Drop Leg Holsters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Drop Leg Holsters

Post by Old Ironsights »

Wanting to do some black powder hunting next winter, and want to be able to get to my 1858 while wearing cold weather gear.

Considering a mid-thigh drop-leg style, but I'd like a flap.

Anybody heard of such a critter?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Drop Leg Holsters

Post by BigSky56 »

OI, you wont like a mid leg holster it is a annoyance when walking or if you have to move fast. 3 options to deal with a heavy coat 1 a cross chest shoulder holster over the left side of your chest under or over your coat 2 a cross draw under your coat where the grip is close to the belt buckle it easy to access cause most coats stop the zipper at belt or 3 modify your jacket at a good tailors they can split the coat and sew it so it splits around the holster worn on your belt and hangs nice alot of old west lawmen did this. I use the cross draw with my 3/4 ranch coat and it comes out fast I also use a chest holster it dont take long to draw from under my jacket. I'll see if I can find a pic of a split jacket. danny
http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/
http://www.cabelas.com/holsters-belts-b ... :referralI
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'll second the notion that the drop leg holsters are a real pain. Flop around a LOT!
I go Cross draw under my coat when slinging a rifle. Keeps the sixgun under cover
and is still easy to get to.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My Colt SAA 5 1/2" .45 draws real quick and smooth in a crossdraw holster under a Carhart coat with the 2 bottom buttons undone.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Oh, come on, there's nothing that says mall ninja like a drop leg holster. Even for black powder, which makes it sort of a steam punk-ish mall ninja.

Seriously though, yes, they flop. Best holsters have a retraining strap at the top and bottom of the holster to keep it from moving around. You have a fine line to stay on to keep the straps just right. Too loose, it flops or moves around on your leg, too tight, your foot goes numb. Look up info on 'femoral artery'.

If you're going to be real active, climbing, close places, hard to recommend it.

Casually sauntering about, might work.

But done right, it would look cool.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

BigSky56 wrote:... a cross draw under your coat where the grip is close to the belt buckle it easy to access cause most coats stop the zipper at belt
That seems to be the most practical and comfortable for me, even with my winter parka.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

OI, I would go with the crossdraw also. I carried a thigh holster for the last four years everyday for work and 21 years on a part time assignment. The only reason SWAT teams or other units carry sidearms that way is because of the bulky tactical vest they use with all the extra equipment. A holster on your hip would interfere with drawing the weapon straight up. It bangs into everything because it is moving back and forth as you walk as opposed to a holster on your belt which is stationary. In the woods hunting, it would snag on everything. Hope this helps. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As the others have said, a cross-draw is the best of the out of the way holsters. Although...

I'm considering as my next holster/belt rig:
ImageImage

Rather than using it on a regular Army styled web belt, using the drop rig pictured on the right, it'll work for those of us with ape like arms, and the holster itself swivels for walking or riding...

unfortunately, the holster's for a 1911, not a 1858! :P

I might just stick with the later 1940 version:

Another very viable option is a good shoulder holster:

And it appears as though you could get it for your firearm choice:
1942 "Tanker Holster" by El Paso Saddlery
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've worn my gun belt over my coat also. Keeps it handy. Cross draw seems to work best with a heavy coat on.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Spent several years with a Safariland 6004.

A drop-down extender from the belt is better than an actual thigh holster. WHich is why Safariland makes the 6280 and sells a bunch. Either that, or an external tanker-style shoulder holster or gunbelt-over-jacket (Sam Browne style)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i prefer a shoulder holster....less noise...
easier to sit down in treestand...and easier to draw.
no flapping about when tied to belt......

but if you want it on your belt...go with a high hip hoslster...or crossdraw
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While I agree with the comments on the thigh holster, I'm recalling that cowboys sometimes had a "holster" built into their chaps. If I recall correctly, it would be right about hand level when standing, and easily reached while riding. Anyone else have anymore info on them?

Oh, by the way, I saw a photo on a holster site, no sure which one, of a drop let leather holster for a 1911, sorta retro/modern looking. Looked cool, but I don't imagine it would be very comfortable, or light, what with all that leather and brass buckles.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

2ndovc wrote:
I go Cross draw under my coat when slinging a rifle. Keeps the sixgun under cover
and is still easy to get to.
+1

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I used a tanker holster as part of my kit in both my M-60 in Germany and M-48 in RVN. I can tell you that they are great at keeping the pistol tight to your body and out of the way. Both are important as there are a lot of corners and such to catch on inside a tank.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jkbrea wrote:OI, I would go with the crossdraw also. I carried a thigh holster for the last four years everyday for work and 21 years on a part time assignment. The only reason SWAT teams or other units carry sidearms that way is because of the bulky tactical vest they use with all the extra equipment.
Ya mean like a possibles bag? :wink:
A holster on your hip would interfere with drawing the weapon straight up. It bangs into everything because it is moving back and forth as you walk as opposed to a holster on your belt which is stationary. In the woods hunting, it would snag on everything. Hope this helps. :)
I've seen some ninja rigs that look like they hold the holster pretty tight to the thigh, but I get 'yalls point.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

When hunting with a cross draw on the belt or cross draw shoulder set up is the most comfortable . If you carry a standard holster on your side the weight of it pulls on the opposite side and gives you lower back pain after carring it all day. While a cross draw up front doesn't do that.