The ground is rumblin'....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

The ground is rumblin'....

Post by 2X22 »

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/33-quake- ... 72814.html

Man, ANOTHER earthquake this morning :shock: I live only 22.5 miles from the actual crater in Mt St Helens and this one felt like a semi hit the house, backed up and hit it again! I was actually online reading Leverguns when it hit. A few months ago we were hit by a pretty large feeling one, it felt like a train smashed into the house. No wave action, nothing that takes more than a 1/2 dozen seconds. I'm guessing that it is because they are so shallow? 3 miles ain't very deep... :shock: The last 2 a couple hours later were barely noticable.

I know absolutely nothing about earthquakes outside of in this area we are occasionally hit by some monster quakes in the 9.5 to 11 range. May these not be precursers to anything coming this way... :o

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: The ground is rumblin'....

Post by RKrodle »

WOW dude! Be safe.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hope you have a solid house...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I was in Oly when it blew in '80.
Absolutely astonishing.
"Absolutely" and "astonishing" are actually pitifully weak words for what I saw.
Never saw anything s big as that plume in my life.

I don't remember earthquakes preceding it though.
Several in CA a few years later and it was a weird experience, but just don't remember it happening before Mt. St. Helens blew.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I have been to the VC there at Mr. St. Helens, I can only imagine what it must have been like, I too hope it is nothing serious going to happen up there.
Terry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

More reason to pay attention. Stay safe.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The day she blew we were having a trap shoot at Wolverton Mt.Gun Club. The Sheriff deputy came in and ran us all out at about 3:00. The club is on the south side of the mountain but in the RED zone. We were shut down for 6-7 months.
There was so much static in the radio caused by the ash plume and the lightning strikes that were constantly flashing over the mountain that we had no idea how much damage it had caused. We were having a grand old time shooting and it was a beautiful spring day. :wink:
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

When it blew in 1980, I was about 30 miles from the mountain, and I will NEVER EVER forget what it looked like as it moved overhead and started to fall on us. THere was constant lightning in the cloud and a continuous rumble of thunder above us. When it fell, we were blacked out for a couple of hours. One point in time that will always be with me. There were earthquakes all day that day, some of which really shook the house. Not a lot one can do about it if it goes. Be safe 2x22!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

3 miles deep is extremely shallow even 6 is considered shallow. Depending on magnitude ofcourse it's a more dangerous type of quake short of being on the epicenter.

Keep a eye on the "mountain".

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

They reported on the news tonight that it is NOT magma moving around under the mountain. Instead, they are saying (somewhat dismissively) that it is two plates moving against one another.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that BAD news? Isn't that where the big quakes come from? :shock:

geobru, that brings back memories. I was living in Morton when she blew and it was just as you described. Unbelievably black outside. Not dark, black. The lightening as it moved toward us was ...... indescribable. My wifes folks were just a little way from the mountain that morning coming home from a camp they had while he worked a logging job up there. They were caught in the blast and had to stop and park it. They just about baked inside the truck and when it became light out they had over 3' of ash on their rig. A brand new pickup with less than 500 miles on it and by the time they got home the engine was toast.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hang in there......around here, we're waiting on Rainier to kill us :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BlaineG wrote:Hang in there......around here, we're waiting on Rainier to kill us :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2x22
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

2X22 wrote:They reported on the news tonight that it is NOT magma moving around under the mountain. Instead, they are saying (somewhat dismissively) that it is two plates moving against one another.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that BAD news? Isn't that where the big quakes come from? :shock:

2x22
In the scheme of things, no. At least theirs no migration of lava in to a magma chamber + equals bad news.

Being it went of the way it did at the magnitude it did your lucky, it's relieving pressure on the plates with a "smaller" quake versus penting it up and it come in a devestating single quake.

Rifleman 336
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2X22 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Hang in there......around here, we're waiting on Rainier to kill us :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2x22
I was nosing around cowlitz falls Sunday....I might have to think about a place around there when I retire...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

BlaineG wrote:I was nosing around cowlitz falls Sunday....I might have to think about a place around there when I retire...
But jeez Blaine, Rainier will STILL getcha, right down on the Cowlitz...! But seriously, Lewis County especially East Lewis County is a good place to live.

Rifleman336, now you have taken me off guard by making me feel better! :lol: :lol:

2x22
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rifleman336, now you have taken me off guard by making me feel better! :lol: :lol:
I dunno, could be setting up cascadia for it's overdue tantrum. That'll be way far more worser....
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

2X22 wrote: Rifleman336, now you have taken me off guard by making me feel better! :lol: :lol:

2x22

Hey, it still rearranges the furniture even if it's a "small" release. :shock: :lol:

Rifleman 336
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Grizz wrote:I dunno, could be setting up cascadia for it's overdue tantrum. That'll be way far more worser....
Yep, and that is what has been nagging at me in the back of my mind............. :shock:

2x22
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2X22 wrote:
Grizz wrote:I dunno, could be setting up cascadia for it's overdue tantrum. That'll be way far more worser....
Yep, and that is what has been nagging at me in the back of my mind............. :shock:

2x22
not a thing we can do about it. but I think about it too.

thought I felt a quick shock recently, but not sure. we sit just exactly on top of a fault that's constantly making little quakes, ones we usually can't feel. is that creepy, or what? stealth quakes?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Long ago when I lived in northern California, we use to say, "No problem, when the Big One hit's it will take California, Oregon, and Washington out into the Pacific and the West Coast will then be somewhere in Nevada." :lol:

Another in a very long list of reasons why I live in Colorado now.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was driving to Glendive, MT from North Dakota when Mt. St. Helen's blew the last time. I remember getting a little ways out of Glendive when I saw this massive dust cloud to the west. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then realized it was ash. I was luckily living in NoDak at the time, but I grew up in the middle of Washington State. Right where a ton of ash fell. There's still ash around and you don't even have to go digging for it. It'll go straight through a normal vehicle air filter and trash your rings. Sure hope I don't see that mountain go off again before I go. And, if it does this time I hope the prevailing wind goes northwest. :D
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

kimwcook wrote:I was driving to Glendive, MT from North Dakota when Mt. St. Helen's blew the last time. I remember getting a little ways out of Glendive when I saw this massive dust cloud to the west. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then realized it was ash. I was luckily living in NoDak at the time, but I grew up in the middle of Washington State. Right where a ton of ash fell. There's still ash around and you don't even have to go digging for it. It'll go straight through a normal vehicle air filter and trash your rings. Sure hope I don't see that mountain go off again before I go. And, if it does this time I hope the prevailing wind goes northwest. :D
I was in Indiana at Fort Ben, and the next morning, the sky was weird red, and there was a fine barely perceptable coat of ash on everything...jet stream took it right to us, and I heard it went around the world in a day or so....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Growin' up in SoCal, I paid little attention to "little" quakes; as Rifleman336 said, they're the screamin' matches that let's off pressure, rather than one BIG'un!

We were livin' in Costa Mesa, I was awakened from a pleasant dream where I was saiing on a yacht; to find myself in my waterbed, undulating up 'n down... Said, "darlin', quit rollin' rollin' around so much," as I rolled over to look at the Mrs. She was a'laying there, stiff as a board, every muscle tensed as all get out, eyes WIDE open... and could barely squeek out, "I ain't!" :lol: :lol:

Another time... sittin' in a traffic backup, and the cruiser started shudderin'... Quick flash thru my mind was, "what's wrong now?" Then could see the car in front of me was doin' the same... kinda relieved that it was a 'quake, not a car problem! :P :P :P 'Nother'n: ever been trapped in a stuck elevator? Quake hit just as the doors started to open... two screamin' women behind me, a window overlookin' a street and the building on the other side swayin' like it was made of jello! Elevator car bangin' back 'n forth, had to push one and carry the other to get them off the car and onto the relatively stable building.

Earthquakes: Mother Nature's version of an 'E' ticket ride @ Disneyland! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Makes a Central Illinois tonado seem pretty simple don't Joe?