Sending my winny to JES today!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Sending my winny to JES today!!!

Post by fordwannabe »

I have a 1966 model 94 that has a numerich arms 26 inch octagon barrel in 30-30 and I have her all boxed and ready to go to Jesse at JES reboring. I am stoked I have been trying to get this done for a few months and everytime I thought I had a few bucks saved, something would come up. For my birthday my wife put a handfull of twenties in a card and said to send it off, YEHAW! So in about two weeks I will have a 38-55 repeater. I previously had a H&R single in 38-55 but I think I am more of a repeater guy than a single shot guy. Can't wait to get it back and Thank you to HOBIE for the recommendation of Jesse, he seems a real fine guy to do business with.
I also used a little more BDAY money to order a crescent buttplate and cresent stock to add a little to the "older than she really is" look. Tom
(it's not in the mail to go out yet and I can't wait to get it back)
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Sending my winny to JES today!!!

Post by J Miller »

Remember, we want before and after and range report pics. Preferably open range with you posing with the rifle over a dead critter.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It's always nice to get something done you've been waiting a while for. Happy Birthday! Pics. Yes, we want pics.
Old Law Dawg
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Joe remember my pics of a dead critter with my original 1886? I did goood on that and will try to do as well on this one.
My main problem with pics of rifles is that I AM HORRIBLE at taking pictures, but I'll try. I didn't like the new look on the barrel and "worked it a little" I have a couple of hundred year old rifles and used them as guides to help me "Work" this. I was trying to find sixgun at the last local gunshow and ask him for the "trick" to make my gun look "authentic hundred year old gun" but couldn't find him. Rube and I are doing pretty much the same project but going about it a little differently. He bought a numerich barrel in 38-55 and is having it installed on his action. I was going to do the same thing but found this on another forum(yes I occassionaly cheat on yall) with the 30-30 barrel already on it soooo of fto JES it goes and we will get to the same point from different angles. I assure you mine will shoot better than Rube's too...I'm casting his bullets and if his shoots better than mine I'm only gonna send him crooked one's :wink: Tom
Did I mention I am stoked?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Good stuff. Keep us posted as to turn around time etc.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Good to hear you are finally getting it sent off for the rebore. Look forward to seeing how everything turns out. I know how long you have been wanting to do that.

Now at least I wont have to beat my head against the wall if my gun wont shoot good. I will already know WHY IT WONT SHOOT STRAIGHT. :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Jesse does good work. I am sure you are going to be very pleased once you put your "new" rifle thru its paces.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I said I cast em for you ,never said I'd let you beat me with 'em. :mrgreen: Tom
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

If U don't mind My asking, how many 20s does it take ? I have a pristine 1966 / 94 and have always wanted a 38-55. also can it be done with a standard round barrel ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

20cows is the first we knew of to use Mr. Ocumpaugh. His high praise has been proven as justified by many here on the forum. It wasn't MY suggestion but I sure wish I could take credit, I need more credit... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I would sure like to have some contact imformation for Jesse. My son is ready to send him a 94 30-30 carbine to rebore to 38-55. He has been writing to 20 Cows about the work. He told my son that he didn't have the phone number now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Sounds good. If you're H&R 38-55 shoots like mine did, the H&R will shoot circles around the rebore....literally :x .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mr. Ocumpaugh's web site http://35caliber.com/index.html and the phone is 541-942-1342. His son has been selling some neat guns on Gunbroker.com.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a 1/2 oct '94 barrel to send his way, too. It will then go to Mike Hunter for correct markings. I'm not sure if Jess does that.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I finally found his site online. My son called him and will be mailing his carbine out as soon as the weather clears up. I sure hope he is not deployed again, I would have to keep his "new" 38-55 while gone.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

I sent a trapper in 30-30 to jess to bore to 38-55 it is one of my go to guns his boreing is a 375 bore an shoots like a house a fire don't have any trouble casting for it. over size bullets will not fit the chamber. I have 3 38-55 rifles an 2 375 win. I like the rebored one best
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I would like to know how it works out for you, I have been thinking about sending him my Model 94 Classic to rebore to 38-55 but it is such a good shooter, I can't decide.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I GOT IT BAACK, I GOT IT BAACK!!!! I went to the PO yesterday and picked up my model 94 and it looks like a fine job, as we all know though the proof is in the shooting and that will come next week. I would really like to shoot it sooner but I am leaving work early on Friday to go visit my 92 year old grandfather in VA and won't be back til sunday late. I am doing a welding job for a neighbor tonight after work, and on Thursday I have to pressure wash the house so the appraiser can come and get the paperwork in for a home refinance(I wanna shoot it, I wanna shoot it, I wanna shoot it) and to really make life more interesting I got a gunsafe yesterday and so my Man cave is spread out all over the house and needs to be put in order. The bright side of that is I found some of the small parts I lost over the last 5 years and I was able to clean walls and carpet and such. Now If I can just get a little organized and get some reloading done for it, Jesse sent a recommended load that he test fired it with and he was happy, so I'm a goona try that one.
I still ned to fit the crescent buttstock to the rifle, I fit the buttplate already and hope the stockk goes on without too much trouble.
Yes Joe, I will get some pics of the gun AND a range report. Tom
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Excitement! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Hobie, if you get more credit, what will you do with it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Cant wait to see the pics.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Did Jess remark the caliber on the barrel correctly?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Does anyone have any info on his .40 caliber propriettary cartridge?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Mike D, sorry for the delay but have a lot on my plate right now and it took me 24 hours to get back to that rifle. Jesse did remark it 38-55 at the base of the barrel next to the receiver, but remember this is a numrich arms barrel and it has the numrich stamp and 30-30 at the mid point. Is the way he marked it correct? I am sorry but I don't really know. Jesse did send a load for the rifle back with it but I had a question about that load so I called him and he got right back to me and was able to answer all my questions. I don't know if I will ever need a nother rifle rebored but if I do I KNOW WHERE I"M SENDING IT. In another post somebody talked about if you din't feel wanted before the sale you prolly wouldn't after, well I'll tell ya I felt like I was the only guy he was dealing with and I was important to him, THAT BOYS IS WORTH A LOT TO ME. THANK YOU JESSE O. Tom