OT, Apples to Oranges comparison

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

OT, Apples to Oranges comparison

Post by mikld »

OK I'm sitting here bored and tired (radiation treatments kinda make me tired, and my beard is falling out onto my keyboard) and looking at a few forums and I got to wondering. I have 2 double actions, 1 single action, 1 single shot, and one levergun in .44 Mag. I only have one .357 Mag., double action, even though I've meant to get another for several years. I reload so I can have variety and enjoy shooting Special level loads in my double action .44s and med. to heavy loads in my Ruger SBH. An S&W in .44 Special or a Ruger Flattop in .44 Special are on my bucket list too. Well, I just got to thinkin' (I know that could be trouble) and in my mind considered a .357 instead of another .44 and was comparing them, not manufacturers, but the cartridges themselves. Ammo isn't a prob (I've got about 1K 38 brass, 3-4 hundred .357 brass, 500 or so .44 Special, and about 1,000 .44 Mag. brass. I've got molds for both calibers and several hundred pounds of wheel weight lead). So, mebbe to stir up an exciting thread how would you compare a .357 Magmun to a .44 magnum? I know these are two completely different cartridges, and I'm not thinking a WTSHTF scenerio, just an all around shootin' gun...

EDIT 1/30
BTW in some of my other posts I've mentioned surgery, doctors, and radiation treatments. Yep, I got cancer, but cancer ain't got me! Prolly from being rode hard and put away yet. Before I "grew up", I lived hard and fought hard, but cancer ain't got a chance with me (being of Texan and Okie heritage with some Cherokee sprinkled in there somewhere). All this is just a temporary "pause" in my life 'cause I got too many things to do yet (I got my eye on a Win. '94 made in 1953 at the local pawn shop). So, when I mention those things (medical stuff) it is just in passing, 'cause Jesus is my Anchor and is holding fast through this minor squall...
Last edited by mikld on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT, Apples to Oranges comparison

Post by J Miller »

If the caliber doesn't start with a 4, I'm not sure what it's good for.

Oh, right, my wife likes the .357. Yeah, that's it.

On the serious side, there's nothing wrong with the .357 Mag. Unless your trying to take down a rhino it will do anything a reasonable person would want to do with a handgun.
But, if I wanted to purchase another revolver and I already had .357s ( I do ) or 44s ( not yet but I got .45s ) I'd buy the .44 Special. It's in the same category as the 45 Colt, if you want good usable ammo, you gotta load it yourself. But it will do anything a sane person wants to, or should do, with a hand gun. And it does it with class and panache.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry to hear about the radiation treatments, I hope all is going well. As for the 44 Mag vs 357 Mag, I've never owned a 44 Mag but I have a soft spot for the 357. I always figured it would do most anything I need of it here in Texas, both domestic and wild.
Ricky

DWWC
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

One could do far worse than the 41mag. Not overly more recoil than the .357s, 90% of the ability of the 44mag (which is really a .429 anyway), and a lot of class to boot.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was going to say how I've migrated from the .357 Mag (and .38 Specials) that I used in my first revolver, a Ruger Security Six, to the .40-somethings. I can get more power with less blast, and so forth and so on... But, I realized that I continue to get them all as whatever excites me at the moment is what I get.

In practical terms, I guess if it works for you it is fine and if it doesn't get something else. Our hearing, hands and sensitivities are different and so will be our preferences. I really like the .45 Colt. Don't ask me why... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

44 Mag and 357 Mag are my favorite revolver rounds, maybe because they both like the same powder for hot loads. Some years ago I got this great deal on something called "H108" which, as you might suspect, is just a tad faster than H110. And it is mighty fine in both those cartridges and so maybe influenced my "favorite" bias. I don't yet have levers in those, but Rossi is calling me pretty loud. I'm going with another .357 first (maybe because a .454 Rossi is presently filling the space that a 44 mag would occupy).

357 uses about 60% of the powder, a bullet about 60% of the weight, and gives about 60% of the recoil of the 44 while producing essentially the same bullet trajectory. So same lead on running bunnies, etc. Sometimes the recoil is what you want, sometimes not. Nice to have the option.

Anyway, I think both cartridges are wonderful and totally flexible and do anything you'd ever want from a revolver or short rifle. Ain't it great?

And good luck with the radiation. I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a week or 10 day bikin' trek to Death Valley area with a best buddy, so we can get in a little play before he has to start on his radiation. He's heard that he isn't going to feel like being very active while the radiation is going on.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Sorry to hear about the treatments. They must be hard on your train of thought cause you never did say anything about apple or oranges yet. Me personally, I lean towards apples. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Since you have no specific chores for it, it is purely what moves you more.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

If it were one of those "if you could only have one gun and it had to be one of these" type of things I'd go with .44 mag.

If I wanted a range toy and occasional hunter I'd go with .357. .357 out of a lever gun is a fun little round.

If it were for zombies and could only have one of the two I'd say .357 again, although .22 mag is still my top choice for zombies.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear about your condition and the radiation. Pray everything goes okay. If I was only able to get one I'd got for the 44, but if that wasn't a problem then I'd get both. 44 for the bigger stuff and 357 for the other stuff.
Old Law Dawg
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well, first off I hope your radiation treatment is successful.

I'd probably go with the 44 Special - but I'd like it in a
double-action revolver. One of those nickel-plated S&W
"Heritage" or whatever they call 'em with a 4" tube would
be fine.

A 41 Mag with adjutable sights and a 4" barrel would be awfully
nice, too.

Or another 357 with a 6" tube.

But right now, today, I'd like one in 44 Special. Terrific cartridge,
fine for plinkin', self-defense, and small game. I'd even use it on
deer if it was all that I had.

-Stretch
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like oranges in the morning, and then bananas as the day progresses.

I usually finish the day with an apple.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OOPS! my fo-paw
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

stretch wrote:Well, first off I hope your radiation treatment is successful.

I'd probably go with the 44 Special - but I'd like it in a
double-action revolver. One of those nickel-plated S&W
"Heritage" or whatever they call 'em with a 4" tube would
be fine.

A 41 Mag with adjutable sights and a 4" barrel would be awfully
nice, too.

Or another 357 with a 6" tube.

But right now, today, I'd like one in 44 Special. Terrific cartridge,
fine for plinkin', self-defense, and small game. I'd even use it on
deer if it was all that I had.Ya split the diff get a .41 Really it is much closer to the .44 but hay just buy a .41 Marlin and a nice S&W57? :D

-Stretch
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Get a blender and FRESH, they gotta be fresh carrots. Stay away from sugar, tobacco and :cry: Alcohol. Keep fighting.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Can't compare the magnums for you, but am thankful you're in God's hands through this squall you mentioned. God Bless!