What if ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What if ....

Post by J Miller »

What if Norinco made a copy of the pre-war Winchester 1894?

Would you buy one?

I'll put my answer in later.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: What if ....

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
Got a good laugh out of that one. :D I can see it now--metric screws (maybe push pins), some yellow junk wood, groove diameter at .314, real short lever & buttstock for the little people.

Junk is junk from countries that produce junk and always will be junk :wink: :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah, Six - but @ , say, $250 MSRP, there'll be a LOT of buyers beating down their doors.

There's a butt for EVERY seat.................. ;) :mrgreen:

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A simple "NO" would have been sufficient. :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I think I'd rather see Rossi give it a try.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

+1 Steve. Rossi may not be perfect, but for the price they are pretty good and they shoot well usually.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

COSteve wrote:I think I'd rather see Rossi give it a try.

I would rather see Rossi make one also since they have many years of making good lever guns.

That said, I do have a Norinco copy of the 1887 Winchester and like it just fine so I would consider it if the price was right and I heard some decent reviews of the gun.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

No
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Norinco 1911 wasn't a bad gun... certainly not great, but it functioned like any WWII era 1911.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Rube Burrows wrote:
COSteve wrote:I think I'd rather see Rossi give it a try.

I would rather see Rossi make one also since they have many years of making good lever guns.

That said, I do have a Norinco copy of the 1887 Winchester and like it just fine so I would consider it if the price was right and I heard some decent reviews of the gun.
+1 except my Norinco is/was (I gave it to my son, he loves it) an AK 47, I liked it just fine except I don't really like those kind of guns :o but it shot, and functioned just fine.
Terry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another +1 Steve for Rossi. I think they're certainly capable. I'd like to see it in "full Pre War" spec actually, not "just" Pre 64, since there are still plenty of the latter for those that want them--at no longer ungodly prices. Among marketeers, Pre War's--carbines and round and octagonal-barrel rifles--could be considered "more special" (for anyone) in order to warrant production. OTOH, what's to compel Rossi to make a 94 without a stupid safety as they're doing on the 92s?

I think Chiappa or Uberti are more likely to make one without an "extra" safety...but at a cost of course, if the 92s, 86s and 73s are any indication.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

no way
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

NOTHING FROM COMMUNIST RED CHINA :x :x :x
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'd rather see Uberti do it well via Cimarron or something like that. They'd cost as much as a Japchester but they'd hopefully look nicer and be minus the annoying parts. Rossi has already shown us that they don't have the testicles to build us lever guns minus the lawyered up bits.

That said, remember that the Chinese will build a Western or Japanese distributor whatever quality they demand! High tech cameras and iPhones and appliances are all made in China to someone else's specs. For example, I have NO doubt that Big Horn Armory could contract with a Chinese outfit to make those rifles, just as nicely, for half the end cost to you and me. Doesn't mean I want them to!! I'm just callin' it like it is.

NO, I'm not interested, but if it were made like something from Davide Pedersoli but cost $399 I'd have serious trouble controlling my hand-to-wallet dysfunction!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. At prices like was suggested it would be something I could afford and well, I figure people in China need to eat too.
Now if an American company would produce the same gun for the same price... well I hope someone will let me know when that happens.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I no buy no China gun, no way Jose!
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

These answers didn't surprise too much. I did think there would be more yeses though considering just how many people were talking about using the Norinco 1911s and how usable they were as is or for project guns. There were at least a few folks here that also bought the Chinese made 1887 lever shotgun IIRC. None of them perfect, but all usable.

So far I've resisted most strenuously the purchase of any Chinese firearm.
However if they did make a really accurate pre-war version of the 94, I'm not sure I could continue to resist.

Oh, and those of you who say you'd rather see Rossi make the 94s, remember, they already went to a Marlin copy.

Joe
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

UncleBuck wrote:NOTHING FROM COMMUNIST RED CHINA :x :x :x
sounds right, but would you buy one made in COMMUNIST WISCONSIN?
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Probably not, since I've already got a '94 in .30-30 and '94 Trappers in .45LC and .357 Mag..

However, on the Norinco sub-thread, my 1897 trench gun is a Chicom copy, but a very good one with very good wood-to-metal fit and a decent blue finish (it's a trench gun, after all), with excellent walnut furniture (from the US of A). It's full mil spec and accepts the M1917 bayo to make an impressive piece of weaponry. No complaints on function, just wish it would cycle the Aguila Mini-shells. Single-loading only there.

While normally not too keen on acquiring any Bamboo Curtain armaments, I figured this one instance made sense, the price of a real Winchester '97 in the trench configuration being 'way more than I could afford for general knocking around and being parked behind the door.
Last edited by trapper45 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich N
Levergunner

Post by Rich N »

I think I'd pass on one.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

NOOOOOOO!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

No.

Now if they made an 1886 26" octagon barrel straight or semi pistol grip, crescent buttplate .45-70, CCH receiver for 25 cents, NO.

No.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I guess I'm curious as to all the "heck no" people. I mean is it against their quality, the company or as some had stated because its from China? If it's against China I wonder where these guys are buying their... well lots of stuff. I'd have to guess they don't shop at wally world much either.
Wuh duh ma huh tah duh fong kwong duh wai shung, Firefly....here we come!
Last edited by mklwhite on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Actually, the fact is that the OP's question is irrelevant at this time because currently, the US bands the importation of any Chinese made firearm so if it isn't already here, it's not coming in. For example, Norinco makes a decent looking 22 levergun called the JW-21 and it can't be imported either. Check it out here.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I lose sleep over buying shoes from this evil empire, so most definitely no Joe.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Sure, why not. Half the stuff I own comes from Wal-Mart, and most of the stuff they sell comes from China. The same can be said about Sears and Home Depot as well - the other two places I shop.

My Chi-Com made Remington 870 knock-off shotgun is just as well made as my 870 knock-off made in American hating Turkey, and both proved to be just as good as my real Remington shotgun made in the good old USA. In fact, I was forced to sell one of the trio a while back (to buy another gun), and guess which one went out the door, that's right, the Remington. The others had features that were superior to the Remington so I kept them. Besides, I knew I could replace the one I sold - not to mention I could get more money for the Remington than the two cheapo knock-offs.

And no Grizz, I wouldn't buy one made in Wisconsin. The last thing I bought from that place was a Shovelhead, and that thing was pure misery for years and miles and miles. One rotton motorcycle taught me all I needed to know about Wisconsin engineering and craftsmanship.

Hey, I'd buy a Japanese Model 71 or 86 too, if I had the chance. And those suckers actually bombed us. :o
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

No.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm still in the market for a norinco 45 ACP

I figure when the corruptocrats default and the chinese come to collect, it might prove handy, and I love the irony.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

COSteve wrote:Actually, the fact is that the OP's question is irrelevant at this time because currently, the US bans the importation of any Chinese made firearm so if it isn't already here, it's not coming in. For example, Norinco makes a decent looking 22 levergun called the JW-21 and it can't be imported either. Check it out here.
I think many of us know that and it doesn't make the OP's question irrelevant since it was a hypothetical.

The Norinco M14 for $399 on that web page makes my point rather nicely though. At some price point/quality level most of us are buyers.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Someone front me the money to buy the equipment, teach me how to run it... I'd build them. Oh, they'd be expensive, few would buy... but they'd be better than the japchester... American steel, American walnut (unless you wanted English or French).

I even know of a decent shop available... I got a few to reverse engineer from. Winchester ain't used the design for the past 29 years... shouldn't be a big legal hurdle... :P You can have it any way you want... as long as you want a top eject, in rifle or carbine, blued or case colored... any of the 1st three calibers, D&T'd for a tang sight.

I just don't know what to call it... :?:

But, chinese? No.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nope
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What I am about to write is in no way condensending to any of our members as I think this is one great group of shootists we have here. Good right wing, conservative, patriotic, educated (whether by college or upbringing) and God fearin' folks we have. :D

Is what I am amazed at is that anyone would even consider buying anything from China if they had a choice to buy elsewhere. China uses slave labor, (yea, maybe not slaves, but what do you think the average guy makes?) human rights issues, communism, other issues that are over my head, and just the plain fact that buyers are sending their greenbacks to a country that one day will have financial control over use. (if they don't already)

I'm not talking about buying clothes pins, towels, gloves, pencils, etc. because China sure has just about cornered the market on cheap items, but I'm talking big ticket items---especially firearms of American design Its bad enough with the Italians, Japs, Turks, and those other little people down below the border, but at least you know they are being run by a half way decent government that gives some freedom to their people

Maybe I'm old fashioned or just plain weird. I'll stick to my previous statement that junk is junk and always will be junk---especially if it has "made in China" stamped on it----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Sixgun wrote:What I am about to write is in no way condensending to any of our members as I think this is one great group of shootists we have here. Good right wing, conservative, patriotic, educated (whether by college or upbringing) and God fearin' folks we have. :D

Is what I am amazed at is that anyone would even consider buying anything from China if they had a choice to buy elsewhere. China uses slave labor, (yea, maybe not slaves, but what do you think the average guy makes?) human rights issues, communism, other issues that are over my head, and just the plain fact that buyers are sending their greenbacks to a country that one day will have financial control over use. (if they don't already)

I'm not talking about buying clothes pins, towels, gloves, pencils, etc. because China sure has just about cornered the market on cheap items, but I'm talking big ticket items---especially firearms of American design Its bad enough with the Italians, Japs, Turks, and those other little people down below the border, but at least you know they are being run by a half way decent government that gives some freedom to their people

Maybe I'm old fashioned or just plain weird. I'll stick to my previous statement that junk is junk and always will be junk---especially if it has "made in China" stamped on it----------Sixgun
Got it.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

What Sixgun said, except freedom isn't given by any government.
Have you hugged your rifle today?