" blued model (same box, same grips)... I love it - smooth as butter.

Chad
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I just took it by to show it to a Friend and what does He pull out ? A 460 S&W 4 inch. That thing is a Cannon and Heavvvy.The way it is Ported doesn't look like it would help with recoil.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif