Converting from 45-70 to 348 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Converting from 45-70 to 348 Winchester

Post by getitdone1 »

If a guy wanted to convert his gun from 45-70 to 348 Winchester could he have it done by lining chamber and bore or best to re-barrel?

I'd bet big on the latter.

Don McCullough
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

ummm. May I ask why?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe that rebarreling is best in that instance. I've heard of problems relining with high power rounds, and the barrel and liner each wouldn't be very thick either.

If you're talking Browning gun, then there should be some take-off 71 barrels floating around from guns that were converted to other calibers. I'd bet they would be reasonably priced.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

A better idea might be to just locate a Browing model 71, then you can have both.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Tycer wrote:ummm. May I ask why?
Yes.

Don McCullough
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Lastmohecken wrote:A better idea might be to just locate a Browing model 71, then you can have both.
Lastmohecken,

I have the Browning model 71 carbine. Just wished it looked more like my Browning 1886 SRC.

I might be in pretty good shape as is. :wink:

Don McCullough
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

You can't get there by "lining chamber and barrel" - the .348 uses a larger diameter case than the .45-70. The .33 WCF was based on the .45-70 case, but the .348 was based on the .50-110. The .348 has a nominal head diameter (right in front of the rim) of .553, the .45-70 is about .495
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

getitdone1 wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:A better idea might be to just locate a Browing model 71, then you can have both.
Lastmohecken,

I have the Browning model 71 carbine. Just wished it looked more like my Browning 1886 SRC.

I might be in pretty good shape as is. :wink:

Don McCullough
You can probably get there, one way or another. I have almost what you want, and I can understand the disire to want it. I have a Winchester Model 71, made in 1938 (long Tang) that was converted to 450 Alaskan and also had the barrel shortened, with a full length mag added. and converted to a straight Grip.

If you purchased an original 71 with a long tang, it could be done, but it would be expensive starting with an original long tang 71.[imImageg][/img]
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I wonder if the best way to go, might be to take a Browning 71 and a Browning 86 and swap barrels, and bolts. Then sell the 45/70 with the pistol grip, and keep the converted 86. That way if there are any differences in bolt faces, you would solve that problem also.

But who knows, you may run into headspace issues, among other things. Maybe just a new barrel, and possibly working on the bolt face if needed would solve the probem. I think the Brownings have metric threads, so you can't use an original Winchester 71 barrel.

To be honest, I have considered finding an orignal 71 barrel or a new barrel, and converting mine back to 348Win but leaving it in the shorter carbine form, just like it is now. I like the .348 round that much, but I havn't really given the 450 a good run for the money yet, and I have a 348 already but I love the straight grip also.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-lever

Post by B-lever »

There are probably some differences in the manufacturing and parts between the B 71 and 1886.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

B-lever wrote:There are probably some differences in the manufacturing and parts between the B 71 and 1886.
You're probably right, but it seems like it would have made good sense to have kept things the same if possible.