Sixgun, send me the pictures please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Sixgun, send me the pictures please.

Post by spurgon »

Sixgun
I was reading a former post you made about using Lee Factory Crimp Dies in kind of a generic fashion. You offered to send photos of your set up in your post below. I would greatly appreciate it if you would set them to me. I reloading for the 32-40.

thanks
spurgon

Any Lee FCD that is made for a 32 caliber cartridge that is SHORTER will work. You just have to make a spacer for it.
I use a 38-40 LFCD die for 40-65 and 40-82. I cut a 1/2" copper pipe to a length that is the exact dfference between case lengths of the 38-40 and 40-65 (or 40-82). I then slip this short section of copper pipe over the loaded round before running it in the "host" FLCD. Works perfect.

This also pertains to cartridges of any caliber as long as the caliber is the same and the host die is shorter.

If you have a problem, let me know and I will send you pics----------Sixgun
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

btt
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

btt
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Spurgon, Here 'ya go.
On the far left you will see a piece of copper plumbing pipe---------next you will see a loaded 40-82 round---------next is a 38-40 round---------and finally the 38-40 Lee Factory crimp Die.

#1) Measure the case length of each empty case. #2.) subtract the exact difference between the two and you will come up with a number.---------#3 Cut the pipe to that exact size (= or - a few thou.) #4--After seating a bullet, slip the copper pipe over the loaded round and run it into the FCD. As you know, it will be a touch and go thing--you can feel it, plus you can eyeball it from above and watch the collet squeeze in.

The second pic (excuse the nasty color of the pics, I must have had a weird setting on) shows the makeshift collar on the loaded 40-82 round.---------------Sixgun

Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Anyone---Do these pictures come up in my above post? They do on my computer. My son just called from Colorado and he said only those stupid little squares come up.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Just stupid squares.

Stoopid squares.
Slow is just slow.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i see the pictures
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

SixgunI get only the squares and not the pictures.. I'll send you an email with my address if youcould try it that way.
thanks
spurgon
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I didn't even get the stupid little squares :cry:
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great