Marlin 1893 - A couple of Generalized Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1893 - A couple of Generalized Questions

Post by BC in TN »

Just thinking about a Marlin 1893. Consider a rifle made in about 1915; the caliber is 30-30; the barrel indicates "Special Smokeless Steel", and overall the rifle appears in excellent condition. Also consider that the potential owner does not reload. Generally, would there likely be any issue with firing factory ammo of the 150 or 170 grain variety (say 100 rounds or so per year)?

Did those 1893s made in the teens have an option for reciever sights without drilling & tapping?

If you have some knowledge or experience with the 1893 I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin 1893 - A couple of Generalized Questions

Post by Wind »

Hey there BC -- You shouldn't have any issues using factory ammunition in a '93 of that vintage, providing the rifle is in good shape. I don't believe the receivers were drilled and tapped, but the tangs were. Here is one of mine with an MVA midrange sight mounted. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Firing modern factory 30-30 ammo is not a problem with a smokeless 1893.
30-30 ammo hasn't changed that much in pressure since it's inception. It's no different than firing it in a similar vintage Win 94, witch I've done with zero problems.

As for the side mount receiver sights I'd say no. More than likely D&T'd for tang sights though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

..........after 1905 the top of the receiver was d&t'd, for a Hepburn receiver sight. I know someone that had excellent reproductions made. He sells them for $175 and has 15 or so left.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

jdad wrote:..........after 1905 the top of the receiver was d&t'd, for a Hepburn receiver sight. I know someone that had excellent reproductions made. He sells them for $175 and has 15 or so left.

BC, just be aware that the Hepburn sight has no windage adjustment...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
SMOKE JENSEN
Levergunner

Post by SMOKE JENSEN »

I have a 1893 made in the early 20's and it has been shot using both 150 & 170's with no problems. It has dropped about 50 deer since it's been made both by my dad and I. One was dropped at about 350 yds by my dad(it was measured by a couple of non-believers, who said it couldn't kill at that range). So shoot and have fun.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

jdad wrote:..........after 1905 the top of the receiver was d&t'd, for a Hepburn receiver sight. I know someone that had excellent reproductions made. He sells them for $175 and has 15 or so left.

Jdad,
I'd like to learn more about the Hepburn reproductions. Airedaleman indicated that the Hepburn does not have windage adjustments - does the reproduction sight have windage adjustments? Can you assist me in getting in touch with the person who had the reproductions made?

Also, by chance, if you know of someone with an original Hepburn for sale....

Thanks, BC
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hepburn sights are not windage adjustable.

I can't find Larry's phone number where it should be. :twisted: His repro's have 3 holes, in the base, so they will fit the original Marlin's and the new production rifles. They are $175 each. He has a mint original Hepburn, but I think he wants $400.

I found his phone number. Check your PM :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

At some point they dropped the Hepburn sight holes on the 1893, so although they started in 1905 with the holes, I'm not sure if they dropped them just before WIII, or just after?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

marlinman93 wrote:At some point they dropped the Hepburn sight holes on the 1893, so although they started in 1905 with the holes, I'm not sure if they dropped them just before WIII, or just after?

I'm pretty sure Marlin stopped somewhere around the end of the 1893 production, in 1935. I can't remember seeing a Model 1936/36, with Hepburn holes. I could be wrong though.