OT Is reloading worth it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT Is reloading worth it?

Post by Gobblerforge »

I just got a new Midway catalog and was cruising the pages in the reloading and amunition.
So just to make myself feel good and reasured that it is cool that I reload I did a little cost comparison for my 38WCF. I started by jotting down the cost of the rounds available and then all the components that are available. I found that cartridges for this round run from about $.75 to $1.40 a shot, new. Now this isn't including shipping and taxes, just a close cost of the cartridge. Then I totaled the components and found the highest cost to be about 23.5 cents per shot. Again, this doesn't include the shipping and taxes or the reloading equipment. Then I took my situation where I already have brass and lead that I cast and the cost came to less than 9 cents per shot. Man that's a lot of savings. And it's also nice to know that buying volume of anything can also reduce the final cost per shot.
So I guess my point is that if you shoot any real amount and wonder if reloading can be worth it, I say YES. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Hobie

Re: OT Is reloading worth it?

Post by Hobie »

Gobblerforge wrote:...if reloading can be worth it, I say YES.
You could not convince me otherwise. I've been reloading since, umm... 1971.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I absolutely agree....the last time i went to bass pro, 38-40 JHP were $70/box :shock:
except sometimes i figure time into it....but only with 12ga & 20ga reloading...
when shot is 30, 40 to 50 buck a bag....its not worth it...
28 and 410....its well worth it....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I recently priced some local Winchester 38-40 and it was just shy of $70 a box of 50. I can't find it anywhere here but in one store. And, they only had one box. Just the convenience of being able to reload for that caliber is worth it. I haven't done a cost comparison, but I speculate it will be pennies compared to dollars to reload versus buying new.
Old Law Dawg
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Hobie wrote:

Absolutely worth it. Besides saving money over factory ammo, the reloading process itself is fun and, for me, a stress reliever. I have been handloading since 1977.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

kimwcook wrote:I recently priced some local Winchester 38-40 and it was just shy of $70 a box of 50. I can't find it anywhere here but in one store. And, they only had one box. Just the convenience of being able to reload for that caliber is worth it. I haven't done a cost comparison, but I speculate it will be pennies compared to dollars to reload versus buying new.

A couple of years ago, I started loading for 32ACP because, when I went to buy a box of 50 just to try out my newly aquired pistol, it was priced the SAME AS the box of 44 Magnums on the next shelf.

I don't know what it costs me to load 50 32ACPs but if it is over $4 or $5, I would be really surprised.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Oh, I think it's definitely worth it from a cost standpoint.
It's also more convenient to have the stuff to hand when
ya run low.

I just like doing it - and I also like the results. It's very
satisfying to shoot a nice group with ammuntion that one
made oneself. Of course, those batches that don't turn out
so well can sometimes be a wee bit frustrating........ (nah,
that NEVER happens........ :wink: )

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

After about 100 rounds or so, the cost of the dies has been covered, and from there it sort of stabilizes at the costs already mentioned above. I also like the fact that I can make loads which each firearm likes best. I find that most factory ammo is loaded to as much pressure/speed as the firearm's SAAMI specifications show to be maximum. Several of my firearms are more accurate when I slow it down a little. With reloading I can make these adjustments, so that is also part of the savings as I can wait for a sale and buy what each firearm likes in enough quantity to make it even more cost effective.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot. 50rds of 9mm every month or so won't ever make sense to reload but if you shoot enough common or some uncommon calibers, you'll find that you can save at least 2/3 of the cost of store bought ammo. For unusual calibers, you can save even more.

I've reloaded over 135,000rds of 30carb, 38spl, 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm, and .223 in the last 10 years. None of these are uncommon but some, like the 10mm, can be expensive. By reloading instead of buying commercial, I have saved a significant amount of money (thousands of dollars) over the cost of my reloading equipment and the firearms I shoot them in.

Like many, I started reloading to save money but discovered that it's a great hobby in itself. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I reload to shoot or I shoot to reload!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hobie wrote:
What Hobie said. With out a doubt,it's worth it in more way's than just the savings. I've been reloading since a senior in HS,1960..................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot. 50rds of 9mm every month or so won't ever make sense to reload but if you shoot enough common or some uncommon calibers, you'll find that you can save at least 2/3 of the cost of store bought ammo. For unusual calibers, you can save even more.

I've reloaded over 135,000rds of 30carb, 38spl, 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, 10mm, and .223 in the last 10 years and reloading has saved me a significant amount of money valued in the thousands of dollars over the cost of my reloading equipment and the firearms I shoot them in.

Like many, I started reloading to save money but discovered that it's a great hobby in itself. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I reload to shoot or I shoot to reload!!
Steve
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

For me, the most important reason to cast and reload is the indepence it gives me. When the Obama effect hit, the only affect it had on me was it allowed me to sell off some of my excess components. If the shortages/price increases during that time had turned out to be permant it wouldn't have affected me at all.

That we also save money, can shoot the exact bullet we prefer, more accurate loads, all these are secondary for me. But they're nice, none the less!

Cat
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

It is worth it but don't forget to factor in the cost of the pretzels you have to eat to get the containers for all your brass.

I got into it fairly cheap, I got the birthday discount at Midway and went for good-but-cheap stuff for the most part. I think I spent around $400.00.

That has already been recovered, as that was almost the price of one case of .357 ammo, and I've since shot way more than that. But the main point is the one made by piller, you have to craft your ammo to the gun and the situation for the best results.

What made me go ahead and do it was the looming condor situation, I wanted to make copper rounds for a gun that didn't have factory ammo available for it. But where I've really benefited is having ammo loaded down for general shooting. That's very pleasant.

I'm not crazy about the chore, however, I have other things to do than load. But if you want the tailored ammo, you have to do it yourself.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot.
+1

If all you buy each year is a Box of shells for Deer Hunting it may not be worth it as the initial cost to get started is expensive. On the other hand if you are an Addict like most of us not only do you save money, but the Hobby itself is as fun as the Hunting season itself. I take a whole weeks vacation every year in Mid to late March to just work on Load development, and shoot my Rifles. I am all set for Hunting Season well before Summer even hits. I have 60 acres in the thick woods with a Rustic Cabin, and a 12 x 12 Reloading room with my own Rifle range shed 20 Feet from the Cabins front door! I am all set for the snow to melt! I really look forward to that week every year.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Definitely makes sense from a budgetary perspective, and it's also a great hobby in and of itself, but a third compelling reason to reload is to enable a person to shoot oddball calibres. I load for the 45-75 Winchester, 45-120 Sharps, and 577/450 Martini Henry rounds. The only realistic way to do any real shooting with any of these is to reload. There's just a certain charm in making a 130 year old rifle talk again.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

El Chivo wrote:It is worth it but don't forget to factor in the cost of the pretzels you have to eat to get the containers for all your brass.
I included the pretzels in my calculations above, however, not the effort to shed the extra pounds they generated! :lol:
Steve
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

so can honestly say that it is most certainly the only way to go. I get the dealer discount which saves a few pennies and always buy in volume. Don't accept a backorder on a single item, though. The shipping can be more that the item costs. If something is expected to be backordered I put it on my "wish list" and have it shipped with my next volume order. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Bigahh wrote:
Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot.
+1

I have 60 acres in the thick woods with a Rustic Cabin, and a 12 x 12 Reloading room with my own Rifle range shed 20 Feet from the Cabins front door! I am all set for the snow to melt! I really look forward to that week every year.
Man this year I can't wait for the snow to melt to do some load development. Have a can of the new Lever powder I want to run through it's paces. Spring is my load development time also.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

Catshooter wrote:For me, the most important reason to cast and reload is the indepence it gives me. When the Obama effect hit, the only affect it had on me was it allowed me to sell off some of my excess components. If the shortages/price increases during that time had turned out to be permant it wouldn't have affected me at all.

That we also save money, can shoot the exact bullet we prefer, more accurate loads, all these are secondary for me. But they're nice, none the less!

Cat
+1. i never would allow myself to be a slave to that shortage nonsence. i have bricks of primers my Pop bought from the '70's and '80's that we're both still using. i stocked up with a lifetime supply of odd ball brass (Bee, Krag, 348 etc.) 15 years ago. when Hornady 405wcf brass became available i bought 500 cases. i have picked up wheel weights and pure lead back when people gave it away and now have all i'll ever need. i always take it for granted thinking that everyone reloads. i am always surprised when i meet someone who is really into firearms and dosen't reload.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

Even the lowly 9mm has gotten cheaper to reload than to buy factory made, not long ago that wasn't the case. Get into the Larger and/or less common calibers and it's an even better deal.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i shoot about 500 rounds a week of 44-40 and 357 and reload and it is well worth it.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

You won't obviously spare a single penny, as you will realise how fun and interesting reloading in itself is. The money you spare on the cost of the single cartridge will blow away with the gunsmoke at the range, when you start testing several loads. :)

More seriously: Ten years ago I started reloading when I got a fine rifle in an obsolete calibre. Since then I have never bought a single box of rifle ammo. For the cost of two boxes of rifle cartridges, I get 100 fine Sierra bullets, 100 primers and a canister of powder.

But the main reason for reloading isn't economy. Most important is the possibility to made your own ammo by your own taste and choice.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

COSteve wrote:Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot. 50rds of 9mm every month or so won't ever make sense to reload but if you shoot enough common or some uncommon calibers, you'll find that you can save at least 2/3 of the cost of store bought ammo. For unusual calibers, you can save even more....
COSteve wrote:Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot. 50rds of 9mm every month or so won't ever make sense to reload but if you shoot enough common or some uncommon calibers, you'll find that you can save at least 2/3 of the cost of store bought ammo. For unusual calibers, you can save even more....
Steve, do you have a twin? Or are you starting to repeat yourself? :lol:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Don't forget to divide the cost of brass by the number of times it can be reloaded!

With mild target or plinking loads, that can be quite a number of times...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Another strategy is to reload what you shoot for fun, and buy factory for your hunting ammo. I'm doing that with my .243, I'll shoot a few rounds a year to check the sighting and then one for a deer (or not). This way my two boxes will last 5 years or so.

For my other rifles, I made up hunting loads which I'll save for that purpose. I'll probably never run out of those, either. But I'll load ammo for silhouette and target shooting.

That means I won't have to stock several powders and bullets, just the ones for medium velocity use.

Personally I don't enjoy load development, just glad when it's done.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Bigahh wrote:
I have 60 acres in the thick woods with a Rustic Cabin, and a 12 x 12 Reloading room with my own Rifle range shed 20 Feet from the Cabins front door! I am all set for the snow to melt! I really look forward to that week every year.
I hear you loud and clear. My front door and shooting bench are under the same roof.
I had to dig back a little to find a picture of the front porch. As you can see, they call me Gobbler.
Click Click Boom
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Just skimmed thru a Grafs catalogue ammo section and the info is a bit mind boggleing. Some of the really exotic calibers such as the 505 Gibbs can set you back more than $25 per bang. Some of the more current large game rounds can cost more than $5 apiece. Just some of the current magnum, premium bullets rounds go at $4-5 a pop. If I owned one of the monster type Id have to shoot it but not in factory form, alot of the $4 ammo can be loaded to identical specs for under a dollar. Thats more my budget. I try not to spoil my firearms with any of that prerolled stuf, excepting rimfire and shotgun. I may have pent a fortune over the years but its a smaller fortune than if Id used factory ammo and the number of rounds is probably 3-10 time as great. Yes it pays if you can afford the pretzels or the chips.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

On www.handloads.com there is a reloading cost calculator. If you have empty brass, the price to reload can be less than 1/2.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I started reloading when I was 16 years old, for the .44 Magnum cartridge. Back then I was making $2.75/hour. If I wanted to shoot anything other than .22's, I needed to reload. It developed into a hobby in and of itself, as I find it very relaxing. Of course there is the aspect of being able to tailor your ammunition. And now, between the .45-60 WCF and the .45-120 Sharps, where one's choices are custom reloaded ammunition or antique stuff (very expensive), reloading is a must.

Yep, it's worth it! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While going to the store (take your pick), and finding what you want might be possible in certain cases... finding everything you need in order to feed your shooting hobby might just be impossible, or truly expensive. (And just a few years ago these would have been on the impossible list)!

Why nowadays you can find some truly esoteric cartridges thru mail-order houses: .40-90 Sharps Bottle Neck, at Your Price: $82.00 / Box of 20 (hint: that's $4.10 per round)! :twisted: :shock:
Who wants to step up and buy enough of those puppies to shoot a round of BPCR Silhouette? (40 rounds + sighters)

But far more than monetary savings, is the amount of self-satisfaction that I get from making my own quality ammo. Since 1973.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

2 statements have been made here that I'd like to address. First one being "reloading is fun". I personally find reloading a drag and a necessary evil. Handloading being a different matter though. Reloading to me is sitting down and pumping out ammo. Handloading for me is working up loads and testing accuracy and all the little things that go into load development. After a load is worked up for a gun though handloading turns to reloading and well, it sucks for me.

The next statement is "it depends on how much I you shoot". A vary true statement but how much do you have to shoot to make reloading pay? The number is lower than many think. Now obviously I don't reload deer slugs. I shoot between 10 and 25 rounds a year outta a slug gun and I don't know how the cost would stack up anyway. But anything more than that and reloading saves money so it doesn't take 50 rounds a week or 50 rounds a month or 1000 rounds a year to save money. When I bought my first centerfire rifle, a Savage .22-250, I also bought 40 rounds of cheap PMC ammo, a Lee hand prime, 1000 primers, 200 bullets, a pound of H380 powder, a Lee scale, dies, a cheap Lee press and a few other odds and ends I'm sure I might be forgetting. I don't remember the exact numbers but IIRC I think I recovered my money in a couple hundred rounds with powder, brass and primers left over. It may of taken me a year to recoup my cost but I did recoup and now everything is gravy. And the results were sub MOA ammo. Maybe it doesn't apply to 9mm and plnikin ammo but at 200 rounds a year of any rifle ammo and many handgun cartridges reloading pays for itself dang quick.

Like I said, I find reloading a drag, but there is a great satisfaction of using ammo that you load. Whether it be at the range or in the field.

LK
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Great catch! :lol:

I guess after midnight I was getting punchy. But hey, at least I was consistent!

Actually, I went back to edit my original response but like a dumby I hit 'reply' instead of 'edit' and so I got a second post. I guess I should have left well enough alone and went to bed instead. :oops:
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:
Great catch! :lol:
I guess after midnight I was getting punchy. But hey, at least I was consistent!
Actually, I went back to edit my original response but like a dumby I hit 'reply' instead of 'edit' and so I got a second post. I guess I should have left well enough alone and went to bed instead. :oops:
I saw that, but didn't look at the time each was posted... just thought: "what're the odds that someone could get their post in-between a double click posting?" :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

COSteve wrote:Depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot.
+3 or 4. A huge added benefit to me is not just cheap cartridges, but I shoot much, much more than if I did not reload. That has got to count for a lot. I also cast my own boolits out of used wheel weights, which makes reloading even cheaper.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Hobie wrote:
71! dam your old! :lol: I was born in 68 and helped more like slave labour my big brother reload ammo in the mid to late 70s I was just a wee lad. Now I know why I shy away from the 22/250 and .308 and .270. :D
I have had a realy hard time with the loss of my big brother but I have some 3031 I found in his house with the price tag at $4.99.
Cast your own bullets means you only pay for the powder and primers too. And I can load even Nozler partions for less cost than Factory ammo.
Example a box of Fed with a 180gr part goes for about $54.00cdn I can reload it for about $26.00 -$32.00 a box of 20 for the .300 win.
Five years ago it was much cheaper to reload but still it is almost half the price!
Now with a .308 or 30/30 I save even more and not to mention I shoot odd ball call's 7x57,280 ,284,.358, 375, savings from reloading are great plus, I shoot thousands of rounds a year.
Now if you leave the old 30/30 in the closet until big game season and shoot it once a year then factory ammo is a good way to go!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I've reloaded for years and am still doing it but it's not nearly the fun it used to be. That, and I'm strung-out on about a half a dozen interests without enough time for any. Plus I'm 70 and get more and more careful about how I spend my time. Regarding this last remark it's better to be more careful about how you use your time at ANY age. One has to remember that about everything can be replaced except the time you've used up. When it's gone, it's gone forever!

My reloading days may be over and I have a lot of ammo loaded-up for all my guns. Still, I can't see myself selling my many sets of dies any time soon--just in case, ya know. :D

Don McCullough
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

with the recent surge in price of metals, it makes sense to re-use your brass. That may not have been a big factor even five years ago, but it is now. Even if primers and powder go back down, the prices of lead and brass will make reloading a bargain.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I do not get to shoot as much as i like ---- i would say at this point in my life, its a toss up--- however, my reloading equipment is an investment in my future.

I hope there will be a time sometime soon that i can learn how to reload nice ammo for a few of my rifles, but all my reloading efforts to date have been centered on feeding a hungry AR --- not precision ammo by any means. My 1911's are pretty darn hungry too, but i got a nice deal on 2 cases of training ammo a while back and am just now seeing the bottom of it.

Given my usage, and the time i have to devote to reloading, i really need to put the rockchucker in a box and invest in a Dillon 650,

A good friend of mine, and my brother as well, have no use for reloading at all. The friend's favorite cartridge is 7mm Rem Mag, and between sight in and tree stand hunting for deer, he may shoot 2 boxes a year.

My brother thankfully is a levergun man, but his usage is probably 2 boxes every 4 years :lol:
----- Doug
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I started reloading in 1979 at the age of 14. I was hired by a local gunsmith to reload for his shop(try that today, a 14 year old reloading ammo for others). I have been at it ever since and can't understand why my kid hates it so much. For me it is relaxing and something to do as the TV is running. I have thousands of rounds of loaded ammo in my shed and gun room that I crafted with my own two hands and each is tailored for a specific firearm and labled on the ammo crate as such. I have 4 loads in 44 mag alone everything from 180grain JHP gettin it done loads to 315grain cast going bu whacks like a ball bat loads.I just cant afford to do this if everything was factory, plus I'd miss out on my other Hobby "brass hore" I can get my fat but in lotsa skinny tight places for good used brass. Is it worth it to reload?yep! Did I ever save money? NOPE BUT I GOT TO SHOOT A WHOLE LOT FOR THE SAME MONEY. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

For all of the reasons listed and on all kinds of levels YES!

I've been at it for over 20 years now myself. Watched my Dad use Lee Loaders as a kid - that's what made me look into it when I was older and started deer hunting.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!