Range Report: .357mag Reloads With 2400

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Range Report: .357mag Reloads With 2400

Post by Scott64A »

OK, so after a long day of learning intubations of all kinds, practicing medication adminstration, (on each other!) and watching movies with cavaders cross-sectioned to show off the different airway devices, I was ready to head to the range!

I had loaded 15.0gr of 2400 behind some 125grJHP. This is just below the recommended starting load, but someone else had mentioned using even less than this so it seemed ok.

The first group shot was not bad; about 3" at 20ft.
My friend Mike, (a fellow student,) took turns shooting cylnders full and we both agreed it was still a peppy little load for "minimum starting".

He was grouping well, too, though he tends to shoot low and left as I did when I first started with this pistol. (SA revolvers tend to tell on you.)

Anyhoo, after two shot groups around three inches, I shot this one:

Tough to tell from the camera in my phone, but I'll fill you in.
I measured at home with the calipers and got 1.980" from the furthest two holes, in the center of each. Three in the middle cut the same hole.
Yes, you read that right, I ballantined the suckers!!!

I'm still a little to the left, but I will adjust the sight a bit to compensate.
Once I settled in on this shooting session, I repeated 2" groups until we were out of ammo.
Ha, even though I'm a novice, I had two other guys at the range come over and ask me if I had some sort of technique to do that.

I like 2400 a LOT.
It's crisp, and burns clean!
I had some unburnt kernels laying around when I was done, so I'll try 16 and 17.0 gr next.

If I still get groups around 2", I'll load them hot -somewhere around 1600-1700fps and then just find what groups best and go with it.

Reloading is easier and more rewarding to me when stick with a recipe and practice!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks! I love range reports.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Good report! 14.9/15.0gr of 2400 is plenty hot for a revolver and won't stress it out. I was never able to get tighter revolver groups, with hotter 2400 loads. You can also shoot 100 + rounds and not have any sign of recoil fatigue. You can go max loads without any real wear to your rifle though.
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Just keep trying and thinking-Primers and groups :D a couple of things to watch 8)
Dave
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

8) cool! 8)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I just tested 10 gr through 12 gr with 180's, and at 10 grains all bullets were touching at 25 yards. The rifle really seemed to "sing" at that level.

12 was max with the 180's, and it was the least accurate.

If you want to go down a little I think you're safe.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."