FRONT SIGHT QUESTION BROWNING 1886 RIFLE 26 INCH BARREL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

FRONT SIGHT QUESTION BROWNING 1886 RIFLE 26 INCH BARREL

Post by gary rice »

Im having a little trouble seeing the front sight so my original thought was to order a marbles front sight with a 3/32 bead rather than the 1/16 bead that appears to be on the gun. The wider bead on my 1895 cowboy gives me no grief at all and I can see it clearly. But i was thinking if i just replaced the gold bead with one that is 3/32 on the sight thats on the rifle, will it fit? One reason im asking this is because im unable to tap the front sight out of its dovetail, never seen one this stubborn before. Any suggestions?
g rice
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Re: FRONT SIGHT QUESTION BROWNING 1886 RIFLE 26 INCH BARREL

Post by markinalpine »

For a stubborn dovetail sight, front or rear, try some Kroil.
Actually, there are probably plenty of other penetrating oils, but I usually have Kroil on hand.
Good luck,
Mark :lol:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I had exactly the same problem and I replaced mine with a green fiber optic. As for the stuck sight in the dovetail I had ythe same trouble as well. I used a small pin point butane torch to add a little heat, and then tapped, still no luck so a little more heat and try again. The third time was a charm. Take the heat slow and easy. Good luck.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

SJPrice wrote:I had exactly the same problem and I replaced mine with a green fiber optic. As for the stuck sight in the dovetail I had ythe same trouble as well. I used a small pin point butane torch to add a little heat, and then tapped, still no luck so a little more heat and try again. The third time was a charm. Take the heat slow and easy. Good luck.
What height sight did you replace it with?
g rice
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

If I remember right, it was a .370, but I chose the height to match the Smith Full Buckhorn rear sight. I use the full buckhorn like a rear peep sight.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd