Browning model 71 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning model 71 Carbine

Post by getitdone1 »

Browning model 71 Carbine, like new for sale at Cabelas. $1599.00. Wow! Appears I made a pretty good investment with mine. They also have a Deluxe version for about $1840.00.

Believe they are off the mark and these can be had for less. Perhaps 1200 for the standard carbine.

They WILL keep going up because they are probably the last without "lawyer safeties." Unbeatable quality.

Don McCullough
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning model 71 Carbine

Post by t.r. »

The 71 was an updated 1886 action but the 348 cartridge is a necked down 50-110 case. It failed in the marketplace because this rifle does not accept conventional scope mounts. So-called average gun buyer didn't want a heavy recoiling top ejecting elk rifle. Marlin filled this gap very nicely with their 444 and its still in production to this day. Profile and handling characteristics are same but 444 fires 265 and 300 grain bullets into tight groups.

That being said, the 71 has been rebarreled and wildcatted by many Alaskan and Canadian hunters who don't need or want a scope. One of the more interesting wildcats is the 416-348. The 450 Alaskan is another very interesting wildcat.

Spending more than a thousand dollars on a top ejecting heavy recoiling rifle chambered for a cartridge that is very spendy and difficult to find ammo seems somewhat odd to me.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

t.r. wrote:The 71 was an updated 1886 action but the 348 cartridge is a necked down 50-110 case. It failed in the marketplace because this rifle does not accept conventional scope mounts. So-called average gun buyer didn't want a heavy recoiling top ejecting elk rifle. Marlin filled this gap very nicely with their 444 and its still in production to this day. Profile and handling characteristics are same but 444 fires 265 and 300 grain bullets into tight groups.

That being said, the 71 has been rebarreled and wildcatted by many Alaskan and Canadian hunters who don't need or want a scope. One of the more interesting wildcats is the 416-348. The 450 Alaskan is another very interesting wildcat.

Spending more than a thousand dollars on a top ejecting heavy recoiling rifle chambered for a cartridge that is very spendy and difficult to find ammo seems somewhat odd to me.

TR

You must not own a 71 lol. I would not trade one of my 71s Browning or Winchester for a box car full of Marlin 444s. Just my opinion and probably a dozen other 71 lovers on this forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I bought a 71 in 1973 for $200. It was built in the 1930's. But I sold it for $325. in 1977 and was glad to see the .348 go away. I'm not a fan of heavy recoil rifles.

USA dollars have depreciated much faster than the 71 has gone up in value. The $325. I rec'd in '77 was a great value!!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I believe that the Browning version of the 71 is actually better built than the original, but do not think it is worth more than an original.

Still have a brand new in the box Browning 71, a couple of boxes of ammo, and a brand new set of Hornady dies for the .348. Someday I will shoot it to see if it is as good as the old long tang Win 71 that I used to have.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I picked up an excelnt used Browning 71 carbine between Christmas, and New year for $800.00, that included a box of Hornady bullets, about 13 brass, RCBS reloading dies, and a Williamd FP receiver sight, I think I got a good deal, I think $1800.00 is a little steep :shock:
Some one mentioned recoil, I have herd this before, personily I don't think it kicks all that bad, I have never left the shooting rainge wishing I had lighter loads.
Terry
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

gordylew wrote:
t.r. wrote:The 71 was an updated 1886 action but the 348 cartridge is a necked down 50-110 case. It failed in the marketplace because this rifle does not accept conventional scope mounts. So-called average gun buyer didn't want a heavy recoiling top ejecting elk rifle. Marlin filled this gap very nicely with their 444 and its still in production to this day. Profile and handling characteristics are same but 444 fires 265 and 300 grain bullets into tight groups.

TR

You must not own a 71 lol. I would not trade one of my 71s Browning or Winchester for a box car full of Marlin 444s. Just my opinion and probably a dozen other 71 lovers on this forum.

I am with gorgylew I wouldn't trade my M-71's for 4 box cars of 444's.The M-71/348 combo IMHO is the best levergun ever made. It will do everything asked of it with a great deal of class. 106% cool factor !!!!!!!!!
M-71's forever !!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC