A Quote To Ponder…

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

A Quote To Ponder…

Post by cshold »

“Rifles are bought with the mind. They are tools to be employed.
Shotguns are bought with the heart. The best are works of art that
come alive in the right hands and have a living soul.”
Last edited by cshold on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: A Quote To Ponder…

Post by Kansas Ed »

That is something to ponder....at first I was going to take a different stance, but after thinking, I understand what the OP was feeling. Shotguns when fit right, tend to become an extension of ones self in mind and body. But other firearms (except for Mundens SAA of course) are more prone to be just utilized and never become the extension of body that shotguns do.

Ed
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think of shotguns and shotgunning in the Clint Eastwood light as portrayed in the movie "Unforgiven".

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I would tend to disagree. I would imagine for anyone reading the posts here that most if not all guns are bought from the heart and some of them be they rifles, shotguns, or handguns become like an extension of ones self. As an example I would offer the man who skillfully still hunts for deer, elk etc. and is capable of successful "snap" shots at running game. Try telling him his rifle is not a part of him. Not to take anything away from a good wing-shot and his graceful SxS, I just think the quote falls short of the mark and would be accurate if it encompassed accomplished shooters and graceful weapons of all shooting disciplines.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

I have a Colt SAA and 39M I sure think a lot of
:)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What do you think of those RST shells? My 20 has 2 1/2" chambers and 16 2 9/16", neither of which can no longer be found off the shelf.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Depends on who you are I suppose.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike D. wrote:What do you think of those RST shells? My 20 has 2 1/2" chambers and 16 2 9/16", neither of which can no longer be found off the shelf.
Mike,
I just got the flat of shells yesterday, as soon as the snow melts off the trap range I want to get out and do some pattern testing.
I will say this; I’m very impressed with RST customer service and the quality of these paper shells. ( American Made 8) )
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Depends on who you are I suppose.
I agree with you OS,
Also what you'r into at the present moment in time :wink:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That was spoken by a shotgunner, not a rifleman. The two are separate types of being, to say the least. The quote could easily be inverted and I take the liberty to expand it a bit as well:
“Shotguns are bought with the mind. They are tools to be employed, a means of filling the pot or defending the hearth.

Rifles are bought with the heart. The best are works of art that come alive in the right hands and have a living soul.”
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

PLEASE Note the Smily:

:D :D :D

What's the difference between a rifleman and a shotgunner??

Anyone can hit stuff with a shotgun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mike D. wrote:What do you think of those RST shells? My 20 has 2 1/2" chambers and 16 2 9/16", neither of which can no longer be found off the shelf.
FWIW, I have shot a bunch of Polywad Vintager 2-1/2" 16s and like them a lot...

Haven't tried the RSTs.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:PLEASE Note the Smily:

:D :D :D

What's the difference between a rifleman and a shotgunner??

Anyone can hit stuff with a shotgun.
Well I for one have done my share of missing with shotguns over the years :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike D, Lewis Drake associates offers ammo for your 20 and 16 off the shelf. :http://www.drake.net/products/2/Holland ... Holland%20
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Casastahle:

Old Savage wrote:
Depends on who you are I suppose.

I agree with you OS,
Also what you'r into at the present moment in time

I also agree that any of them can have magic - rifle, pistol, shotgun, muzzleloader - you name it. A friend has a Parker SxS, Model 12 and a Stevens 311 in 16 gauge - of all of them I would like to have the Stevens as it is like the first gun I bought but that was a twelve.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

How does the pistol grip work out with the double triggers? I've always read/heard that straight English stocks are best suited for double triggers. What's your experience been?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Pistol grips work fine with double triggers, however I am a fan of straight grips for quick work, on upland game.

I share the OP's view of a fine side by side, they are my favorite shotguns, but I want my rifles to fit the same way, which is why I will often shorten a rifle stock, and fuss with scope locations, sights, recoil pads, etc.

I want most of my rifles to come to the shoulder like a fine shotgun, but then again, I grew up shooting at running deer with a rifle, instead of watching them prance around a game feeder for 10 minutes before taking the shot.

Hunting whitetails in the brush, running accross fields, etc, I figure, over a lifetime, most of my kills were, on average, made in the first 15 to 30 seconds after first sight. That don't leave much time for anything more then raising your rifle and getting a sight picture and touching it off.
NRA Life Member, Patron