Gun Show Score

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Gun Show Score

Post by geobru »

I went to a gun show last Saturday in Chehalis, WA with the idea of selling a Model 24 Winchester that I have had for 38 or so years, that has been sitting idle for decades. As I was wandering around looking at the tables, I spotted a cardboard box with several boxes of ammo labeled 40-82. I opened them up and found that there were a bunch of cases with the proper head stamp in some of the boxes. One box was over half filled with original Peters brass and WRA and HDS cases. Another box had 40-82 Jamieson cases and resized 45 basic and 45-70 cases. I struck up a conversation with the guy behind the table to find out what he wanted for them. He told me what he had reloaded them with, and then asked about my gun. After a few minutes of haggling, he paid me some cash plus my choice of two of the boxes of 40-82. I wanted the Peters cases because the only original unfired 40-82 shell that I have is a Peters, and Peters stopped making 40-82 ammo in 1946. Anyway, I now have 27 cases with a 40-82 headstamp! 8)

This is the box with the Peters brass.

This is my 40-82 pill pusher!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun Show Score

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nice. I love the barter system. Money is fun but goods are more fun. So many times both partys walk away happy.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great deal!! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Them's light arty rounds, right there.

Congrats on a great find. It's finds like this that have me still going to gun shows. Lord knows it isn't for any great deals on firearms.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Noah Zark wrote:Congrats on a great find. It's finds like this that have me still going to gun shows. Lord knows it isn't for any great deals on firearms.
Yep and yep. :D
Old Law Dawg
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You forgot to tell us how much you want for the rifle :D :D :) :) :| :| :( :cry:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

vancelw wrote:You forgot to tell us how much you want for the rifle :D :D :) :) :| :| :( :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geobro,
Just for your information, (you know I also like the 40-82) and that is if you decide to shoot those cases, make sure you anneal them first. A few years back, I lucked onto about 30 Peters empties and promptly loaded them up. After shooting them 3/4 of them split at the neck. It really burned me up as I knew better.

Nice '86. Is that the one you shoot in silhouette?

Model 24??? I have a near new pre-war one with a 4 digit serial number and I can't give it away. I took it to the last 3 shows and nobody was remotely interested.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Usually, the Peters cases are fine, but the old WRAs are not. Those balloon head cases are dangerous.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Score! Congratulations!!! :D
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:Geobro,
Just for your information, (you know I also like the 40-82) and that is if you decide to shoot those cases, make sure you anneal them first. A few years back, I lucked onto about 30 Peters empties and promptly loaded them up. After shooting them 3/4 of them split at the neck. It really burned me up as I knew better.
I kind of figured that that would be a good idea, but I really don't have any plans for shooting this brass. I'm getting 14 reloads out of Starline brass and they are still going strong. I was just thrilled to get some brass with "40-82" on the base instead of 45-90!!
Sixgun wrote:Nice '86. Is that the one you shoot in silhouette?
This is the only 40-82 I have, so any thread that I have started that refers to a 40-82 is referring to this gun. I have never shot silhouette, but it seems like that would be a real kick to do with an old gun like this with a rainbow trajectory! I'm still playing with the tang site at longer ranges.

Sixgun wrote:Model 24??? I have a near new pre-war one with a 4 digit serial number and I can't give it away. I took it to the last 3 shows and nobody was remotely interested.--------Sixgun
I hear you on that one Jack! I have tried to sell it in a pretty layed back way at a few small gun shows for two years. The guy offered me 3 C notes and the shells. I figured that the gun was only worth 325 to 350 at a show like that unless I found someone that just had to have that gun. It was original and had nice wood on it, but there was bluing wear at the break from carrying it, definitely not as new! I bought the gun used in 1972 for my dad.
Mike D. wrote:Usually, the Peters cases are fine, but the old WRAs are not. Those balloon head cases are dangerous.
Thanks for the tip Mike. I wasn't aware that the WRA's were baloon heads.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I LOVE the 24's!

Dang George, I was at the same gunshow on both Saturday AND Sunday! We probably passed one another like two ships in the night..... :shock: :lol:

It was one of those gunshows that I just couldn't find anything to buy and I had money burning a hole in my pocket! Came home with some new primed .44 special brass and a buncha jacketed bullets from that fellow down to the right in a center isle when you come in the door with all the bullets. A nice feller that is willing to deal.

Glad you got done what you needed. What gauge was your shotgun? I love 'em in 20 gauge.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

2X22 wrote:I LOVE the 24's!

Glad you got done what you needed. What gauge was your shotgun? I love 'em in 20 gauge.

2x22
It was a 12 ga with Mod/Imp cylinders.

There was an 86 in 40-82 that sold before I got there for 2K. I saw the gun and it was a good shooter grade.

I'm surprised that you didn't recognize me. I was the guy that was all wet from walking from his car to the building! :lol: We need to have a Leverguns Patch to wear at special occasions so we know when there is a fellow lever gunner in the room!

Did you see the 94 with the octagon barrel in the center back of the room? It was too rich for my blood, but it was one of the few that wasn't messed with... Like the model 64 for $495 that had a straight stock! :evil: It was pretty depressing to look at the prices of some of that stuff that was about a half step above junk!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

geobru wrote:
I'm surprised that you didn't recognize me. I was the guy that was all wet from walking from his car to the building! :lol: We need to have a Leverguns Patch to wear at special occasions so we know when there is a fellow lever gunner in the room!
All you gotta do is look for the guys with drool hitting the levergun tables. That way you don't have to lift your head up from the rifles to look for a patch.
Oh, and if you accidentally touch hands with a man while both of you are reaching for a nice levergun, he's probably a levergunner, too. Don't cuss him out, unless you're doing it to distract him while you reach for your wallet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

geobru wrote:
2X22 wrote:I'm surprised that you didn't recognize me. I was the guy that was all wet from walking from his car to the building! :lol:
Hey! I DID see you! You look 'zackly like me it sounds..... :lol:
We need to have a Leverguns Patch to wear at special occasions so we know when there is a fellow lever gunner in the room!
Agreed.
Did you see the 94 with the octagon barrel in the center back of the room? It was too rich for my blood, but it was one of the few that wasn't messed with...
Saw it, drooled over it. My son came and got me and told me about it and dragged me over to look at it again. We are entirely too poor :(
It was pretty depressing to look at the prices of some of that stuff that was about a half step above junk!
Yep. What ever happened to the old feller that was just to the right when you first came in the door that had all the OLD Winchesters? I bought my 71 from him. I love to drool over his stuff but haven't seen him for a year or a little less. I'd like to see how much money I don't have when I get to look through his stuff.. :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

2X22 wrote:I LOVE the 24's!
I had money burning a hole in my pocket!
Hey 2X22--Burn $500 this way (shipped) and I'll send you this one, made in 1939 with a 4 digit serial number---hardly shot at all. :D ---------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD