OT: Need Auto Advise - Toyota Tacoma Heater Not Heating.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Need Auto Advise - Toyota Tacoma Heater Not Heating.

Post by Blackhawk »

Started my truck yesterday morning and the heater wouldn't heat up. I've got a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, V6. I figure its either the thermostat is stuck open, or possibly a fuse. Maybe the heater itself but unsure. Anybody changed one out, a thermostat or had a problem like this in their truck? Any advise or ideas?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No fuse that I can think of unless the fan is not working. If you have a temp gauge, see if it's where it should be. See if you have enought coolant and then check if your radiator cap is sealing proper. Then check the thermostat (take out, put in boiling water and see if it opens), then go get help at a mechanic's shop you trust. 99 times out of a 100 it will be one of the easy things......
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I have a 98 but never had any troubles. I cant think theres a fuse involved.
Gotta be a stuck thermostat.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

After your engine is good and warmed up, put your hand on the top radiator hose. It should be hot. If not, your therm. is stuck open. Check your hoses running to the heater core. If one is hot and the other is cold, you have a clogged heater core.

If you are unsure on how to handle this, sometimes its better to save on the aggravation and pay someone to fix it as I have "fixed" things before and it cost me double to get it right again.

Another thing that works is to have a buddy of yours that lies a lot or won't stop talking, to ride around with you. All that hot air will warm you up. My Jeep Wrangler never did have a good heater in it so I bring 4 dogs with me. All of that heavy breathing sure keeps it toasty in there :D ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks gentlemen.

If I remember correctly I think there is a heater control value on the back side of where the thermostat is located. Or there used to be on the older models, mid 80's.

I didn't look at my truck temp gauge when I found it, I was running late and am little worried about that. But will check that too.

I guess a diagram search is in order.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Blackhawk,

I have a '00 Tacoma with the 3.4 v6 so I'm familiar with your truck. If your cooling system is full, your engine is coming up to full operating temp and the fan motor is blowing We need to look at the controls and the dampers in the ducting. It's possible that a linkage has come loose or the temp control has gone bad.

If it's a Thermostat, it's a walk in the park. These things are really easy to change out on that engine. I'll help with photos and explanation if necessary.

Love my truck. 238k miles. Other than basic maintenance: 1 rear main seal, 1 thermostat, 1 fan clutch, 1 starter. The upholstery coulda been better tho.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Have you checked the coolant level? If it is low for what ever reason, it may not have enough head for the heater matrix. A small weep at the rad over time could give the same symtoms. Good luck, Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Several people have mentioned it, but check, and double check, the coolant level, and not just look at the overflow tank, but take the radiator cap off and LOOK into the radiator with a light. That's the first thing to check when the heater isn't putting out heat, and the one that can have the worst consequences if it's the problem.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Willco on the coolant level.

My Toyota has been great. 180K and still going, well sorta.

I'll let you getlemen know more about it this evening when I get home and take a closer look.

Thank you for the help, I'm no mechanic.

Johnny

Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Hope it's somrthing simple and easy to fix. Here is my 01 Tacoma and it runs like the day I got it and has 92,000 on it. The Tacoma is about all you see in these mountains. Most of them have dog boxes on the back and a couple of Bear dogs sitting on top. :) Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Also try www.ttora.com.

I've got a '97 extra-cab v-6 4x4 with about 80k miles.

The Mike's in WV must like their Tacomas, neighbor across the street named Mike has 1 too.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

I'm a firm believer that there are more Tacoma's in these WV mountains than any other state. They are tough as nails and work great on these logging roads and old mining roads. I have owned nothing but 4x4's most of my life and this Tacoma's is the best one I have ever owned. Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Hey Blackhawk

Post by MikeS. »

so what was it?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hey Blackhawk

Post by cnjarvis »

MikeS. wrote:so what was it?
Was just thinking this yesterday.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

As long as you fan motor blows its not a fuse. Change the thermostat!
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

To be perfectly frank old chap, I rather suspect that this is a question far better directed to a Toyota forum.

This is becoming just too bothersome for me.

Now I too shall have to leave.

Toodle-doo!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Sorry gentlemen been out with sick kids and had the stomach bug myself.

I found that I have a leaking radiator. I went ahead and flushed it out and refilled it. But the fluid keeps leaking off. I am going to the parts store today and get some stopleak to try and fix it.

It about time for new one all together anyway.

Johnny

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I thought so, thermostats very rarely go like that. I'll guess your heater matrix is slightly higher or level with the top of your rad. As the contents of the rad are exchanged for air it soon finds it way in to the matrix and flow stops. You may find some bleed screws on the pipes into the matrix to get rid of the trapped air. Over here we have a product called Barrs Leaks and it comes in a thick liquid or a stick of dog poop looking form, it is very good at stopping a sweaty rad. Salt road treatment is the culprit of damage to modern alloy rads. In winter I fit covers to try and stop the salt wash from getting on the rad directly. A better method would be to remove and wash the rad and then give it a good spray paint of black to further protect the alloy.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!